Judo Students Required to Take Karate by Instructor?

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ya know, my first thought was that for a certain time period up a certain rank, I could see requiring Judo students to take an inhouse karate class (at no additional charge/cost) to learn some basics on punching and kicking and then applying that to Judo's self-defense katas to understand a proper attack so you could do a proper defense. I remember when I studied Aikido for a short time, no on in the class knew how to throw even a basic punch unless they had other training. Even though punching/kicking was not a part of that branch of Aikido, it would have benefited the students to understand what they were really dealing with.

Much like many people say if you are going to teach takedown defense, you should know how to properly do a takedown.

I thought all of that, and then looked at the website. I don't know how/where they got the ranking on that. The founder of the style only talks about his karate background and then mentions out of nowhere starting a JJ federation. So, I'm not sure where that came from.

As to the demo. Who knows who the target audience was or it's purpose. Was it to just have entertainment and have the kids have fun? If so great. If it was to show effective techniques in a variety of situations or to properly show what is being taught. Epic Fail. Also, have any of you ever been to a child's piano recital? Not always the best, but it's a chance for them to be proud of their effort and I wouldn't judge the piano teacher on the effort and ability of some of the students. Remember, people have different reasons for doing martial arts and not everyone is top notch athletic ability.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Without looking at the vid, on the surface, there is nothing wrong with a teacher teaching Karate concepts to Judo students. Sometimes, you just need to crack 'em in the Jaw. :)

OP
N

Nick Stanovic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am surprised this thread has so much feedback and I appreciate all of it. It looks like I will be trying to enroll with the Kent State University Green Dragon Kung Fu Club and hoping to learn Chin Na since there isn't a Judo school around the 44224 ZIP. I saw videos of people using Judo as self defense during store robberies and it looks a lot easier to apply than try to land strikes from other MAs. The ability to learn how to properly fall with minimal risk of injury seems like a skill I would use often.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yes, and as for the 'sword' work in the demonstration:

OH GOD MY EYES!

About all I can say is that the "demo" was high energy. The gymnastics was barely above poor. The dance was worse. The kicks and other empty hand martial arts... even worse. 'Til the swords... About all I can say about that is that, fortunately, the wall-hangers they were playing with didn't break. (I presume they were wall-hangers 'cause I can't believe that anyone who'd put that demo on knows better...)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Without looking at the vid, on the surface, there is nothing wrong with a teacher teaching Karate concepts to Judo students. Sometimes, you just need to crack 'em in the Jaw. :)

Actually, that part, IN AND OF ITSELF AS AN IDEA, I don't have a problem with at all. In fact, as I understand it, many karate students in Japan are also judo students -- though I could very easily be wrong in that. I could see it, especially if the required class was one that focused on overlapping issues or conditioning -- or served as atemi training for the judoka.

But -- based on the "demo" -- I'll go with Chris Parker: Run screaming so that others will run away, too!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, sir! I think you insult almost all productions of Gilbert and Sullivan by saying as much! :lol:

Oh come on.

I am the very model of a self promoted system head
I'm certified, vegetable, animal, and mineral
I've trained the Kings of England and fought the fights historical
From Marathon to Waterloo, in order scizophrenical.

For my military knowledge, though plagiarized and fictional
Has only been brought down with the arrival of the internet
But still along with profiteering, made-up arts and belts for sale
I am the very model of a self promoted system head!

(uhhh....maybe its not such a good idea go post after playing a 3 hour gig with the band....)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by a moderator:

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well honestly after watching the video again I was actually expecting for a couple of folks to come out and demonstrate the Dillman no-touch knockout :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well honestly after watching the video again I was actually expecting for a couple of folks to come out and demonstrate the Dillman no-touch knockout :)

I've watched one of them, I actually managed to impress myself by not laughing out loud and waiting until I was outside to laugh so much I was crying. Funnily enough the group, who say Dillman taught them, were scheduled to do another demo at another seminar i was at but didn't, I'm thinking it was because Iain Abernethy was there as one of the instructors.

WCman1976

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Damn. At first I thought it sounded like a cool idea. I mean, yes it would be kind of cheesy for an instructor to force a different style on you...even for one class. It would have sounded better if they didn't charge for the different style. At any rate, it sounded cool that a grappling instructor would want his students to learn from a striking style as well.

Then I got to the video, and I quickly fell in agreement with what everyone else said about this place.

Too bad. They had a GERM of a good idea, but less than zero execution!

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Damn. At first I thought it sounded like a cool idea. I mean, yes it would be kind of cheesy for an instructor to force a different style on you...even for one class. It would have sounded better if they didn't charge for the different style. At any rate, it sounded cool that a grappling instructor would want his students to learn from a striking style as well.

Then I got to the video, and I quickly fell in agreement with what everyone else said about this place.

Too bad. They had a GERM of a good idea, but less than zero execution!
As a comparison, I study Aikido. We recognise the places where you use atemi. We don't practise kicks but we do practise strikes. They are different to karate punches so if I was an Aikido student in a school that did not train atemi, and the sensei sent me off to learn karate, I would actually be learning the wrong thing. Judo also had strikes and kicks in its martial form. IMHO, if the instructor was any good he would be training the strikes and kicks he wants, in his normal judo class. :asian:

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
OMFG.......No, No, No.......anyone who has done any amount of real formal gymnastics training would watch the way one or two of those children planted, took off, broke form in flight and then fell out of the landing and then screeched at the monitor screen while hiding thier eyes. Just the bass-ackwards stumbling is enough to ensure a law-suit. I can see small limbs being broken, I can garr-an-tee it. If I had a child in that school and saw that, I'd swoop across the mat, scoop up my kid, stuff them in the car, come back in, kick the teacher in the head a few times and be gone. Keee-rist! A White-belt Judoka knows how to fall! These kids don't even know that! My guess is this guy has watch a few UFC, a few Pride, some Jackie Chan, Every Jean Claude and Segal movie ever made and decided to start a scam. I hope a decent MAist cleans his clock. ( a decent mauy thia guy if there is a God)

Egon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This is probably martial arts at it's worst. Even no touch knockouts and Yellow Bamboos are better. Even if we look gymnastics and sport side, this poor child don't know how to fall or do a handstand. And those two with swords are to old for blaming like this.

Curlykarateka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
To be fair, he may have a point that judo in itself doesn't have any focus on striking, which can be s disadvantage as most guys will try to punch you. However, i cannot see why he can't teach both at once, as far as I can see Judo and Karate seem like a perfect combo and can easily be taught side by side. Ask the sensei about it

SacredCoconut

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well the idea in my mind is not bad. We had one class about falling, done by hapkido practisioner, because hes better at it. This was during our normal practice times.