Somethings just clicked

TheWellWisher

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I started muay thai a few months back, though only got into it seriously recently. At first it was for self defence, I enjoyed it by all means but now, it's a real important part of my life, I HAVE to do it. My club almost feels like a family. Made my life so much better. Has this sudden realization that you love your training happened to anyone else?

BTW, I've not taken a Class A happy drug before you ask

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started muay thai a few months back, though only got into it seriously recently. At first it was for self defence, I enjoyed it by all means but now, it's a real important part of my life, I HAVE to do it. My club almost feels like a family. Made my life so much better. Has this sudden realization that you love your training happened to anyone else?

Short answer.... Yes. Depending on how much time you spend there, your classmates become part of your life, like a family.

In Kajukenbo, we this call this "Ohana" or family. I know in our dojo as a whole, we are all very close. We not only train together, we hang out at each others' houses and do a lot of activities together. And, when crap has hit the fan, we have also gone to war for each other. Hell, even our kids are all close. Now I'm sure there not all like that, I'm only drawing from my own experience, but yes, it's a good feeling!

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know exactly what you're talking about. I started training for self defense and now I "can't quit" because the guys have become just like family. :) In fact, my sensei and the other guys are all coming to my wedding next month! It was never even a thought in my mind that they wouldn't do whatever they could to be there.

Robyn :asian:

prokarateshop

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think you have truly learned the essence of MA. It's not to kick butt, but bond with other like minds and experience the journey..

Knives

Orange Belt
Reaction score

I'm going through the exact same thing as you right now. You're not alone :) It's a wonderful feeling.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know exactly what you are talking about. I started tkd just to get fit , flexible and feel good physically. Now I go and train rain , hail or shine and my only regret is that I didnt start doing this years ago.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to the addiction :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

love my training….. nope …. not me… can’t stand it…… and as far as I know it has been that way for over 30 years of training :EG: :D

Welcome to the addiction :D

:jaw-dropping: Addiction... just WHAT are YOU implying :tantrum: ... I'm not addicted..... I have no idea WHAT you are talking about :idunno: ...addiction...phfffft

Now if you will EXCUSE me I must go shut myself in one of our computer rooms so I can train a bit... it has been about 4 hours since I last trained you know :cool:.... BUT I'm not addicted... I can stop any... time... I... want.... yeah that's it.. I can stop if I want to :anic:

note: Denial is the symptom of addiction that us addicts know best ;)

jeorf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Funny - my school had been my "family" (including my husband for literalness) for years before I started. Dynamics changed when I became a student. But yeah, there was a time when I started to feel like I belonged, was a part of the TKD community. Wonderful. Then, after BB we joked that I had joined "the club".

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
the addiction idea is right... at least for me. i need my MA fix, even if i'm out of town or on vacation. then i find another gym and train for the short time i'm there.

it's amazing. the sheer amount of friendly people you'll meet that share the same passion/addiction for the MA's.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I feel you on the addiction question (purely in the abstract, you know. :wink2:) When I first decided to move to a new city, I nixed a few prospects because there was no Systema there.

Is there a 12-step program for martial arts?

alphacat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree on the addiction part.
I must say that my studies haven been pretty much neglected since I got into martial arts, and it really worries me.

I really need to stop thinking on this stuff during all my free time and clear some time for studying as well.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Is there a 12-step program for martial arts?

Off the top of my head, and with a little help from the NA website.

The Twelve Steps of Martial Artists Anonymous:

1. We admit we were powerless over training, and that it became unmanageable to a point where training, exercise, and an inordinate amount of Kung Fu flicks weren't enough.

2. Come to believe that there is always someone more powerful than you in tournament, or on the street, and that harsh realization can restore you to your sanity.

3. Understand that your MA fix can also come from Youtube, the movies, or breakdancing and can infect multiple aspects of your life.

4. Understand that Competition vs. SD is not a moral decision.

5. Admit to "God", your coach/sensei/etc and another human being the exact nature of your poor technique.

6. Leave it up to "God" and your coach/sensei/etc to correct your poor technique so you can stop worrying about your learning curve.

7. Humbly leave your ego at the door.

8. Make a list of all the people you tweaked in training, and apologize to each and everyone of them in person. Then roll/spar with them anyway.

9. Make direct amends to all damage done by rolling/sparring by supplying your gym with Purell, bandages, splints, granola bars, and party favors.

10. Take personal inventory of all gear bought in the past year, and compare that to your your take-home wages for that same year. Is your training gear worth more than your car?

11. Meditate and understand that throwing bombs while boxing is not always good, and will get you knocked out by someone better than you.

12. Having made measures to correct our addiction to the MAs, it's imperative that there are things in life like art, music, and the proliferation of the message of world peace that might supersede one's addiction to the MA's and there is a whole world out there, ready to be explored.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
12. Having made measures to correct our addiction to the MAs, it's imperative that there are things in life like art, music, and the proliferation of the message of world peace that might supersede one's addiction to the MA's and there is a whole world out there, ready to be explored.

Sorry :idunno:

I just don't get this last one :confused:

There is something outside of MA :rolleyes:

Who you trying to kid :ubercool: