Kou Bu Ryu Karate??

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with this?

My daughters Martial Arts Center, teaches predominately Korean arts, including TKD (which she is taking), Hapkido, etc. In addition, they teach a traditional Okinawan Karate they call Kou Bu Ryu. Upon trying to find out more about this, mainly out of just plain curiosity, as I had not heard of it before, it seems to be related to Pwang Gai Noon Ryu, or Han Ko Nan Ryu.

Anyone know anything more? I'm just curious as I had never heard of that style before. :asian:

Mike

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not that I'm familiar with this style but it seems to be a splinter from Uechi Ryu which is one of the genuine traditional martial arts of Okinawa. If they are following the teaching of Kanbun Uechi, it should be very good.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uechi-ryū
:asian:

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is a splinter group off of Uechi-Ryu. Here is a little of their history. There is a school close by where I live that teaches this style also, which is where I had first heard of it.

http://www.3battleskarate.com/style.php

I believe that after Kanbun & Kanei Uechi died there were some groups that split off from the main Uechi style and renamed what they did. This style was called Pangainoon Ryu at one point, and then renamed as "Konan Ryu" and then in 2000, it was renamed again to Kobu-Ryu (Kinjo's fighting style). They use the same main 8 kata of Uechi ryu and an additional one that Kinjo Sensei developed.

OP
Spinedoc

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It is a splinter group off of Uechi-Ryu. Here is a little of their history. There is a school close by where I live that teaches this style also, which is where I had first heard of it.

http://www.3battleskarate.com/style.php

I believe that after Kanbun & Kanei Uechi died there were some groups that split off from the main Uechi style and renamed what they did. This style was called Pangainoon Ryu at one point, and then renamed as "Konan Ryu" and then in 2000, it was renamed again to Kobu-Ryu (Kinjo's fighting style). They use the same main 8 kata of Uechi ryu and an additional one that Kinjo Sensei developed.

Thank you, that was very helpful. One of my friends, unbeknownst to me, is actually a student there. He's trying to convince me to come once a week to augment my Aikido training and to help with conditioning.....

I think I should just focus on the Aikido for now....NTTAWWT!

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thank you, that was very helpful. One of my friends, unbeknownst to me, is actually a student there. He's trying to convince me to come once a week to augment my Aikido training and to help with conditioning.....

I think I should just focus on the Aikido for now....NTTAWWT!
Maybe down the track a bit. Aikido training is great to help you understand karate but not necessarily vice versa. Aikido stresses keeping relaxed and blending with your opponent's energy, some karate is quite the opposite. I've not seen Uechi Ryu first hand but what you often see on Youtube is quite hard. The original name, 'Pangai-noon' was half hard, half soft , similar to 'Goju' which is hard and soft, but in practice the 'soft' is often missing. That's why I said it can help your karate but not vice versa.
:asian:

Latest Discussions