Monthly Costs

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Back when I was charging monthly fees I had a guy come in pay me for 3 months and I never saw him again after only one class.
So I guess people are going to drop out if they're going to drop out and they're going to commit if they're going to commit.
I guess I should clarify by saying I only teach one day a week because of my work schedule I have other students who run working groups at various other times through the week.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only downside to that is commitment. Do you get a long term commitment from guys paying on a lesson to lesson basis, Yak?

Our group is small and I like to work one on one with my more advanced guys. That means that each new guy takes a lot of time away from the rest --either my time or on of my two assistants. I hate it when a new guy comes in, takes a few weeks of classes, has a zillion questions, and takes up a lot of instructional time only to disappear and never to be seen again. In a commercial school with high fees and contracts, those guys might be just money in the bank. But in a club environment like I run, they are a waste of everybody's time.

So, if someone visits a class and tries an introductory lesson, then I feel it's time to make a decision and commit to at least a month, preferably three months. Then the new student can actually learn something and make an informed decision as to whether to continue or not.

I'm in the same position you are. Back when I was teaching two and three nights a week, I hated to see a new person walk in the door because it just made everything grind to a halt.

Now that I'm teaching just the one day a week I do not let new people come in to my class until they have spent some time with one of my other guys learning basic footwork hand positions and SNT

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
My only concern about that is it seems that it would encourage students not to show up as often. For someone like myself who usually trains at least 4 days per week, that would come out to $240/month not including the workshop. On days when I'm feeling lazy, the thought of saving some money might be the excuse I needed to miss class.

... on the other hand, if you were just a little closer I might be willing to stop by and pay for 1-2 classes per month just to get a little taste of Wing Tsun. I've always had an interest in WC/WT, but I've only had a small amount or personal experience with the art. (I still practice and occasionally use the tiny bit I've learned.)

Unfortunately, it's about 1 & 1/2 hours each way to Louisville and the drive time is a definite disincentive. I assume the 5-hour workshops are intended more for experienced students than complete novices? I'd be willing to drive that far and pay $30 for a weekend seminar, but there probably wouldn't be much point if you're spending that time polishing students up on a form that I haven't learned.

With all your experience, I would stand to learn more from you than you would from me, but if you ever decide to make the drive I would love to train with you.
BTW, the workshops are open to everyone once they've spent some time learning the basics, like I had mentioned in the above post to geezer.
I may be able to free up some weekend time if you want to get together.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
With all your experience, I would stand to learn more from you than you would from me, but if you ever decide to make the drive I would love to train with you.
BTW, the workshops are open to everyone once they've spent some time learning the basics, like I had mentioned in the above post to geezer.
I may be able to free up some weekend time if you want to get together.
Sent you a PM.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
We charge around $120 per month plus a uniform ($40) to start. We offer discounts for paying up front (3 months, 6 months, or one year) and we give a free uniform with those packages. It's $80 per month for just weekends. We have classes 7 days a week. We're in a huge city. Our prices are pretty much average, I believe.

Tests cost $15. It's possible to test every two months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Our prices are $30 per individual $60 for a family of 2 or more. We don't have the overhead that most schools have so we can charge less.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Our prices are $30 per individual $60 for a family of 2 or more. We don't have the overhead that most schools have so we can charge less.

Nice, I would be over that like white on rice.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is interesting to see how prices vary depending on the systems and the area

I have nothing against people charging top rates for good instruction in a nice facility. And if it's a person's livleyhood, I recognize that they need to make a decent living.

Agreed. Plus, like you say, it depends on a lot on the area. Both cost of living and average income varies enormously across the US and world, and tuition fees are going to reflect that. A school in NYC is not going to be able to charge the same rate as a school in rural Nebraska.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In my area (Albany, NY), most schools charge around $120/month for adults. Just about all of them have yearly contracts.

The local TKD schools pretty much make it impossible to determine how much they charge per month. They all have "black belt plans." You can pay it all up front, including testing fees until you get your black belt. Or you can make a downpayment and finance it. What they don't tell you is the black belt itself costs $200. You don't pay for the test, just the belt. A friend has her 2 kids enrolled in one of these circuses. $3500 down, and $300/month for 2 1/2 years. Average time for black belt: 2 1/2 years. No monthly or even yearly rates; black belt plans are the only option. Your 5 year old kid drops out after a month, you still pay the entire contract, auto deducted from your checking account. That's not a knock on TKD; it's a knock on the TKD schools in my area.

My dojo charges $55/month for adults, $45 for kids (15 and under). No contracts. Family plan is 1 adult pays full price, the rest are $10 off each. So I pay $55 for me, and $35 for my daughter. If no adults (say, 3 kids), 1 pays full price, the rest are $10 off each.

Where I go is the cheapest I know of (that wasn't my reason for joining). My CI and his wife are recently retired from full-time day jobs, and the dojo has been about break-even plus a vacation or two a year for them. Dojo is closed Friday and Sunday, and there are 2 classes every night it's open.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A friend has her 2 kids enrolled in one of these circuses. $3500 down, and $300/month for 2 1/2 years.
Say what!?!:eek:

Forget learning martial arts from those guys, I want to learn their sales techniques. Armed with those you could probably talk a mugger into handing over his own wallet.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
friend has her 2 kids enrolled in one of these circuses. $3500 down, and $300/month for 2 1/2 years. Average time for black belt: 2 1/2 years. No monthly or even yearly rates; black belt plans are the only option. Your 5 year old kid drops out after a month, you still pay the entire contract, auto deducted from your checking account
Wow. I don't even know what to say about something like that...Except your friend can come to my school pay the same rate and I'll get her 2 kids a black belt in 2 weeks, depending on shipping and handling. lol. I'll get their names on the belt for $50 more.

