Kicked in the face

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
Sam,
what happened to you by acident is what happens in the real worls in a fight. Pain happens and all the rank and belts inthe world are useless if you can't deal with it when it happens.
No one (well not everyone) likes to get hit hard in the face when they practice but it happens and the best thinkg you can do is to continue sparring as soon as possible. Learning to deal with getting hit was part of what the martial arts was about at one time

It depends on why you train....not everyone trains just so they can defend themselves in 'real life' situations. I never started MA for self defense so why would I wont to act all tough when I have been hurt, Ive got nothing to 'prove' to anyone.

Sure if you are training purely for self defense reasons learning to take a hit is part of it, but kicks to the head can be very serious and if you don’t take the necessary precautions in training when you are kicked you could well not live to see a 'real fight'.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
On the other side of the coin, I was sparring a kid about 13 years old once. He dropped his hands, and I went to tap him in the face. Would've been fine, but he'd dropped his hands while he was concentrating on rushing me. So he hit my fist at full tilt at about the same time I was hitting full extension. His head snapped sideways. He said he was ok, but I figured that he felt it more than he was letting on. I didn't feel great about slugging a kid even if he outranked me, but we both understood that there were risks involved in sparring. I've taken the occasional lump as well. It happens.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been hit twice by my instructor in the face, that I can recall

Once was on a spinning hook kick, except he shortened it and hit me with the ball of the foot rather than the heel, so it was more a hard slap than a thud, this was intnetional to remind me to keep my guard up

Then there was the roundhouse kick that was aimed for my chest but for some reason I ducked into; the old 'secret face block' technique. That one hurt quite a bit more : )

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
Sam,
what happened to you by acident is what happens in the real worls in a fight. Pain happens and all the rank and belts inthe world are useless if you can't deal with it when it happens.
No one (well not everyone) likes to get hit hard in the face when they practice but it happens and the best thinkg you can do is to continue sparring as soon as possible. Learning to deal with getting hit was part of what the martial arts was about at one time

Judging from her original post, she did quite well at continuing after being hit. It was the other forum members, myself included, who recommended that she seek medical care and that continuing (if she has a concussion) may put her health in jeopardy. I've continued after getting seriously bruised ribs (after a breather and I did not know the extent of how badly I was hit) and this was GREAT training for me. I've also continued after getting knocked by a near full power side kick in the solar plexus. Again, this was great training. However, a head injury is quite different and she has her whole life ahead of her so I personally would like to see her stop and get checked out when this happens. I get your point, though, and it is well taken.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, last year I watched a sparring match when a 17 year old brown belt got kicked in the face by another brown belt. She dropped immediately to the floor and had to be taken by ambulance to the hospital. She not only got a concussion, she also had severe whiplash to her neck.

I also saw another sparring match where one was doing a ridgehand to the head. Unfortunately, the opponent turned his face into it (the blocking hand missed the ridgehand) and got the cheekbone fractured. He didn't know it was fractured at first and tried to continue sparring, saying he is ok and everything's fine. He eventually had to stop as his head started really hurting badly. He then confessed to his instructor he really didn't feel well. He was taken to the hospital shortly thereafter by his instructor.

Things can and do happen. Be upfront with your partners and your instructor(s) if you get hurt. Just simply saying you're okay when you're not does a disservice to everyone.

- Ceicei

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
Then there was the roundhouse kick that was aimed for my chest but for some reason I ducked into; the old 'secret face block' technique. That one hurt quite a bit more : )

Ooh, I've done exactly the same thing. Busted my nose up good. How'd you come out of it?

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Adept said:
Ooh, I've done exactly the same thing. Busted my nose up good. How'd you come out of it?

Actually I came out okay. He wasnt going for full contact, so I got a bloody nose and was stunned for a bit but no lasting effect and nothing broken. It *did* hurt quite a bit, but after a few minutes to clean the blood and clear my head, I was able to go on. It *was* quite embarrasing, too

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been lucky just to have received pretty bruises from sparring. I do remember dummying for a mass attack where I was supposed to take a spinning reverse crescent to the head. Here he comes, my hand comes up to the side of my head in preparation, and the next thing I know I'm flying across the mat from a spinning rear thrust to the gut. The first beer was on him. :drinkbeer

SAVAGE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sam said:
How do you balance not making the other person feel bad with not being told to do something you're not ready for?

Learn to duck!!!!!

Seriuously..I would say go get a scan...better safe then sorry. I hope that by the time I post this you are well and fighting fit again.

I think wanting to put someones feelings before your physical wellbeing is not the right thing to do...make sure you are all right, his feelings can be repaired a busted head may take a little longer IMHO!

Sam take care of yourself first next time...then reassure him that you are fine and that accidents dio happen all the time!