Girls blood is scarier than boys?

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tonight, for the second time in 30 day's time, I've stuck my nose on my opponent's elbow. Although, to my credit, this second time, I didn't stop fighting.

I think it came as quite a shock to my male opponent when three clashes later my nose began bleeding profusely.

I was actually quite relieved because my eyes were watering profusely and I did NOT want tears running down my face with no apparent injury, but once I was bleeding all over I felt justified in a few silent tears.

The first time I got a bloody nose, I didn't really notice this. But looking back, it was true then. (I didnt tell you guys about it cuz it happend over lent.) But sparring class just STOPS. It's like I'm the first girl to have a bloody nose or something. I've seen a couple guys get em, and the instructors sort of shoo em off to the bathroom and throw em an ice pack. When I get a bloody nose I get 14 degrees of black belt standing around me, asking if I'm alright.

Like, yeah, okay, it hurts, but its not the end of the world, and you all gawking at me isnt gonna make it feel any better.

I felt really really bad for the guy I was sparring. He literally didn't do ANYTHING. He was cowering on the back line and I penetrated with my hands and stuck my nose on his UNMOVING upward block.
But he apologized like 14 thousand times.

I just want to be shooed off to the bathroom and thrown an icepack like everyone else I guess.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
yeah girls bleed everyone looks at my shcool too, guys bleed they get sent to the sink to clean up and return to class when they are finished ...i guess we are more special :)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sam said:
I was actually quite relieved because my eyes were watering profusely and I did NOT want tears running down my face with no apparent injury, but once I was bleeding all over I felt justified in a few silent tears.

Tears or eyes watering is a reflexsive action when the nose is struck. This can happen even if one can take more pain elsewhere.

Do not worry about the water in the eyes.

Work on the "Keeping the Nose clear" :)

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sam said:
Tonight, for the second time in 30 day's time, I've stuck my nose on my opponent's elbow. Although, to my credit, this second time, I didn't stop fighting.

Good stuff, my personal opinion is if you are training with competition or self-defence in mind that is a reflex you need, that if you get hurt you keep fighting.

Now before I get flamed (and based on that rightly so) that doesn't mean keep fighting and make a big mess, get hurt worse and not go treat your injury...

What I mean is your mind and body should still be in the fight immediately after getting hit. A second later making the conscious decission to go take care of yourself because this is only training needs to happen.

But to get hit, and immediately, without thought, stop fighting, turn and cower, drop your hands, etc. is a very bad habit many people have...

I think it came as quite a shock to my male opponent when three clashes later my nose began bleeding profusely.

Most guys are like that, don't take it personally. We all grew up in a "Don't hit a girl" culture, and it's a part of who we are.

Guys on the other hand we spent most of our childhood accidentally hurting and getting hurt by. Right back to reccess sports, if someone got hurt they sat out till they where ready, hopefully without a teacher ever finding out cause then our game would get stopped...

When the nose is hit, the eyes water. It happens to everyone, especially the first lot of times your nose gets hit. It's not crying, and nothing to be ashamed of, just a natural response the body has.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Sam said:
I just want to be shooed off to the bathroom and thrown an icepack like everyone else I guess.

I understand your feeling, I help coach girls teams. As I have found out, They are more ferocious athletes than the boy teams now, working harder, trying harder, etc.. And, still are looked down upon, as something less than athletes. The more I interact with them and see their determination, I see them just as athletes. (Like Tom Hanks' character finally saw Geena Davis's character as a ball player, instead of a girl--LOL)I understand both sides of the argument. Maybe as a culture we'll get there.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
However, If we just take the question of the thread in general though, and compare it to this Metrosexual stuff men are doing now, I would say no!
icon10.gif

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Come to my camp!women are equals meaning if you get a bloody nose then ''tissues are over there hurry up''....I actually got press-ups a number of times for going to easy on girls in my classes....hey man punching women is not cool!!

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Odin said:
I actually got press-ups a number of times for going to easy on girls in my classes....hey man punching women is not cool!!

I know what you mean about punching women not being cool.I dont like to strike at women in class,so when my coach pairs me up with a female,I always take care only to go as hard as necessary.I dont want to go to light either, because to do so would cheat them of their training,but I am always extra careful though.I strike med strikes to the legs and midsection ,but I never actually make contact with the face.I just cant do it.I dont like it when men hit or roughhouse females,I have always felt that men should hit women,so whenever I have to spar with them(which is rare);I always pay respects.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My fiances last test line she was running multiple attacker randori and caught a HARD straight right to the nose. She was bleeding, tearing up and all the things that go with a busted nose but kept on defending herself with a great deal of efficiency. I was so proud. To the credit of everyone attacking her they just slowed for a half second, saw her looking for the next attack and came at her again. She finished the line, looked to sensei who just smiled and sent her to the head. For a while when we first started the guys went easy on her. Now, enough of them have had to deal with her on a regular basis that they see her as an equal.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Someone else's blood isn't something to mess around with.

IMO as soon as anyone starts bleeding a lot, class should be stopped.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
Someone else's blood isn't something to mess around with.

IMO as soon as anyone starts bleeding a lot, class should be stopped.

Thats why we wear black gis.... to hide the blood. :) Blood borne infectious disease transmission between two people is pretty difficult. Unless you are spraying blood ala the Black Knight, you can keep going for a bit. We usually keep going until it starts to get pretty messy, it gets people used to fighting even after they've been hurt.

Lamont

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Slihn said:
I know what you mean about punching women not being cool.I dont like to strike at women in class,so when my coach pairs me up with a female,I always take care only to go as hard as necessary.I dont want to go to light either, because to do so would cheat them of their training,but I am always extra careful though.I strike med strikes to the legs and midsection ,but I never actually make contact with the face.I just cant do it.I dont like it when men hit or roughhouse females,I have always felt that men should hit women,so whenever I have to spar with them(which is rare);I always pay respects.

See my thing is and im not being nasty but i can hit a girl much harder then she can hit me,thats why i feel bad...i mean my 60% can sometimes be her 100% so when im going at someone at 60% I could be knocking her head off......I'll be honest I dont like training with women it makes me uncomfortable,it nothing to do with them being inferior or anything like that its just I feel wierd punching them in the face and also feel im going to accidently grab her boob while clinching and have her think I'm tring to touch her up or something....not cool...I stay clear of girls....only in the class though of course. : )

JamesYazell

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When I spar the girls I usually don't treat them much diffrent from the guys. A guy on the street isn't going to give them 60% of his best. I don't go for blood or anything, but I just treat them like a male that is smaller then me to make the appropriate adjustments.

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Odin said:
See my thing is and im not being nasty but i can hit a girl much harder then she can hit me,thats why i feel bad...i mean my 60% can sometimes be her 100% so when im going at someone at 60% I could be knocking her head off......I'll be honest I dont like training with women it makes me uncomfortable,it nothing to do with them being inferior or anything like that its just I feel wierd punching them in the face and also feel im going to accidently grab her boob while clinching and have her think I'm tring to touch her up or something....not cool...I stay clear of girls....only in the class though of course. : )

..yeah,I try to stear away from girls in the gym for that very same reason.With some fighters(those who often rush in with punches) I quickly attempt to close the gap,with tight(more Jujitsu/Judo like) clinching,then deliver hard liver/head punches.Clinching that close with a female would make me feel very uncomfortable(and I couldnt hit a girl in the face).Grappling and ground fighting would be out of the question.

I guess Im just old school when it comes down to this,its not like an inferioror thing or something as such,its just that I feel that men be gentlemen,mannerable and show respect to women;not hit (or slap or bully)women.

Latest Discussions