Inquiring About Schools

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am new to the Seattle - Tacoma area, and I have been looking at enrolling both my kids and myself into some of the schools in this area...

I was wondering if anyone could provide me info on the following:

Beard's Kempo Karate (teaching Utani-Chi Kempo Karate, whatever that is)

Chuan Tao Kung Fu ('[I}chuan tao[/I]" means only "fist way," but I haven't really heard it stated that way before... Wondering if it is grammatically correct; they teach, of all things, Shaolin Chuan Tao kung fu - go figure)

Unified Martial Arts (not sure what they teach, but they are in the local area of Lakewood or so)

Not trying so much to advance my training as that of my children. I have been doing Yili for sixteen years, and have more than enough to train with on that, in addition to the Modern Arnis and Ryu Te Karate I have learned... But I am looking for a good "starter" school for my kids (which I may join along with them, to encourage my kids to practice)>

Any information anyone can provide would be helpful.

Domo arigato gozaimashita!

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chuan Tao? Sounds kinda funny. I've heard chuan fa, but never chuan tao.

If you have the time, I'd really suggest just visiting each school and seeing for yourself if it'd be something you'd want your children to be doing. If you find something you think would be appropriate, then maybe you can work out a deal where your children (and possibly yourself) can attend for no charge provided you do weekly/montly seminars for the other students of the school. Just a thought. It would allow your family to train for little-to-no cost while allowing you to share your system and keep your skills in that system sharp.

Cthulhu

OP
Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have been doing the MA game for a while, and I know that the key to finding out about a school is watching classes and asking questions...

However, with the advent of the internet, the ability to contact tons of people with varied experiences is a resource that can't be neglected...

The Chuan Tao people I have not watched yet. I saw their website, and they seem harmless enough. Believe it or not, there is a Shaolin teacher in the area that apparently doesn't know what Chuan Fa is!

Anyway...

From my sit downs with the owner of the Kempo school, as well as having watched his class, I think he is "mostly harmless" in the Douglas Adams vein... I think he has good info to offer my son, and I may join him in his training to help support him and keep him motivated. I don't know quite everything yet (just almost everything :D ), so who knows... I might learn a thing or two as well.

Hadn't thought about the seminar thing. Might keep that in mind. Thanks.

Gambarimasu.

Latest Discussions