Issues with new assistant instructor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prostar

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am surprised that the instructor missed the guy and his cheap shots. Nothing ever happened on my floor without me being aware of it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Something to think about...

Based on your post, you seem to encounter this a lot. OK -- I've run into many times in 30+ years of training, too. Or the guy who just can't control himself, doesn't know his own strength, etc.

But... you seem to bump into these guys a lot. Maybe it's not them...Maybe something that you're doing is bringing out the behavior. I'm not making an accusation -- but I am suggesting that there's one constant in these encounters across multiple schools, and that's you. You could be sending an unintended signal, you might just attract these guys... I don't know. But you ought to take a bit and look in the mirror, too. People have talked about payback in various posts -- but maybe his perception is that he's doing the payback with you... and if that's the case -- why?

We have a guy that has this issue of every one going to hard but he is a gigantic spaz and makes it hard to go easy on him as well.

I have been doing stand up wrestling with the guy to get him ready for a comp and it is hard. He can't train with competitive guys because he freaks out gets mauled and risks injury.

He can't train with easier people because he gets scared and tries to hundred percent technique which is infuriating considering I am giving him the the opportunitys.

And he knows because we have sat him down and spoken to him about it.

So I have been playing around with all sorts of different paces and levels of resistance to try and find this happy medium.

For me it is just an interesting dynamic that hopefully I can crack. As I would like to see him develop. But he will struggle to the way he is going.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As far as drilling or sparring after the bell. I always tactically disengage at the end of the round just in case the other person is all caught up.

If it is rolling or wrestling I tap at the end of the round.

Otherwise I will tap very early and very hard on a sub with a guy who i am concerned will go overboard and hurt me. So there is no doubt i am tapping. I also don't care if he is terrible and shouldn't be tapping me out. I will still tap. If he wants to parade around after. I don't really care.

Otherwise if I am exposing myself to a real injury. I will warn the guy before hand. And if i am exposing him to injury I will disengage.

Which can be the other issue. Say I have an arm bar and they decide to randomly throw themselves in random directions.

If all of this gets to much for me then I just start wrist locking them. Or use a bit of chin of authority.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but he is a gigantic spaz

He's disabled? 'spaz' is short for spastic a derogatory term for disabled people. Might be acceptable to you but hugely insulting all the same.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For me it is just an interesting dynamic that hopefully I can crack. As I would like to see him develop. But he will struggle to the way he is going.

This is a curious variable which is reoccurring in most school/systems that stay around for any length of time.
At first blush, you could look at the training method(s) used and see if they provide the material/methods to help people like the one you describe get up to speed.

Frankly, with the high level of candor you put out about drills/techniques/methods that 'do not work', I am shocked you haven't already kicked this guy to curb and forgot about him. This seems to be your SOP with most things.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am surprised that the instructor missed the guy and his cheap shots. Nothing ever happened on my floor without me being aware of it.

By definition, if you missed the cheap shot, you're unaware of it. The claim that you've achieved perfection in this area seems unlikely.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
He's disabled? 'spaz' is short for spastic a derogatory term for disabled people. Might be acceptable to you but hugely insulting all the same.
Spaz has a very different implication in the UK then elsewhere. While there it's considered an insult, outside it's meant much more as "clumsy", and not something disabled individuals take offence to.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the region where I grew up the word "spazz" was slang, it was colloquial. It wasn't used nor perceived as an insult and would never be used to, or about, a person with disabilities.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is a curious variable which is reoccurring in most school/systems that stay around for any length of time.
At first blush, you could look at the training method(s) used and see if they provide the material/methods to help people like the one you describe get up to speed.

Frankly, with the high level of candor you put out about drills/techniques/methods that 'do not work', I am shocked you haven't already kicked this guy to curb and forgot about him. This seems to be your SOP with most things.

No. I am more about giving people the best development they can by providing the best honesty I can.

So instructors lying to students to steal their money gets on my nerves. Not people with personal training challenges.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
@Martial D
SPAZ | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary

spaz
noun [ C ]
informal offensive

uk

/spæz/ us

/spæz/

an offensive way of saying "a stupid person"
(short for "spastic") an offensive way of referring to someone who has cerebral palsy (= a condition of the body that makes it difficult to control the muscles)

That is pretty accurate description of the guy I am describing.

Just without the cerebral palsy part.

By the way Australians are offensive and expecting me not to be is culturally insensitive.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is pretty accurate description of the guy I am describing.

Just without the cerebral palsy part.

By the way Australians are offensive and expecting me not to be is culturally insensitive.

Australians aren't offensive, the other Australians we have on here manage perfectly well not to be ignorant, it's just you.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the region where I grew up the word "spazz" was slang, it was colloquial. It wasn't used nor perceived as an insult and would never be used to, or about, a person with disabilities.

It is here and would earn you a straightener if used.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Spaz has a very different implication in the UK then elsewhere. While there it's considered an insult, outside it's meant much more as "clumsy", and not something disabled individuals take offence to.

I grew up in the mid-west. It was a little less strong perhaps, mostly I think because there weren't so many handicapped people in public to be offended.

I think I have heard you mention being from MA, so I don't think it was so colloquial after all. But like a lot of insults, where I grew up, it could be more or less insulting depending on the relationship of the person doing the insulting and the person being insulted, and the situation. It could result in anger or mirth on the part of the person being insulted, as well as others around. Even so, it wasn't used all that often.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It is here and would earn you a straightener if used.

Which is why I used the words "In the region where I grew up" and "colloquial".

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is why I used the words "In the region where I grew up" and "colloquial".

It doesn't matter though does it because the phrase was used on here, a site used by different nationalities which it supposed to be moderated to stop words and phrases being used that are insulting. We've had people kicking off on here because a non American called an American 'boy', something that means nothing outside the US, someone also complained roundly at the use of the words 'being lynched' a phrase again used outside the Us without any connotations but with many in the US. It doesn't matter whether the word used colloquially where you are the word still means 'spastic' and is used unkindly at best, derogatory at worst to insult someone by comparing them to a disabled person.
Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill.

Gautama Buddha

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think I have heard you mention being from MA, so I don't think it was so colloquial after all. But like a lot of insults, where I grew up, it could be more or less insulting depending on the relationship of the person doing the insulting and the person being insulted, and the situation. It could result in anger or mirth on the part of the person being insulted, as well as others around. Even so, it wasn't used all that often.

We, and all surrounding neighborhoods, used it lavishly every single day. It was a verbal sport, especially insults about one's mother. If one couldn't wield humorous mother insults at will it was better to stay home.

We were teenagers, I don't recall anyone ever being offended. Of course, this was never said to strangers. Nor should it have been. But a good "your mama is so fat her shadow once killed a dog" was considered a "nice one".

Yes, it was an odd way to have fun and wouldn't fly today. Nor should it.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@Martial D
SPAZ | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary

spaz
noun [ C ]
informal offensive

uk

/spæz/ us

/spæz/

an offensive way of saying "a stupid person"
(short for "spastic") an offensive way of referring to someone who has cerebral palsy (= a condition of the body that makes it difficult to control the muscles)

Yeah Tez, you're right about the origin of the term, but here in the States it's a term that is is not (at the moment) used in a derogatory way. I hear BJJ guys use the term a lot, as in "spazzing out" to describe noobies who panick and flail about wildly rather than using technique.

So many examples of words being used differently come to mind. The indigenous populations of Canada perceive the term "Indian" to be both erroneous and a slur, and instead use the term "First Nations Peoples". Here in the States, the indigenous tribes still use the term, and embrace their "Indian Identity" as Native Americans. Here in the American Southwest, if you addressed an Indian as a "First Nations Person" I suspect he or she might be perplexed to say the least.

With language, context is everything.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah Tez, you're right about the origin of the term, but here in the States it's a term that is is not (at the moment) used in a derogatory way. I hear BJJ guys use the term a lot, as in "spazzing out" to describe noobies who panick and flail about wildly rather than using technique.

So many examples of words being used differently come to mind. The indigenous populations of Canada perceive the term "Indian" to be both erroneous and a slur, and instead use the term "First Nations Peoples". Here in the States, the indigenous tribes still use the term, and embrace their "Indian Identity" as Native Americans. Here in the American Southwest, if you addressed an Indian as a "First Nations Person" I suspect he or she might be perplexed to say the least.

With language, context is everything.

Context is everything but this is a place where we have people from a lot of countries and I have asked that this issue be addressed several times now over the years yet it's still being allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions