Flag Placement - US, International, and State Flags

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on best practices for hanging flags, both in my home dojo and in my future commercial school. I have the way I've seen flags in class, the way I want to post the flags, and then there's the rules I've read on flag etiquette.

This is also with the understanding that the flag etiquette rules don't really seem to be enforceable (especially considering that in my experience, they are not followed).

Commercial Taekwondo school:
  • My original plan - American Flag - Korean Flag - Texan Flag. This puts the Korean flag in the center, which makes it
  • My experience - In both my current and most recent dojang, it went Korean Flag - American Flag, with no state flag.
  • My research - As far as I can tell, there was no advice given on including US, International, and State flags. There was only for US and International (US on the left, all flags same height in times of peace) or for US and State (on the same flagpole, US flag is on top; on separate poles, US flag is centered).
In this case, I actually like my original plan. Going left-to-right we have US - International - State, and the Korean flag being centered works well for various ceremonies.

Home Dojo:

For my home dojo, I would like to include flags of the places I've studied martial arts, and from the countries where the arts originated. This means that for TKD/HKD, BJJ, and Muay Thai, I would have the flags of South Korea, Brazil, and Thailand; and for my training I would have the US flag, WA state flag, and TX state flag.

My original plan, in part due to the space I have, is to do two rows:
  • Top row - US, WA, TX
  • Bottom row - South Korea, Brazil, Thailand
This would look nice, as the US and South Korean flag go well together (at least they do in the dojangs I've been in), and then WA/Brazil and TX/Thailand have similar colors on their flags. However, it breaks flag etiquette in that the international country flags would be lower than the US flag, which is taboo in times of peace.

The two alternate solutions I can come up with would require either selecting a different wall for the flags (which is going to put them in a weird spot) and/or using smaller flags so they can fit.
  • Option 1: All 6 flags in one row - US - South Korea - Brazil - Thailand - TX - WA
  • Option 2: Country flags on top row - US - Brazil - Thailand - South Korea; state flags on bottom row: WA and TX under Brazil and Thailand (for the same reason as above)
I'm still not 100% against my original arrangement. I feel that would look the best. And I doubt anyone is going to go to war over what's set up in my home gym.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure the US flag should be on the left as you face it and generally slightly above the other flags. It should be hung so that it is flat against the wall (not folded or draped), and should be as large or larger than the other flags.

You’d want to look up Texas protocol, but generally the state flag would be next to the USA flag, and then other flags.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Regarding whether anyone would go to war or any kind of prosecution, you’re right. But that’s not an excuse, in my opinion, to disrespect the US flag. And you might tick off/lose some prospective students.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Regarding whether anyone would go to war or any kind of prosecution, you’re right. But that’s not an excuse, in my opinion, to disrespect the US flag. And you might tick off/lose some prospective students.
In what way would I have disrespected the US flag in any of my suggestions?

Especially since the comment was about my home dojo and not the commercial school?

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on best practices for hanging flags, both in my home dojo and in my future commercial school. I have the way I've seen flags in class, the way I want to post the flags, and then there's the rules I've read on flag etiquette.

This is also with the understanding that the flag etiquette rules don't really seem to be enforceable (especially considering that in my experience, they are not followed).

Commercial Taekwondo school:
  • My original plan - American Flag - Korean Flag - Texan Flag. This puts the Korean flag in the center, which makes it
  • My experience - In both my current and most recent dojang, it went Korean Flag - American Flag, with no state flag.
  • My research - As far as I can tell, there was no advice given on including US, International, and State flags. There was only for US and International (US on the left, all flags same height in times of peace) or for US and State (on the same flagpole, US flag is on top; on separate poles, US flag is centered).
In this case, I actually like my original plan. Going left-to-right we have US - International - State, and the Korean flag being centered works well for various ceremonies.

Home Dojo:

For my home dojo, I would like to include flags of the places I've studied martial arts, and from the countries where the arts originated. This means that for TKD/HKD, BJJ, and Muay Thai, I would have the flags of South Korea, Brazil, and Thailand; and for my training I would have the US flag, WA state flag, and TX state flag.

