FEAR

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
I enjoy watching MotoJitsu on youtube, it has improved my ability to drive my motoercycle on the street.
The guy on the video is an exmarine with a masters in pyschlogy. He is an excellent teacher.
He made a video on fear. I think it relates to everything not just motorcyles.
I hope you enjoy it.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Fear is the demon most do not want to face, fear creates tension, tension puts your timing off, fear stops you from responding, fear makes you flinch, which costs you time.
Maybe its their jab, or their snappy front kick, under pressure our field of vision narrows, we concerntrated on the thing that envokes fear, tunnel vision is whats left.
If we learn to confront these fears, we lose the tension, our vision widens, and we see more, we respond better, we move more efficeint. Good, if not long winded video.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes it does, you just dont recognise it

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Fear is an individual thing, not a group thing, and it is THE thing, for an individual to overcome

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not a fan, but does point to a valuble point

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, i dont get the American sence of humor, I have been reading Rats posts, but fear is the most fundamentale block in most ma progression.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, i dont get the American sence of humor, I have been reading Rats posts, but fear is the most fundamentale block in most ma progression.
Not sure that it's related, but rat actually isn't american. I think he's british.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of the good things about being oblivious is your usually unaware to fear as well... It doesn't counterbalance the negative side ,but it helps.

Kyokushin_1054

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Here is something I started thinking at age 13 that helped me get past some of my first professional fights and training: I started accepting that you can't run away from fear and that training hard will always be important but you cant only see how hard you train as the only factor that will influence your performance. At the end of the day, the most important thing is embracing fear and pain. Especially pain! You can train all you like, the pain won't go away, you just got to become one with it. I know this is nothing new to all of you: you have probably heard it a million times. I just feel like it still fascinates me every day how important that idea is! Anyone else have cool stories of how you dealt with pain and fear?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is something I started thinking at age 13 that helped me get past some of my first professional fights and training: I started accepting that you can't run away from fear and that training hard will always be important but you cant only see how hard you train as the only factor that will influence your performance. At the end of the day, the most important thing is embracing fear and pain. Especially pain! You can train all you like, the pain won't go away, you just got to become one with it. I know this is nothing new to all of you: you have probably heard it a million times. I just feel like it still fascinates me every day how important that idea is! Anyone else have cool stories of how you dealt with pain and fear?
well they are very separate things

one being entirely physical and the other entirely mental, though they do intersect at the point you are in fear of pain, which is a very necessary evolutionary adaptation,

im thinking of those that do extreme sports who end up with dozens of fractures, thats only a good idea if that sport pays enough so you dont need a healthy body to live the rest of your life, and im including ma arts in that, if it hurts a lot very often, your not good enough give it up and take up a less risky pass time

but you dont embrace either of them, thats just gets your more hurt and more scared

Last edited:

Kyokushin_1054

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The problem is when you start enjoying it. :D

Hahaha exactly. Well, I have to say it can be good and bad. I had to learn the hard way that it is a 50/50 lottery of something going horribly wrong!

Kyokushin_1054

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
well they are very separate things

one being entirely physical and the other entirely mental, though they do intersect at the point you are in fear of pain, which is a very necessary evolutionary adaptation,

im thinking of those that do extreme sports who end up with dozens of fractures, thats only a good idea if that sport pays enough so you dont need a healthy body to live the rest of your life, and im including ma arts in that, if it hurts a lot very often, your not good enough give it up and take up a less risky pass time

but you dont embrace either of them, thats just gets your more hurt and more scared

I see what you are seeing. Interesting perspective indeed. We all have our own experiences and that is something we must all respect and I do so very much enjoy that about these forums. I still do believe pain has mental aspects to it: biological, psychological and emotional factors. I do apologize if I come off as a bit stubborn or old school in my thought process here. I am still learning to embrace the soft. I think this also depends on how you were trained, how you grew up and what your experiences are. For me, I was only ever told that giving 150% for everything is the key. Now obviously, I try to do it smartly but yes it is definitely a limitation in my thought process at times.

Would you mind to elaborate a little more on why you think embracing them is not something we should be doing? I'd be very interested to understand your thought process here.

Kyokushin_1054

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ive never been a fan of that kind of saying.

Yes, with all due respect, however, I will repeat myself by saying that we all have our differences and our own experiences, and backgrounds that will determine our individual mindset. The same applies to my coaches, mentors, and father. It would be rather foolish to simply think that there is one way of seeing everything, am I right?