Keep on Kicking!

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
How do you bite with your leg? What does sticky mean? And what are the 20 different functions? I only see 11, not 40. As I'm not an effective kicker, I would like to learn all 20 and their uses. Thank you :asian:

I'm not certain , but he could be referring to "sticking legs".
Just as with the hands , there is the "sticking hands " exercise called Chi Sau , the analog to that with the legs is called Chi Gerk .
It mainly consists of a lot of sweeping , hooking and locking movements done with the legs at close range.

Don't ask me how to bite with your leg , because I've got nothing.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not certain , but he could be referring to "sticking legs".
Just as with the hands , there is the "sticking hands " exercise called Chi Sau , the analog to that with the legs is called Chi Gerk .
It mainly consists of a lot of sweeping , hooking and locking movements done with the legs at close range.

Don't ask me how to bite with your leg , because I've got nothing.

First, let your toenails grow out...

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
How do you bite with your leg? What does sticky mean? And what are the 20 different functions? I only see 11, not 40. As I'm not an effective kicker, I would like to learn all 20 and their uses. Thank you :asian:

Tape nails to your leg. Wrap your leg around them. Kerblam!
Cover your legs in glue. Wrap your leg around them. Kerblam!
There are 20 different codified ways you can tape nails to your legs or cover them in glue.
...Kerblam!

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People often say (our TKD section included!) that kicking isn't practical, that in self defence situations we should use our hands rather than our feet etc.

I don't see people say that kicking isn't practical in self defense, so much as high kicking is not advisible in self defense. Outside of tournaments and practice, kicks should be generally no higher than the mid-section and punches should be no lower than the mid-section. I have used kicks that I learned in taekwondo in self defense, and without fail, they have been no higher than waist level.

Also, high kicking tends to open up parts of your body that are normally more closed off, reduces your balance, affords greater opportunity for an opponent to grab your leg, and finally, high kicks are inherently slower than punches due to having to travel much further to reach their target.

I won't say that high kicking cannot or should not be used in self defense, but I will say that it should be the exception rather than the rule.

Latest Discussions