Cultural Influences on Black Belt Timeframes

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
- The only Korean terms we have kept are the basic commands (attention, bow, ready, begin, etc).
Out of interest, why have you kept these? You say you've kept the things you feel have utility, what's the point of sticking to Korean for those basic terms rather than switching to English?

OP
MadMartigan

MadMartigan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Out of interest, why have you kept these? You say you've kept the things you feel have utility, what's the point of sticking to Korean for those basic terms rather than switching to English?
I won't lie. I have considered that question and the idea that perhaps completely switching to english would make sense. (I'm not the head of our group though, so my opinion is heard... but not the final word).

In the end, I do like keeping a small amount of tradition. Counting in Korean, bowing, and using the basic commands helps create an atmosphere that promotes focus during class. Beyond that, I don't know.

What do you feel the benefit is? (Honestly asking... like I said, my views on the matter are not etched in stone)

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I won't lie. I have considered that question and the idea that perhaps completely switching to english would make sense. (I'm not the head of our group though, so my opinion is heard... but not the final word).

In the end, I do like keeping a small amount of tradition. Counting in Korean, bowing, and using the basic commands helps create an atmosphere that promotes focus during class. Beyond that, I don't know.

Fair enough, that makes sense.

What do you feel the benefit is? (Honestly asking... like I said, my views on the matter are not etched in stone)

Errrr, good question and always happy to answer genuinely asked questions.

For me my philosophy is that it's my duty to learn Taekwondo as accurately as I can and to pass it on as accurately as I can. How I do that is up to me, I can use modern methods to improve how I do it, I can add to it, but I don't want to lose any of the upstream information. If my students go to Korea, I want them to fit in with any other Taekwondoin, doing things the same way as closely as they can.

The reason for this is that I feel it's my job to maintain Taekwondo for future generations, and improve it where I can.

So for me the upstream is Kukkiwon, I attend their courses and learn the techniques, history and etiquette as best I can - then try to pass it on to my students. That includes what a 1st Dan means, when master rank is, etc.

The benefit is not for me, or for my students, but for Taekwondo as a whole - at least that's the way I think/feel.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
However, they were also young military men, disciplined and at the peak of their physical fitness and abilities. I'm sure they learned fast; they were already tough.

A number of people, not just you, have made the point that military students would have been much tougher and stronger and more disciplined than civilian students, so they would have learned faster.

But, uh, I'm going to be honest here... most of the service members I've known in my life were just regular people who fixed trucks or did nursing or whatever, and yes, they have to maintain a certain basic level of fitness that many Americans lack, but most service members aren't hardcore athletes. An NCO friend of mine is posted in Japan currently, and she works hard at her job and all, but basically does the bare minimum exercise to pass PT requirements. I'm sure she could go take some karate classes if she wanted, but I doubt she'd learn any faster than any other woman in their 30s.

OP
MadMartigan

MadMartigan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
most of the service members I've known in my life were just regular people who fixed trucks or did nursing or whatever, and yes, they have to maintain a certain basic level of fitness that many Americans lack, but most service members aren't hardcore athletes.
True. Between all the service members and leos that I know (in the hundreds) they include some of the laziest people I've ever met... but also some of the hardest working/most athletic people too.

I know at least 1 highly regarded martial artist who (back then) had to 'earn' his privilege to be trained by his Sifu (who was asian). Anecdotally, I've heard that many asian teachers were quite selective on who they took on as students (not just anyone who walked in the door).

Even assuming that they would take any potential new student back then... which service members were knocking on that door? I would suggest that it would exclusively be the highest achievers (who would seek out gruelling workouts after a full work day).

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A number of people, not just you, have made the point that military students would have been much tougher and stronger and more disciplined than civilian students, so they would have learned faster.

But, uh, I'm going to be honest here... most of the service members I've known in my life were just regular people who fixed trucks or did nursing or whatever, and yes, they have to maintain a certain basic level of fitness that many Americans lack, but most service members aren't hardcore athletes. An NCO friend of mine is posted in Japan currently, and she works hard at her job and all, but basically does the bare minimum exercise to pass PT requirements. I'm sure she could go take some karate classes if she wanted, but I doubt she'd learn any faster than any other woman in their 30s.
I was trying to be inclusive, but I meant Marines. I mean, we are the best, but I didn't want to brag. It hurts the Army's feelings.

Latest Discussions