Issue of Respect

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Why always relate respect to skills? We are not perfect and I am sure many people have certain skills that we do not possess, that we know or not. Giving respect to someone only if that someone shows you that he is superior to you in something is no longer respecting, but I would call that bowing to his/her superiority admitting your weaknesses.
Does my young daughter deserve respect? Well according to many it seems not. She has a lot to learn so can't prove me at this point that she can beat me in some skills, thus she doesn't deserve respect.

As I see it, you give respect to people because they are another human being, not because they can do something you can't do.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why always relate respect to skills? We are not perfect and I am sure many people have certain skills that we do not possess, that we know or not. Giving respect to someone only if that someone shows you that he is superior to you in something is no longer respecting, but I would call that bowing to his/her superiority admitting your weaknesses.
Does my young daughter deserve respect? Well according to many it seems not. She has a lot to learn so can't prove me at this point that she can beat me in some skills, thus she doesn't deserve respect.

As I see it, you give respect to people because they are another human being, not because they can do something you can't do.

Well said, and great illustration with your daughter. Old Lakota saying: Children are the true teachers. If that's true, we need to have their respect. Anyway, another way to look at it.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice thread topic Terry. :)

First off I would like this decussion to stay withen the framework of the original post.

1) Why is it better said you have to earn respect?

I live by the motto, "Respect is a two way street. You have to give it to get it." I do my best to be polite and respectful to everyone I come across. I always give someone the benefit of the doubt. However, if someone can't return the favor, I lessen the amount of respect I hold for them.

2) Respect is a part of life, so why should we not respect each other for the sake of respect?

Sure. As I said, some people just do not want to give it. I'm certainly not if someone can't be respectful back to me.

3) In Martial Arts it seems if you are not a top notch fighter or on the Seminar circuit then you are worthles to the Arts and thus you get no respect?

If someone chooses not to think much of me because I'm not a top notch fighter, its their loss. What is it about stepping into the ring, that commands such respect? I used to compete alot. I saw the attitudes and the overall atmosphere of some events, so I chose to give it up. Was I top notch? Far from it, but I always gave it my best. :)

4) If you choose to teach childern instead of Adults you have no respect from anybody?

I've taught both. I must have earned the respect of the parents and the adults, because I was always getting compliments on my teaching. :)

5)When people get older they respect is all gone from them and they are written off as nothing to offer anybody.

I havent seen this.

6) Is it not true that to be respected you must first respect everything else?

As I said above, I do my best to be friendly to everyone and I would hope I get that in return.

Mike

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
1) Why is it better said you have to earn respect?[/quote]
I don't believe it is.
2) Respect is a part of life, so why should we not respect each other for the sake of respect?
We should, but once I have granted you respect because you are a human being, you need to return it to show that my respect for you is in fact warrented. I always try to treat everyone as if they are a good person, but after that, my life is governed by a simple philosophy - "Treat me good and I'll treat you better. Treat me bad and I'll treat you worse."
3) In Martial Arts it seems if you are not a top notch fighter or on the Seminar circuit then you are worthles to the Arts and thus you get no respect?
A horrible flaw that shows a true ignorance of everything we are supposed to be learning as a martial artist. I actually don't see too much of this except from a few - unfortunately - prominent members of the circuit.
4) If you choose to teach childern instead of Adults you have no respect from anybody?
I am a teacher of children so I am a little biased. To me there is no higher calling than a teacher - period.
5)When people get older they respect is all gone from them and they are written off as nothing to offer anybody.
More of that same ignorance. Knowledge is out greatest resource and those that have long full life experiences have knowledge to share. We should learn from and respect our elders. But to play the Devils advocate - how long would you hang around an older gentlman who only talked of how your generation has no worth and his generation had it all right? It goes both ways.
6) Is it not true that to be respected you must first respect everything else?

Yes.

Latest Discussions