Issues with new assistant instructor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Context is everything but this is a place where we have people from a lot of countries and I have asked that this issue be addressed several times now over the years yet it's still being allowed.

And so we all should adopt the English interpretation?

And we will just ignore that this was forced on 3/4 of the world there at one point.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And so we all should adopt the English interpretation?

And we will just ignore that this was forced on 3/4 of the world there at one point.

We know you like to be rude to people and belittle their martial arts but common decency and good manners are acceptable all around the world. Setting out to deliberately wind up people as you do may amuse you but most of us don't find being disabled a laughing matter. It seems to be fine when you want to impose your martial arts 'standards' on everyone else but heaven forbid that someone disagrees with you or calls you out on your hypocrisy in martial arts and other things you start getting stroppy and demanding. Perhaps it's time you grew up and stopped the 'verbal sparring', at least until you can be any good at it.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, it was an odd way to have fun and wouldn't fly today. Nor should it.
Buka, I wish people were mature enough and thick skinned enough to use it in the manners you mentioned. It would be a much easier world to live in if we could joke, laugh at ourselves, and have fun with each other the ways we used to.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Buka, I wish people were mature enough and thick skinned enough to use it in the manners you mentioned. It would be a much easier world to live in if we could joke, laugh at ourselves, and have fun with each other the ways we used to.

I wish they were, too. But, again, we were teenagers in another time back then. Times now are completely different. That being said, political correctness has rather an ugly head. Personally, I hope I'm alive long enough to see the backlash against political correctness. I think it's going to be a doozey.

It's kind of nice out here, people have a sense of humor and the area doesn't seem to have any political correctness at all. But people are far more chill. Which is nice.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I hope I'm alive long enough to see the backlash against political correctness.

So called 'political correctness' is just what people used to call politeness and courtesy.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So called 'political correctness' is just what people used to call politeness and courtesy.
I’ve posted this before, but it seems fitting to post it again. Set in a college athletic training room. An example of political correctness gone wrong:

Me to athlete who just walked in: Did you see Jose out in the hallway?

Athlete: Who’s Jose?

Me: The Puerto Rican guy on the basketball team.

Athlete: That’s racist.

Me: How so?

Athlete: You called him Puerto Rican.

Me: He’s from Puerto Rico.

Athlete: It’s still racist to call him that.

Jose walks in.

Me (amazed by stupidity): Jose, is it racist to call you Puerto Rican?

Jose (dumbfounded): What are you talking about?

Me: He says it’s racist.

Jose (to athlete, laughing and dumbfounded): What the F is wrong with you?

I could see if he was from somewhere other than Puerto Rico and I knew it or didn’t know where he was from. I could also see if no one knew where he was from. Everyone knew. He wore Puerto Rican national basketball team stuff all the time. He was in their Olympic hopeful pool organization.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve posted this before, but it seems fitting to post it again. Set in a college athletic training room. An example of political correctness gone wrong:

Jose walks in.

I could see if he was from somewhere other than Puerto Rico and I knew it or didn’t know where he was from. I could also see if no one knew where he was from. Everyone knew. He wore Puerto Rican national basketball team stuff all the time. He was in their Olympic hopeful pool organization.

That's not political correctness though, that's just dumb, anyone who is promoting that as being PC is very wrong. PC is not telling a woman you work with that she has 'great tits' or is 'clever for a woman', it's not using the 'N' word, it's not telling a stranger they should lose weight, it's not telling anti Semitic jokes or bullying someone and then saying 'can't you take a joke'.
Here's why political correctness is actually a good thing | Metro News

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree and think I have a similar perspective. However I do think much of today's agenda is to subtly modify the very definition of some words to fit a more modern narrative.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Jose walks in.

That's not political correctness though, that's just dumb, anyone who is promoting that as being PC is very wrong. PC is not telling a woman you work with that she has 'great tits' or is 'clever for a woman', it's not using the 'N' word, it's not telling a stranger they should lose weight, it's not telling anti Semitic jokes or bullying someone and then saying 'can't you take a joke'.

I feel you are missing the point.
What you said and what JR said have zero to do with each other IMHO.
As you said in an earlier post, this is a worldwide forum so perspectives are different. I feel the examples you gave are correct without saying. @JR137 was just giving an example of using an accurate adjective description to identify a person.

