Kicked in the face

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tonight a brown belt did a hook kick to my right cheek beneath my eye, causing the worst headache thus far of my life.

The first 5 seconds of my reaction I could not control. I yelped, spun around so my back was to my opponent, and doubled over with my hands over my face. Rob (who usually has great control and has never kicked me in the face nor used too much power before tonight) immediately asked if I was okay. I said yes, and that round of fighting was over. At this point I was trying very hard to stay steady, not cry, not sit down, not lean on the wall... because I know from experience that there is no worse feeling than seeing someone else in pain because of something you have done. I know he did not mean it, and when asked if I was dizzy, had blurry vision, needed an icepack, I ignored the questions and smiled and told them really, I was fine.

Apparently I played the part too well; I was told to fight again two minutes later, and I didn't want to say no after all my "I'm fine's". How do you balance not making the other person feel bad with not being told to do something you're not ready for? I certainly didnt feel up to fighting again, but I did. What should I have done differently so the person who accidentally kicked me didnt feel terrible but have it clear to the instructor that I'm done for the night?

My head hurts soooo badly. its unfreakinreal

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Your reaction of not wanting to hurt the other person's feeling was natural. But remember a kick to the head can cause serious problems for you. ALWAYS take some time out to assess things. Sit down, keep smiling if you can but make sure you are okay before you go on. Are you swelling, Sam? Can you see clearly? You have to really be careful with facial and head injuries. Please see a doctor if you have any problems and the headache doesn't clear by tomorrow.:)

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First off, I'm sorry you were hurt. Secondly, see a doctor if there is any possibility that you sustained a head injury of any type.

I hate to say this, but the bad feeling they get from injuring a partner is a good, if unpleasant, reminder to control their techniques and nothing for YOU to feel bad about - although I do understand your sentiments and admire your self-discipline.

One idea is to simply say that, while ok, you need a breather before continuing to another round.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sam, as to your question, what you do is say, "I'm fine, Sir, but I would like to sit this one out, please."

Try to talk to your instructor privately about the injury so the other student doesn't get that complex you're talking about.

I echo Lisa's advice and recommend you see a doctor - SOON.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
Your reaction of not wanting to hurt the other person's feeling was natural. But remember a kick to the head can cause serious problems for you. ALWAYS take some time out to assess things. Sit down, keep smiling if you can but make sure you are okay before you go on. Are you swelling, Sam? Can you see clearly? You have to really be careful with facial and head injuries. Please see a doctor if you have any problems and the headache doesn't clear by tomorrow.:)

Looks like our posts crossed! I am glad, however, that both of our first instincts were to suggest medical care. Seriously, Sam, this is SO important that I will post again. See a doctor if you are dizzy, feel injured, have trouble seeing, concentrating, whatever. Head injuries are SERIOUS stuff.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ditto all the way across, especially about the medical care. Sounds like you've got a concussion.

It was nice of you to downplay the injury but by agreeing to fight again, you risked a much more severe one, had you taken another blow to the head. You've gotta take care of yourself. Sorry to hear you were hurt.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
jdinca said:
Ditto all the way across, especially about the medical care. Sounds like you've got a concussion.

It was nice of you to downplay the injury but by agreeing to fight again, you risked a much more severe one, had you taken another blow to the head. You've gotta take care of yourself. Sorry to hear you were hurt.
Yeah, with a head shot like the one described in this thread there's always a strong possibility of a concussion. This is where the master instructor always has to be aware during full contact sparring. Even if the student is being brave and wants to continue scrapping, the instructor has to assess the student's condition and not let the student continue if necessary. In situations like this I believe that it's really up to the instructor to shut it down for his injured student so that he/she doesn't get maimed... :mst:

Jagermeister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There's no point in acting tough. It's sparring, not competition, and if you're hurt, you need to be responsible and honest, and take a break for a while. This is not a "no pain, no gain" moment.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well...That'll clear the sinuses(sp)...

Anyways, I've been kicked in the face as well in about the same place, and it really hurts, but don't let it discourage you, at least you know you can survive...and you won't be as afraid next time when kicks are flying past your head...

On the medical side, if your head ache persists, even after taking a couple Motrin etc...Seek Medical attention asap...Other than that...you'll be fine...just wanna make sure you don't have a concusion or anything.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sam said:
At this point I was trying very hard to stay steady, not cry, not sit down, not lean on the wall... because I know from experience that there is no worse feeling than seeing someone else in pain because of something you have done. I know he did not mean it, and when asked if I was dizzy, had blurry vision, needed an icepack, I ignored the questions and smiled and told them really, I was fine.

Huh.

Sam, what you describe is completely foreign to my thought processes.

I guess I'm just a sado-masochist.

But if I throw a kick at your head, I'm gonna mean for you to get hurt. Possibly I won't mean for you to be injured, but I'd be crazy not to be aware of and accept the possibility.

Don't worry about how the other person feels, especially if you're putting yourself in danger - which you were by sparring again and not telling your training partner that you weren't ready.

Do try to stay on your feet next time.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rutherford said:
Huh.

Sam, what you describe is completely foreign to my thought processes.

I guess I'm just a sado-masochist.

But if I throw a kick at your head, I'm gonna mean for you to get hurt. Possibly I won't mean for you to be injured, but I'd be crazy not to be aware of and accept the possibility.

Don't worry about how the other person feels, especially if you're putting yourself in danger - which you were by sparring again and not telling your training partner that you weren't ready.

Do try to stay on your feet next time.

I agree with all parts except the sado-masochist part. :D Oh wait.... I sort of agree with that too! LOL

With all due respect, I understand it was shocking and it hurt, but things like this happen from time to time in our training (where someone gets hurt -not injured). However, the way we train, if I get hit or kicked, I didn't move. So it would be somewhat positive feedback for us... Also, a person should be able to recieve the shock of an attack like this. If this were to occur on the street, how would someone react...?

Although, I do hope that everything is OK now. I was once knocked out in training (not long after I started). I fell backwards and hit my head and I was out for brief amount of time. Talk about a sinus drainer. WHEW! It was lights out. I probably should have went to the emergency room to be checked out. But I didn't. I had no problems with sitting out of training for about 15 minutes.

There is nothing wrong with sitting out if you are hurt bad enough that it keeps you from learning. In all fairness, there is a certain amount of danger that comes along with training.

I hope all is well now.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jagermeister said:
There's no point in acting tough. It's sparring, not competition, and if you're hurt, you need to be responsible and honest, and take a break for a while. This is not a "no pain, no gain" moment.
I fully agree with this, and here's why:

- Honesty with your partner in training is paramount. Your partner deserves to have accurate and honest feedback regarding the effect of this strike on you.

- Honesty with your teacher in training is paramount. He/she is responsible for your health and well being while training with them, and they're not able to effectively assess the situation and take appropriate action if you're too busy protecting your own ego.

- Honesty with yourself at all times, is the key to self respect and health, both mental and physical. What if you have a concussion, or some other physical injury? Are you too tough to get it treated? This isn't the path of personal responsibility.

qizmoduis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I got kicked in the face a couple of years ago in class. I was holding a kicking bag for a guy doing crossover rear kicks. Unfortunately, I'm a bit on the short side, and he was an ex-TKD guy, and a little bit more flexible the we both expected, and his foot popped right up over the edge of the bag and klonked me right on the cheekbone. That was the hardest hit I've ever taken in my life and made me collapse like a rag doll. Needless to say, I sat out the rest of the class. Oddly, I only got a mild bruise.

He spent the next half-dozen classes apologizing. I finally convinced him that just one apology was more than enough. Stuff happens.

OP
S

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
wow, awful lot of responses in a short time, thanks guys.

The headache went away, I've got a lovely bruise under my eye. I am not in a hurry to repeat that experience. I'll think twice about jamming him again, that's for sure. :)

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We all get rocked from a knock to the head once and a while, it's an unfortunate part of the game.

The on paper answer is to sit out a couple rounds and go see a doctor if it persists. Chances are you'll be fine, but better safe then sorry.

We, as martial artists, tend to be a bunch of hypocrites though...

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
We all get rocked from a knock to the head once and a while, it's an unfortunate part of the game.

The on paper answer is to sit out a couple rounds and go see a doctor if it persists. Chances are you'll be fine, but better safe then sorry.

We, as martial artists, tend to be a bunch of hypocrites though...

Agreed....

But it is important that you are honest with your training partners and your instructor at all times, your instructor is responsible for your safety while you are there, and if he doesn’t have all the facts you could be putting yourself in real danger! There is no real advantage to your training to act tough.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Most of mine are self inflicted! ROFL! I am regularly smoking myself in the head with a stick in the back yard. What my neighbours must think of me.....

OP
S

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
Most of mine are self inflicted! ROFL! I am regularly smoking myself in the head with a stick in the back yard. What my neighbours must think of me.....

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's my theory: if I throw it, it is my responsibility to control it. If I hit you, and you tell me it was less forceful than it was, I have no opportunity to adjust my focus/force for the next time. So while it was very thoughtful of you to try to spare your opponent's feelings, in the long run, you're not helping him to improve his focus, because he has no way of knowing how hard he hit you unless you tell him.

That being said - if you have any signs of concussion - dizziness, double vision, headache that won't go away, feeling sleepy when you ordinarily wouldn't, trouble staying awake - GO SEE A DOCTOR. If there is any chance you have a concussion, you should get checked. Another student I know was clocked in the face, and the bruises came up on the eye socket on the other side, because he was hit hard enough to make his brain slosh, and break some blood vessels (the cause of bruising) around his other eye (so, punched on the left side of the face, but massive bruising on the right side). You may not know about that type of injury unless you see a doctor. Sure, it's annoying, it's time-consuming, there's some cost (depending on your insurance) - but this is your BRAIN we're talking about here. Please take care of yourself.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sam,
what happened to you by acident is what happens in the real worls in a fight. Pain happens and all the rank and belts inthe world are useless if you can't deal with it when it happens.
No one (well not everyone) likes to get hit hard in the face when they practice but it happens and the best thinkg you can do is to continue sparring as soon as possible. Learning to deal with getting hit was part of what the martial arts was about at one time

Latest Discussions