My original plan, in part due to the space I have, is to do two rows:
  • Top row - US, WA, TX
  • Bottom row - South Korea, Brazil, Thailand
This would look nice, as the US and South Korean flag go well together (at least they do in the dojangs I've been in), and then WA/Brazil and TX/Thailand have similar colors on their flags. However, it breaks flag etiquette in that the international country flags would be lower than the US flag, which is taboo in times of peace.

The two alternate solutions I can come up with would require either selecting a different wall for the flags (which is going to put them in a weird spot) and/or using smaller flags so they can fit.
  • Option 1: All 6 flags in one row - US - South Korea - Brazil - Thailand - TX - WA
  • Option 2: Country flags on top row - US - Brazil - Thailand - South Korea; state flags on bottom row: WA and TX under Brazil and Thailand (for the same reason as above)
I'm still not 100% against my original arrangement. I feel that would look the best. And I doubt anyone is going to go to war over what's set up in my home gym.
I see no issue as long as the US flag is slightly higher than the rest. Personally, I would go TX next, but could see going country first, state last.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
In what way would I have disrespected the US flag in any of my suggestions?

Especially since the comment was about my home dojo and not the commercial school?
Sure. It’s not enforceable anyway. Right?

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sure. It’s not enforceable anyway. Right?
You didn't answer my question.

You said my plan might be disrespectful to the US flag. How so?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You didn't answer my question.

You said my plan might be disrespectful to the US flag. How so?
No, actually I didn’t. Go back and read it again. And maybe think a little about why you are so defensive about this.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, actually I didn’t. Go back and read it again. And maybe think a little about why you are so defensive about this.
Yes, you did.

I never said anything about disrespecting the US flag. None of my suggestions go against the protocols regarding the US flag. The problems with the arrangements I had were that they went against the protocols for other nation's flags.

For someone saying "go back and read it again", maybe you need to.

Also, I gave you an opportunity to clarify. And instead you doubled down. Maybe you need to think about why you're being so defensive.

Or are you just crybullying?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yes, you did.

I never said anything about disrespecting the US flag. None of my suggestions go against the protocols regarding the US flag. The problems with the arrangements I had were that they went against the protocols for other nation's flags.

For someone saying "go back and read it again", maybe you need to.

Also, I gave you an opportunity to clarify. And instead you doubled down. Maybe you need to think about why you're being so defensive.

Or are you just crybullying?
I’m just a cry bully. I think that’s it. Look. Whatever’s up, I hope your school goes well and I’m sure your flags will look great. I’m glad to hear you aren’t planning to be as cavalier about flag protocol as your initial post sounded to me.

I’ll think more carefully in the future about answering your questions or trying to be helpful to you.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Within the US, the the US flag is supposed to be to the left of any other flags when hung in a row. I'm not sure if it matters if the state flag is to the left or right of the foreign flags, I haven't heard anything about that one way or the other.

Personally, honestly? I think having cloth flags hung up can look a little junky. We have them too, but I keep thinking it would look better to get wall decals or something like that.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Flag Code dictates how the US flag is to be displayed. If it's not spelled out in the Code, then it's up to you. No need to overthink it.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The Flag Code dictates how the US flag is to be displayed. If it's not spelled out in the Code, then it's up to you. No need to overthink it.
As a non-American, I found it funny to read how many rules there are regarding displaying and handling a flag.....then see people wear the flag design on breasts and crotch (i.e., swimsuits).

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a non-American, I found it funny to read how many rules there are regarding displaying and handling a flag.....then see people wear the flag design on breasts and crotch (i.e., swimsuits).
That's actually illegal, but the Flag Code does not include penalties. So many people feel comfortable ignoring it.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's actually illegal, but the Flag Code does not include penalties. So many people feel comfortable ignoring it.
All flags are nothing but shadows and dust.

Ignoring flags? I wish it were that easy, Dirty.

Latest Discussions