Kajukenbo forms (Palama SetS)

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Got out an old Black Belt mag that had some info on Kajukenbo. In it they talked about the forms/kata were formerly known as the pinan forms. They change the name to palama sets. These are not the same pinan kata's found in Okinawan Karate is it? I do know for one there are only 5 pinan Okinawan kata's. while the kajukenbo have 14 pinan forms. Are there any Kajukenbo practioners on board that could answer this.
Bob:asian:

kenmpoka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kempojujutsu

Got out an old Black Belt mag that had some info on Kajukenbo. In it they talked about the forms/kata were formerly known as the pinan forms. They change the name to palama sets. These are not the same pinan kata's found in Okinawan Karate is it? I do know for one there are only 5 pinan Okinawan kata's. while the kajukenbo have 14 pinan forms. Are there any Kajukenbo practioners on board that could answer this.
Bob:asian:
NO, Kempojujutsu,
They are not the same as the Okinawan version at all.
:asian:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I agree, they are completely different than the Okinawan forms. They are pretty interesting, Pinians (Palamas sets) 5 and 6 are the same form but 5 is done using fist attacks, and 6 is done with all open hand application. If I remember correctly 7 is a big kicking form, owing heavily to Kaju's Tang Soo Do roots.

The odd thing to me is that they differ substantially from the techniques. Meaining that virtually every single Kaju technique tends to have a takedown associated with it, but you never see it explicitly in the form like you do in the Forms 5 of Parker Kenpo.
Most of the forms are initially taught as punch/kick sets, maybe there is a greater bunkai involved, but I never learned it.

The Won Hop Kuen Do guys call these forms their Monkey Sets.

Lamont

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree, they are completely different than the Okinawan forms. They are pretty interesting, Pinians (Palamas sets) 5 and 6 are the same form but 5 is done using fist attacks, and 6 is done with all open hand application. If I remember correctly 7 is a big kicking form, owing heavily to Kaju's Tang Soo Do roots.

The odd thing to me is that they differ substantially from the techniques. Meaining that virtually every single Kaju technique tends to have a takedown associated with it, but you never see it explicitly in the form like you do in the Forms 5 of Parker Kenpo.
Most of the forms are initially taught as punch/kick sets, maybe there is a greater bunkai involved, but I never learned it.

The Won Hop Kuen Do guys call these forms their Monkey Sets.

Lamont

Yeah they're called a lot of things including "Monkey Dances" etc.

[Just thought I'd ressurect the oldest thread in this section]

Latest Discussions