How Many Different TKD Form Sets Are There?

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just for fun, I want to have my students learn a form from another TKD system. I'm aware of the Chang Hon, Palgwe, Tae Guk, Songahm, Pyong An, Jhoon Rhee martial ballet, and Unified TKD series. Any others?

OP
S

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've listed the Songahm above, but thanks anyway, IcemanSK.

Another one for the list: GTF (Global TKD Federation) has a couple of forms they do in addition to the Chang Hon set.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are some variations in the Ch'ang H'on set - Ko-Dang was replace by Juche about 15 years ago, and there are some exercises (Saju Jirugi, Saju Maki, Saju Tolgi) that are taught alongside the tuls that are informally considered part of the tul set.

Out of curiosity - do you know any of these form sets? If not, how do you intend to learn them so you can teach them?

OP
S

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Kacey,

I don't plan to teach the form. It will be one that the class learns together, me included! The exercise is supposed to 1) illustrate that we are all still learning, even the instructor and 2) allow my students (who are mostly beginners) to see how a kata/hyung can be broken apart to explore bunkai/bunseoh or applications. Since the form will not be one I know already, I'd have to use principles to extract the applications rather than rely on information I received from an instructor.

I'm somewhat of a kata/set collector and I'd had instruction in a variety of systems, Chinese and Okinawan systems included. I'm picking TKD forms for this exercise because 1) that's what my students are learning and 2) TKD forms tend to be simpler (no offense intended by the way - TKD was my first love).

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've listed the Songahm above, but thanks anyway, IcemanSK.

Another one for the list: GTF (Global TKD Federation) has a couple of forms they do in addition to the Chang Hon set.

I'm sorry, Stoneheart, you did. My appologies.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've found this link if anyone is interested, it's a list of form sets with videos of most of the forms. I've noticed a few differences in how the forms in Chang Hon are done compared to how we do them, but they are ok for a revision list.

http://www.natkd.com/tkd_forms.htm

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kacey,

I don't plan to teach the form. It will be one that the class learns together, me included! The exercise is supposed to 1) illustrate that we are all still learning, even the instructor and 2) allow my students (who are mostly beginners) to see how a kata/hyung can be broken apart to explore bunkai/bunseoh or applications. Since the form will not be one I know already, I'd have to use principles to extract the applications rather than rely on information I received from an instructor.

Sounds interesting. Here's a link to the Ch'ang H'an tuls in a step-by-step format. I'll be interested in hearing how it goes.