Is this a red flag?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've only had a few months of martial arts experience, and I've recently had to move to a new city. I'm having a lot of difficulty finding a school that matches with my previous experience, so I've expanded my search to include other traditions.

One school has really piqued my interest, and I reached out to schedule in introductory session, but they charge $25 dollars for such a session. Is this a red flag? I won't be able to find out what their monthly fees are unless I meet with them . . . but I have to pay to meet with them, and as awesome as they may be, they may not be in my budget range. Now, I 100% understand meeting with a student and making sure your goals are aligned before discussing rates, but this is the first time I've encountered a martial arts school that charges for intros; however, that could just be due to my inexperience.

Just to put an alternate view out there…

I charge for a trial class. So no, I don't consider it a "red flag" at all… but here's the thing… there has to be a good reason for it. I think it's a lot rarer in the States, based on the responses here, I haven't had any real negative responses to the policy at all. That said, what I recommend to all prospective students is that they first watch a class (obviously no fee attached to that!) to get an idea of what the classes are like, and then, if they like what they see, to come back for a trial class. This is at a (slightly) reduced fee (which is also put towards the months fees if the student becomes a member), to see how they feel in the group itself.

When it comes to reasons for the fee, well, I won't give the biggest one here… but I will say that, due to rent costs, insurance, and so on, the fee does help cover that.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Presumably they don't charge to meet them so go, see what they are like, ask if you can watch for free then make your mind up. It could be a fantastic place that you love, better to have a look than miss the chance it could be great. If it's pants well, you'll know and carry on looking.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I charge for a trial class. So no, I don't consider it a "red flag" at all… but here's the thing… there has to be a good reason for it. I think it's a lot rarer in the States, based on the responses here, I haven't had any real negative responses to the policy at all. That said, what I recommend to all prospective students is that they first watch a class (obviously no fee attached to that!) to get an idea of what the classes are like, and then, if they like what they see, to come back for a trial class.

My issue with it isn't charging for the trial class-I can understand why you might do that though it is odd here. My issue is that they charge to simply observe a class or find out how much they will be paying.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My issue with it isn't charging for the trial class-I can understand why you might do that though it is odd here. My issue is that they charge to simply observe a class or find out how much they will be paying.

From what the OP said they charge for the first session, the introductory session. From what he said I don't think they charge to see them or just watch.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I won't be able to find out what their monthly fees are unless I meet with them . . . but I have to pay to meet with them, and as awesome as they may be, they may not be in my budget range.

From what the OP said they charge for the first session, the introductory session. From what he said I don't think they charge to see them or just watch.

I assumed it based on this sentence, although admittedly it doesn't mention anything about observation there. If he can observe, than I agree with your advice completely.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I assumed it based on this sentence, although admittedly it doesn't mention anything about observation there. If he can observe, than I agree with your advice completely.
It doesn't work that way; although, a parent may watch their own child take a lesson, the classes are closed to the public. I will let you know right now, they want to control the class in such a way that it is a big production. The lessons will be more than you want to pay, but given the obvious value of the program... (yada yada yada) You see, I've done this before. I was not the best enrolment director. LOL

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If this is accurate...
I won't be able to find out what their monthly fees are unless I meet with them . . . but I have to pay to meet with them

...then I would consider it a huge red flag. I'm not a fan of paying up front without being able to see what I'm getting.

If they were charging for the trial session but were willing to meet, discuss fees, and allow the student to watch a class without charging, then it wouldn't be such a red flag. It would still be unusually expensive if they're charging $25 per class, but at least the student could decide ahead of time if the training is worth it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't work that way; although, a parent may watch their own child take a lesson, the classes are closed to the public. I will let you know right now, they want to control the class in such a way that it is a big production. The lessons will be more than you want to pay, but given the obvious value of the program... (yada yada yada) You see, I've done this before. I was not the best enrolment director. LOL

Though to be honest you can't say for sure it's that way with this one. To get to see us in training you need to answer some security questions, get a pass for your car and for yourself. Sometimes you will be searched as will your car, sometimes you won't be allowed in!
We are cheap though.

OP
S

Spinoza

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was able to get a hold of them on the phone and confirm that they do not allow people to come watch a class for free. The only way to find out more information is by signing up for the intro class.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain, but I was wrong, once, on a Jeopardy question, but they came back later, and corrected their error, on the next episode. ;)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was able to get a hold of them on the phone and confirm that they do not allow people to come watch a class for free. The only way to find out more information is by signing up for the intro class.
They don't bite. Just get ready for a show. :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a red flag but an an irredeemable one. I would be cautious. Most schools allow a free class. That they don't is a bit odd. If they have a variety of pricing structures I can understand them not wanting to discuss it over the phone because it's a pain.

$25 a class is either good or not. Rental spaces are expensive. Our club charges a $20 drop in fee. We couldn't keep the doors open for less... none of the instructors get paid, but rent and insurance add up.
I haven't checked out open mat fees lately, but a $20-25 guest pass/drop in fee isn't unreasonable at a gym. Bills have to be paid, the lesson takes time, etc. Sure, lots of places offer a free trial class, but that's a tool to get you in, like a "free vacation weekend" at a timeshare. So, I can see the fee, especially if it's paired with a "we'll knock if off the first month if you sign up" deal, like ballen mentioned. It's a point to look at, not an automatic disqualifier.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
While paying for intro classes isn't usual in the US, since they're trying to entice people to try it out, I don't see it as a red flag. The only thing I think is weird is that you can't watch a class. Personally, I've never seen a school like that.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think this is where many of us are drawing the line. Out of all the schools that are out there, I'm sure that one isn't the best by far.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello all,

One school has really piqued my interest, and I reached out to schedule in introductory session, but they charge $25 dollars for such a session. Is this a red flag? I won't be able to find out what their monthly fees are unless I meet with them . . . but I have to pay to meet with them, and as awesome as they may be, they may not be in my budget range. Now, I 100% understand meeting with a student and making sure your goals are aligned before discussing rates, but this is the first time I've encountered a martial arts school that charges for intros; however, that could just be due to my inexperience.
I know of numerous facilities that charge $20 to $30 for an intro session and they are excellent places for training. The intro isn't just a meet and greet. It is time spent getting to understand your goals as well actually having a one on one 25-30 minute private lesson. This allows you to evaluate the school and the instruction, the instructor gets to evaluate you and make recommendations as to what membership options best suit your goals. It gives us an insight into the individuals attitude toward taking instruction, their comfort level learning something new, how they learn and which of our programs and which of our instructors are probably the best fit for them especially as a beginner.
We also do not discuss prices until the perspective student attends an intro session. We charge for the intro and if the person signs up we credit that cost to the enrollment fee. So they get it back.

As for a 'show' that Touch of Death speaks of I'm not certain what he is referring to.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know of numerous facilities that charge $20 to $30 for an intro session and they are excellent places for training. The intro isn't just a meet and greet. It is time spent getting to understand your goals as well actually having a one on one 25-30 minute private lesson. This allows you to evaluate the school and the instruction, the instructor gets to evaluate you and make recommendations as to what membership options best suit your goals. It gives us an insight into the individuals attitude toward taking instruction, their comfort level learning something new, how they learn and which of our programs and which of our instructors are probably the best fit for them especially as a beginner.
We also do not discuss prices until the perspective student attends an intro session. We charge for the intro and if the person signs up we credit that cost to the enrollment fee. So they get it back.

As for a 'show' that Touch of Death speaks of I'm not certain what he is referring to.
Exactly what you just said.

Latest Discussions