ITF TKD Sparring

ladolcevita

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I've just started sparring in class (white belt, ITF TKD) and the instructor essentially just makes us spar with each other regardless of level (I've sparred up to black belts). It's great and all but I don't actually know what I'm doing. We're normally told to tap their torso area - foot or hand, and I wondered if there were any online videos or tutorials that teach you good tactics or just how to get in there! I'm a bit lost. I'd feel very sloppy just running in and going for them.

I spend most of my time at a distance, summing them up and not enough getting closer- but at the same time I don't really know what I should do. I go in to kick but I'm not fast enough yet and some of the higher belts tend to just barge me.

Any sparring advice appreciated for a newbie, thanks!

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I've just started sparring in class (white belt, ITF TKD) and the instructor essentially just makes us spar with each other regardless of level (I've sparred up to black belts). It's great and all but I don't actually know what I'm doing. We're normally told to tap their torso area - foot or hand, and I wondered if there were any online videos or tutorials that teach you good tactics or just how to get in there! I'm a bit lost. I'd feel very sloppy just running in and going for them.

I spend most of my time at a distance, summing them up and not enough getting closer- but at the same time I don't really know what I should do. I go in to kick but I'm not fast enough yet and some of the higher belts tend to just barge me.

I'm guessing you are also getting instruction in tkd?

you are basically playing tag, watch what the more experienced do and then let the natural process of your anticipation ,reactions and techneque development take place, as it most certainly will

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm a bit lost. I'd feel very sloppy just running in and going for them.
You're an inexperienced white belt, right? As such, you are sloppy and lost. That's part of being an inexperienced learner of a new skill.

Ask for and listen to the advice of your instructor and more experienced sparring partners. Spar and make mistakes. Spar some more. The more you do it, the more experience you get, the fewer mistakes you'll make.

Look, everyone sucks when they start trying to practice a new skill. Don't feel embarrassed. The people you're working with sucked when they started too. To other people who are ahead of them in skill, those same, more experienced than you, people still suck.

Don't worry, just do it. If you do something wrong, you'll get corrected, either with a smack or a gentle(ish) verbal correction. In either case, it won't kill you.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just some suggestions. Focus on (try) one technique of your choice, or the technique you learned that day... rather than 'no plan and trying to do everything'.

Then if you fail, that is normal. It means the training is working for the ones who are training longer. If you learn 1 thing every training or sparring session, in a few years you will be the one kicking 'white belts'. :)

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Glad you are training...my advice...NEVER, EVER PLAY FOOT OR HAND TAG EVER! Sparring will teach some distancing and timing, which are important. If you want tap people, and bounce around, then go ahead. If you want real fighting / protection skills...DO NOT SPAR.
The totally artificial environment will do nothing but set you up for failure in a real confrontation!

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Glad you are training...my advice...NEVER, EVER PLAY FOOT OR HAND TAG EVER! Sparring will teach some distancing and timing, which are important. If you want tap people, and bounce around, then go ahead. If you want real fighting / protection skills...DO NOT SPAR.
The totally artificial environment will do nothing but set you up for failure in a real confrontation!

So what would you suggest to do instead of sparring to prepare for a "real confrontation"?

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So what would you suggest to do instead of sparring to prepare for a "real confrontation"?
Simulate a real confrontation. Mind you, I never saw where the OP said he was training for a real confrontation or wanted protection skills, he said he was sparring and wanted advice for sparring.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm only guessing, but my guess is that he will say get in a ring and get beaten up frequently

Probably, but why stop there? Everyone knows the best way to prepare for a "real confrontation" is to go to your local bar, find the biggest guy in the place and smash a bottle over his head then see what happens.....

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Probably, but why stop there? Everyone knows the best way to prepare for a "real confrontation" is to go to your local bar, find the biggest guy in the place and smash a bottle over his head then see what happens.....
I tried that once but he was too tall for me to reach ;)

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe that's what he wants?

Not everyone takes up martial arts for the same reason, never mind what your interpretation of "self defense" is.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well if that's what his club does he doesn't have much choice if he wants to train there. If he's happy with it it's none of your business frankly and you shouldn't be telling him what to do

Finlay

Green Belt
Reaction score
To drag this back to sparring.....

Try to apply some of the kicks that punches that you have done on the pads.

Try basic combinations, punch, punch, kick

Alternatively, kick, punch, punch

Vary the kicks.

Also, like what was said before try new techniques that you like that you think would work.

In short

Try, try, try

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
As someone who is also relatively new to the Martial Arts and is constantly put against more experience opponents, I would say it's all about your mentality. You are going to get hit a lot in the beginning, but that shouldn't stop you from trying. Also, tap sparring isn't about winning or losing, it's about experimenting in a safe free-style environment. Use this opportunity to try out different things. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. If they don't work and you get hit, who cares? Just try something else.

Above all though, always remember:

fd3d970c53aa6ae1dfdda0c2aa7c344c883bf5455bf924fdb6e3d8b1f4983385.jpg

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I tried that once but he was too tall for me to reach ;)

From what I've seen you post here, you seem like a smart guy. I would've bet you could figure out how to stand on a bar stool or the bar itself and smack him with the bottle.

Edit: I saw a guy jump up on the bar once and try to kick a guy in the head. It didn't exactly work out the way I'm guessing he envisioned it.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
From what I've seen you post here, you seem like a smart guy. I would've bet you could figure out how to stand on a bar stool or the bar itself and smack him with the bottle.

Edit: I saw a guy jump up on the bar once and try to kick a guy in the head. It didn't exactly work out the way I'm guessing he envisioned it.
The trick is not too reach his head, the trick is to bring his head down to my height ;-)

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get feedback immediately (or as soon as you can) from every single person with whom you spar, asking for advice, corrections, tips, tactics, whatever they want to offer and which is on their mind right after you are done.

You really don't have just one instructor... you are in a room full of them. Take advantage of it. You can learn from anyone.

Latest Discussions