Jhoon Rhee's Martial Ballet(Tae Kwon Do)?

Inugami

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have a question involving the forms and combinations in Tae Kwon Do. At my school for the forms we do Jhoon Rhee's Martial Ballet. Are the combinations part of Jhoon Rhee's Martial Ballet or are they seperate? If they are seperate do all Tae Kwon Do schools get taught the same combinations? I know that the forms have different styles but i don't know about the combinations.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a question involving the forms and combinations in Tae Kwon Do. At my school for the forms we do Jhoon Rhee's Martial Ballet. Are the combinations part of Jhoon Rhee's Martial Ballet or are they seperate? If they are seperate do all Tae Kwon Do schools get taught the same combinations? I know that the forms have different styles but i don't know about the combinations.

I've never heard of 'combinations' in connection with TKD. There are combat sequences recoverable from the hyungs—many, in fact, for any given subsequence of movements within the hyung—but those are just the applications of the hyung movements, the moves that each 'combat subsequence' of the full hyung encodes... i.e., what the hyung is telling you about how to counter a given attack initiation. Maybe that's what 'combination' means in your system... but it's not a term I'm familiar with in the KMAs.

OP
I

Inugami

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't know the term but by combinations i mean like for example:

3rd Stripe for blue belt is:

Back leg round kick, tornado round kick, reverse hook kick, back ridge hand.

Are they part of Jhoon Rhee's Martial Ballet or seperate from that? ? If seperate do all schools teach these "combinations" the same way?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Master Rhee's combination was of his own doing, he believed in keeping certain combo in a sequence for better flow of attack. I would say all school have combination of technique and they will vary from school to school just because certain Master believe this is best for them. Each individual needs to string alone different techniques in order to be productive so it will always be what is best for each person.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Master Rhee's combination was of his own doing, he believed in keeping certain combo in a sequence for better flow of attack. I would say all school have combination of technique and they will vary from school to school just because certain Master believe this is best for them. Each individual needs to string alone different techniques in order to be productive so it will always be what is best for each person.

I agree with Terry. I create combinations for my students to help them understand how techniques can be used together, but I also encourage them to find those combinations that work best for them. It's one of the reasons I don't create "stock" combinations for step sparring - each student creates his/her own sets based on the rules for step sparring, using the most appropriate techniques of those they know for the set they're doing at the time.

WMKS Shogun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Okay, I might be able to shed a little light on this. My lineage goes back into the old Jhoon Rhee system. As a decendant of said system, my instructor's instructor (who trained under Jhoon Rhee back in the late 60's/early to mid 70's) had a special fondness for combinations and each belt level has several. Many are probably similar to what Jhoon Rhee taught each of his students (eg. blue belt #4 for our system is back leg roundhouse kick, jump tornado, spin hook kick, reverse punch; a minor change from your #3). I think that Jhoon Rhee's schools all teach the same combinations. The martial ballet, as I understand it, is more the particular forms taught to music and the forms that GM Rhee made up himself (kamsah hyung or might for right, for example) but it is not the name of Jhoon Rhee's system itself. Though I could be wrong.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There are a number of combinations listed in all GM Rhee's excellent forms books as well.

As per GM Rhee:

"The practice of combination techniques naturally follows the learning of basics. Although the objective of TKD is to overcome an opponent withjindividual techniques as learned in one-step sparring, it is important that the student prepare himself for any situation. Practice of combination techniques is the second stepping stone to free sparring"
from Tan-Gun and To-San of Tae Kwon Do Hyung, p.123

Latest Discussions