To use a broader example. Lets say there are six people in a room. One is a black person (who is a mechanic) who you know. Now, lets say you are standing away some distance and someone you do not know comes up to you asking which person is the mechanic (just chose a random trade). What is the quickest, easiest, non-offensive way to point the person out? Is it wrong to say 'go see the black guy'?
That just seems so efficient, quick, and easy that it does not merit this short writing.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A big part of PC is not calling certain groups and/or individuals certain things. And for good reason, mostly. But people get carried away, just like that guy did.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel you are missing the point.
What you said and what JR said have zero to do with each other IMHO.
As you said in an earlier post, this is a worldwide forum so perspectives are different. I feel the examples you gave are correct without saying. @JR137 was just giving an example of using an accurate adjective description to identify a person.

I wasn't missing the point. Please re-read what JR said about the athlete saying it was racist to call him that ie not PC, that was the point of his post, what is and what isn't PC. He says it himself.

To use a broader example. Lets say there are six people in a room. One is a black person (who is a mechanic) who you know. Now, lets say you are standing away some distance and someone you do not know comes up to you asking which person is the mechanic (just chose a random trade). What is the quickest, easiest, non-offensive way to point the person out? Is it wrong to say 'go see the black guy'?
That just seems so efficient, quick, and easy that it does not merit this short writing.

I expect that's what you'd do but being brought up the way I was I would have taken the enquirer across and introduced them to the engineer. If I really had to point him out I would have said the one in the blue jacket/pink shirt/ etc, it would not occur to me to point someone out by any physical part of their person let alone his skin colour. Nothing to do with being PC, as I was born and raised long before this so called PC.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't missing the point. Please re-read what JR said about the athlete saying it was racist to call him that ie not PC, that was the point of his post, what is and what isn't PC. He says it himself.

I expect that's what you'd do but being brought up the way I was I would have taken the enquirer across and introduced them to the engineer. If I really had to point him out I would have said the one in the blue jacket/pink shirt/ etc, it would not occur to me to point someone out by any physical part of their person let alone his skin colour. Nothing to do with being PC, as I was born and raised long before this so called PC.
I see no issue with physical description. Tall, black, redhead, whatever. If the shirt color is an easy differentiator, that works just as well as hair color.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see no issue with physical description. Tall, black, redhead, whatever. If the shirt color is an easy differentiator, that works just as well as hair color.

As I did say that's how I was brought up, that it would be rude to describe someone by their physical features, I didn't say anything about whether that was right, wrong or indifferent just what I'd do.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As I did say that's how I was brought up, that it would be rude to describe someone by their physical features, I didn't say anything about whether that was right, wrong or indifferent just what I'd do.
I did have to reread my post. I meant to say everyone was wearing the same color shirt but obviously did not.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did have to reread my post. I meant to say everyone was wearing the same color shirt but obviously did not.

I did actually say read the other one lol, it was about being PC or not PC, it wasn't merely about how you point someone out. JR actually pointed out that the guy who thought he was being PC was going too far.

Even wearing all the same colour shirt is not a problem, when I was in the RAF and we were all in uniform we could still differentiate each other without having to use body parts and as I said the polite thing would have been to go and introduce the enquirer to the engineer, why not, talking is so much better than just pointing anyway. You could have started off a nice romance or bromance between them :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We know you like to be rude to people and belittle their martial arts but common decency and good manners are acceptable all around the world. Setting out to deliberately wind up people as you do may amuse you but most of us don't find being disabled a laughing matter. It seems to be fine when you want to impose your martial arts 'standards' on everyone else but heaven forbid that someone disagrees with you or calls you out on your hypocrisy in martial arts and other things you start getting stroppy and demanding. Perhaps it's time you grew up and stopped the 'verbal sparring', at least until you can be any good at it.

And by grow up you mean the English definition. Because that is the standard of common decency and good manners world wide?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And by grow up you mean the English definition. Because that is the standard of common decency and good manners world wide?

Actually no, my mother was Dutch and I was brought up in the Sephardi Jewish tradition. So that puts paid to your snide remark doesn't it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and just to add I was born in England but went to live in Scotland from the age of eight, my father being Scottish and no lover of the English. I had many what would be called 'non PC' comments aimed at me, I prefer to tell the truth, they were slurs and insults, they were especially frequent at Easter as I was according to some a 'Jesus killer'. I know very well the difference between commenting on someone just to be able to point someone out and the remarks that are horrible to be on the end of which I still do receive.

I didn't think Aussies still had a chip on their shoulders about their beginnings, it seems some have. the world has moved on enormously, they should to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions