Jiu jitsu club

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in no danger at all honestly I think it was a bad submission attempt more than my arm being bendy if I'm honest. Normally I'd feel something even if it's not tap worth but this one just felt like he was holding my arm so I think it was more poor technique
It might be that at that school they really do tap out for higher ranks. A similar thing happens sometimes in TMA, and it leads to a false sense of ability. That sounds like what happened to him. If he'd had people make him actually get the lock (which should be clear well before there's a chance of damage on most folks), he'd know what it feels like when it's not yet locked.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would be careful about the concept of "i didnt feel it" i had my knee busted up like that. some things just snap quicker than we thought would happen. i had a guy twist my leg like a turkey dinner on holiday. i didnt feel it at all.....until i did. at that point the damage to the ligaments was done.
Yep, there's a difference between "not feeling" a lock that's not there yet (happens quite a bit for me with one of the shoulder locks we use - I can often roll away from it and escape) and "not feeling" it because your body isn't giving you the feedback (had a training partner get a broken bone in his hand because he wasn't paying enough attention on a lock he knew he never felt, even when it was locked).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny thing is looked on the clubs Facebook and the guy had won a silver medal the weekend before....thing is there were only 2 including him on the podium so he had one fight and lost and got a silver medal....lol...I mean nothing wrong with that he turned up to compete and only 2 guys in his division that's not his fault he turned up to compete and he did but still he put a big post on about how he was a silver medalist which technically is true but tbh I wouldn't feel good having a medal when j lost my only match so effectively came last yet he was bragging about it....says something about his ego to me
I agree. Though it could also mean there were 4 folks, and they figured you can't give medals to more than half the folks in an age group. Still, I wouldn't brag about a medal that just meant I was about average for a group of 4.

Latest Discussions