Jhoon Rhee Tae Kwon Do

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Can you provide an internet link to any story about Jhoon Rhee being mugged?

Perhaps the difference was in the "Jumpers" and not the "Jumpee".

Internet link? Seriously?
Man that happened back int he 80s and Im not doin no micro-fishing just to prove a point on here.
Next time you in DC you just ask one of the old heads about the stories.

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Man that happened back int he 80s and Im not doin no micro-fishing just to prove a point on here.
The old heads. You mean, the toilets in the bus station? Tell me, do they speak English where you are? Because here that is the language preferred. Not ebonics, not ghetto, not jive, and not trailer.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

Back in the 80s? Gee, ancient history I guess. I know lots of stories. A bunch start with "once upon a time."

TKD has plenty of "Stories". Like Jhoon Rhee not developing good fighters. Here's one - Jeff Smith " http://www.ikfkickboxing.com/JeffSmith.htm. Of course that was back in the 1970's.- 1980s

If you tell us a story to "Prove a point" perhasp you should let us know that is what it is. Some stories are true, some not, some we will never know.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Can you provide an internet link to any story about Jhoon Rhee being mugged?

Perhaps the difference was in the "Jumpers" and not the "Jumpee".

I remember hearing about this when I was a kid.. . Although I didn't grow up around the D.C. area.. . However, all I could come up with were conversations about it. Maybe it truly is an urban legend?

"People may not remember, but Jhoon Rhee (inventor of much of the gear and pads used today) was mugged outside his Washington apartment years ago. He was carrying groceries, and had both hands full when somebody just walked up and clubbed the crap out of him...

As you say... it can happen to anyone..." http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=15879641&site_id=1#import

"So, those of us who grew up in the DC area in the 1970s and 80s remember Jhoon Rhee Self Defense. Jhoon, a Korean immigrant, became a huge business powerhouse in this area. His self defense courses were legendary around here, and I went to school with his kids, Chun and Meme. For reasons I cannot possibly explain, I have ended up in an argument between Chun and a few other people from my school about whether his father was mugged in the 1980s (possibly 90s). So I did some research, but came up with nothing conclusive except a bunch of people saying in various comment boards he was mugged, but no links, news stories, or anything conclusive. In fact, I really want to chalk this up as an urban legend because the story about "grand master of martial arts gets mugged" seems like those kinds of tales. Chun, of course, denies his father was mugged, and points out he had heard tales that he himself was shot, or died eating pop rocks and soda, over the years. Chun now runs the Rhee studio (although his dad is in his 80s and in great shape), so the argument some of my former classmates have used is, "well, of course you say that; it would ruin your reputation."

Has anyone ever heard of this happening to Jhoon, and have some kind of news story that may point one way or another?

I know those of you who know the guy I am talking about are now singing, in their head, "Call USA One Thousand..." and "Nobddy boddas me..." Those were his kids in that commercial, BTW, and E Street Band's own Nils Lofgren apparently sung that theme song when he was a struggling artist out here." http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1146562

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

In case you were wondering, you're a tool.

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Back in the 80s? Gee, ancient history I guess. I know lots of stories. A bunch start with "once upon a time."

TKD has plenty of "Stories". Like Jhoon Rhee not developing good fighters. Here's one - Jeff Smith " http://www.ikfkickboxing.com/JeffSmith.htm. Of course that was back in the 1970's.- 1980s

If you tell us a story to "Prove a point" perhasp you should let us know that is what it is. Some stories are true, some not, some we will never know.

Yeah.....good fighters that couldnt hang with Ki Whang Kim's students. :shrug:
Ive heard of Jeff Smith and Albert Cheeks had beatin him several time (http://www.lacancha.com/albertcheeks.html).

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah.....good fighters that couldnt hang with Ki Whang Kim's students. :shrug:
Ive heard of Jeff Smith and Albert Cheeks had beatin him several time (http://www.lacancha.com/albertcheeks.html).

You're going way over the top with this. Reading over Mr. Cheeks biography, he indeed is a great American TKD pioneer. Not sure why you think putting down Jhoon Rhee and his students increases the luster of Mr. Cheeks or Mr. Kim in any way.

As an aside, this tournament result states that Jeff Smith did beat Mr. Cheeks at least on one occasion, albeit on a 2-1 retirement. http://<a href=&quot;[url]http://bo...&q=albert[/url] cheeks jeff smith&f=false</a>http://books.google.com/books?id=N9...#v=onepage&q=albert cheeks jeff smith&f=false

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Folks,
Let's remember to state our views with courtesy and not take shots at each other. We don't have to like every style or every school -- or even each other-- but we don't have to be rude or insulting when we express our dislike.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're going way over the top with this. Reading over Mr. Cheeks biography, he indeed is a great American TKD pioneer. Not sure why you think putting down Jhoon Rhee and his students increases the luster of Mr. Cheeks or Mr. Kim in any way.

As an aside, this tournament result states that Jeff Smith did beat Mr. Cheeks at least on one occasion, albeit on a 2-1 retirement. http://books.google.com/books?id=N9...#v=onepage&q=albert cheeks jeff smith&f=false

Taking nothing away from GM Cheeks, (Dancing alone did better than I with the search results) I couldn't find anything about him beating Jeff Smith (Or anyone specific although he is a noted Chamion.) Anyone have a link suporting Kinghercules claim as to beating Jeff Smith or other noteables?

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score

As an aside, this tournament result states that Jeff Smith did beat Mr. Cheeks at least on one occasion, albeit on a 2-1 retirement. http://books.google.com/books?id=N9cDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA55&lpg=PA55&dq=albert+cheeks+jeff+smith&source=bl&ots=7WLX8-0Ehv&sig=_vaQzdJg7XOxOY13KFYO8-2bNFA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=kXf8ToCSC-i42wXyxrn7Ag&ved=0CDoQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=albert cheeks jeff smith&f=false

Yeah you're right.
But all I said was that I've never met any good students of Jhoon Rhee and that back in the day he got beat up in the street and thats why here in DC his schools had closed.

Yeah you're right about GM Cheeks loosin to Jeff Smith in that match and I believe it was because Cheeks was injured in a fight previous.
Jeff Smith has a illmatic record. It would be silly of me to say he wasnt a good fighter.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
GM Jhoon Rhee explained it differently to Glenn (puunui) and myself, in a personal face to face conversation. He said that he was teaching pyongahn related hyungs in the USA, I believe at a Texas A&M ROTC Karate Club and that Gen. Choi sent him the Korean Army Field manual, which contained some of the Chang-hon hyungs. In a letter, Gen. Choi asked GM Rhee to start using the word Taekwondo instead of Karate, and to start teaching the hyungs found in the army field manual instead of the pyongahn related hyungs. GM Rhee said no one ever taught him those Chang-hon hyung either, he just learned them directly from the Korean Army Field Manual.

I remember that. It was when GM Rhee was attending USTU events semi regularly. So we got to know him. The conversation was pretty short, we were walking someplace, we asked him a couple of quick questions and all this information came out of GM Rhee's mouth. People who were with us were stunned, literally with their mouths open, by the relaxed frankness in which GM Rhee spoke to us. It proved that the seniors do not wish to hide the true history of their art and their experiences, but rather are very open about it, IF you approach them in the correct and proper fashion.

Also, the unified Taekwondo of the KTA was not something created by the Korean Government, it was created by Taekwondo masters, including Gen. Choi, and including GM HYUN Jong Myun, the second Kwanjang of the Oh Do Kwan and ITF technical committee member. GM Hyun was appointed to the 1967 KTA Poomsae Committee that created the Plagwe, Dan and later Taegeuk Poomsae. Gen. Choi became persona non grata AFTER the unification of Taekwondo techniques. So the Oh Do Kwan, and the ITF helped created the current Kukkiwon Poomsae, and the technical system of the early KTA, which basically remains unchanged today, except for the addition of shihap kyorugi (Olympic sparring)

People tend to ignore these facts, but the truth of the matter is that the Ohdokwan did fully participate in the unification process. GM Hyun a key person in taekwondo's history because he a) was the first instructor for GM HWANG Kee's railroad martial art club in the 1940's, which is how he learned the Chung Do Kwan hyung; b) was present at the December 19, 1954 meeting where the name Taekwon was created; and c) was the second Oh Do Kwan Jang, after GM NAM Tae Hi; and d) was a member of the KTA committee that created the Palgwae, Yudanja and Taeguek poomsae.

Oh, GM Rhee also said he never left Gen. Choi because he was never with him :)

:)

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know the reason for sure (heard a few rumors, but don't know exactly), but many of the Korean Masters in my neck of the woods (including Ki Whang Kim) did not think highly of Jhoon Rhee.

Among the USTU seniors, GM Rhee was looked upon as not being a team player.

I have only met Rhee a couple of times, none of which I could discern any martial ability, as he did not demonstrate any martial arts. He did however do his 100 push ups in one minute, which was impressive for anyone, let alone someone of his age.

There is a movie "When Taekwondo Strikes" which stars GM Rhee. He looks pretty good in that.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I say run to the next dojo. LOL! Ive never met anyone from a Jhoon Rhee school that could fight or had good techniques. :ultracool Seriously.
Jhoon Rhee use to have schools here in the Washington DC area and they had closed because he use to get his azz beat in the streets.
How you gonna be a master teaching ppl how to defend themselves and you cant defend yourself? LOL!! Come on!
:lol:
So tell me are you jumping on all these styles that are not Ki Whang Kim because you have watched too many Samurai Sunday flicks and feel the need to challenge any one's style that is not your own? Or are you just basically being ignorant on purpose to get a rise out of people?

Secondly, perhaps you could cite all of these incidents of GM Rhee getting his "azz" beat in the streets. Also, how many of his student have you fought to come to the conclusion that you have never met one that can fight?

Plus, honestly, saying you are from the hood merits you no extra bonus points on here nor does it automatically make you a bad *** in our eyes. We basically do not care. We are looking for intelligent conversation on TKD or other martial arts. We have plenty of people who are hood rats on here. They are great people with open minds and not ready to 'dis a homey because he be trippin' takin' dat whack art and not the bad azz art I take. Word.

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So tell me are you jumping on all these styles that are not Ki Whang Kim because you have watched too many Samurai Sunday flicks and feel the need to challenge any one's style that is not your own? Or are you just basically being ignorant on purpose to get a rise out of people?
Basically.

Plus, honestly, saying you are from the hood merits you no extra bonus points on here nor does it automatically make you a bad *** in our eyes.
Not yet, but....give it a min.

We have plenty of people who are hood rats on here.
Not really.
Dats why Im here.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Basically.
Got it..nuff said.

~Ding!~ Time's up....nope...still don't care, and no bonus points added.

Not really.
Dats why Im here.
Actually, really. However, we don't feel the need to tell everyone about it when it merits no additional impact on the statements we are trying to make.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the main issue for these boards or even more caustic ones is and should be that while on does not have to be a fan of a style or instructor, if you're bad mouth something you should be able to back it up with specifics, or just be very clear that your opinion is only that and may very well be based on limited observation. I am not and have never claimed to be a proponent of Jhoon Rhee although I think he has made some valuable contributions by development of safety gear and spreading the art to government officials, but if someone bad mouths him or anyone else I will ask for specifics.

Providing or failing to provide specifics will allow board readers to view the story inthe appropriate light.

Most instructors train various levels of people. Some mere hobbyists who may train a couple of hours a week, and some who may train several hours a day. Few instructos would want to be judged by their worst student on their best day, or their best student on their worst day.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep the conversation polite and respectful.

Jim Sheeran
jks9199
Asst. Administrator

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Basically.

Not really.
Dats why Im here.

So, in a nutshell, the main reasons why you're here are to:

1) Bash any art thats not like the Ultimate one that you do.
2) Troll the forum.

I suggest that you take the time to review the forum rules that YOU agreed to upon joining the forum. If you honestly want to stick around for a while vs. getting the boot, maybe you'll want to start making some productive posts!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think the main issue for these boards or even more caustic ones is and should be that while on does not have to be a fan of a style or instructor, if you're bad mouth something you should be able to back it up with specifics, or just be very clear that your opinion is only that and may very well be based on limited observation.

This. Without specifics, it's worthless trolling at best and slander/libel at worst.

Sent using Tapatalk. Please ignore typos.

Latest Discussions