I need to go take marketing lessons from that school. lol

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Say what!?!:eek:

Forget learning martial arts from those guys, I want to learn their sales techniques. Armed with those you could probably talk a mugger into handing over his own wallet.

I went there to see what goes on, as its 2 blocks from my work. Glorified day care. They have different "membership levels," and she chose the highest. Here's part of their sales strategy...

Meet with an instructor in the office. They tell you all the benefits. Ask how much, they keep going with the benefits. Ask again, they tell you they have several different levels of membership and get you to make an appointment to have two private evaluation- type classes in the office for your child. After the kid's been there twice and is hooked, then tell you the cost. Your kid will talk you into it in during the car ride home.

I kept pressing her to tell me the cost, but she wouldn't. I finally said "don't you have a sheet with fees and dues, or is it make it up as you go? You mentioned a contract earlier; can I see it?" The reply: it works out to about $150/month on average. Is Wednesday at 3:30 a good time to bring your daughter in for her first private lesson?"

Hook them while they're young, just like the tobacco companies.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow. I don't even know what to say about something like that...Except your friend can come to my school pay the same rate and I'll get her 2 kids a black belt in 2 weeks, depending on shipping and handling. lol. I'll get their names on the belt for $50 more.

I need to go take marketing lessons from that school. lol

I told her how much I pay, and how much my daughter would cost (this was before she started). She had no response. Either she was in shock because she just realized how badly she'd been taken, or figured it's cheap because it's not any good.

Telling her once was enough. She thinks her kids are the next Bruce Lee, and where she's sending them is the only place on their level. They've got all the patches on their uniforms to prove their accomplishments; we have none. Some of them say...

Great kicks
Great spirit
Honor Roll
Great focus
Future Black Belt

The CI has the best patches (including what I've said above):
Black belt club
Expert
Grand Master

Didn't think a 10th degree black belt needed patches to say he is an expert or has great kicks. I figured his technique and rank said everything that needed to be said, but I guess not.

On another note, I wonder who awarded him his 10th degree black belt? Probably some mysterious master in the remote mountains of Korea that is currently unavailable for confirmation.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The local TKD schools pretty much make it impossible to determine how much they charge per month. They all have "black belt plans." You can pay it all up front, including testing fees until you get your black belt. Or you can make a downpayment and finance it. What they don't tell you is the black belt itself costs $200. You don't pay for the test, just the belt. A friend has her 2 kids enrolled in one of these circuses. $3500 down, and $300/month for 2 1/2 years. Average time for black belt: 2 1/2 years. No monthly or even yearly rates; black belt plans are the only option. Your 5 year old kid drops out after a month, you still pay the entire contract, auto deducted from your checking account. That's not a knock on TKD; it's a knock on the TKD schools in my area.

Wow, what. WTF. We charge more than a lot of the places on this thread (though not that much), because we're a commercial school in the suburbs of a major city, but that's ridiculous. Stuff like that makes me understand better why my state has consumer protection laws governing how much gyms/studios can charge up front.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
£6 a session or £60 a month for unlimited.

£5 - £6 for a class is pretty standard here but the £60 really works out as good value for money with there being sessions even beginners can attend 7 days a week. I get along to 5 most weeks and have saved loads these past two months with the monthly scheme

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
In my area (Albany, NY), most schools charge around $120/month for adults. Just about all of them have yearly contracts.

The local TKD schools pretty much make it impossible to determine how much they charge per month. They all have "black belt plans." You can pay it all up front, including testing fees until you get your black belt. Or you can make a downpayment and finance it. What they don't tell you is the black belt itself costs $200. You don't pay for the test, just the belt. A friend has her 2 kids enrolled in one of these circuses. $3500 down, and $300/month for 2 1/2 years. Average time for black belt: 2 1/2 years. No monthly or even yearly rates; black belt plans are the only option. Your 5 year old kid drops out after a month, you still pay the entire contract, auto deducted from your checking account. That's not a knock on TKD; it's a knock on the TKD schools in my area..

Those numbers are higher than what I have seen but the tactics are not. Just last week, a buddy of my son got invited to a TKD Birthday party, got suckered into the free trail classes and parents took the bait hook, line and sinker even though they asked us about it and i told the Mom to call me because I had done quite a bit of research on the various schools in the area before signing my kids up….one year contract for a five year old at inflated prices…dunno if they went for the black belt club, too……..sigh

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A friend has her 2 kids enrolled in one of these circuses. $3500 down, and $300/month for 2 1/2 years.

I kept pressing her to tell me the cost, but she wouldn't. I finally said "don't you have a sheet with fees and dues, or is it make it up as you go? You mentioned a contract earlier; can I see it?" The reply: it works out to about $150/month on average. Is Wednesday at 3:30 a good time to bring your daughter in for her first private lesson?"

Okay, so $150/month would make it $300/month for two kids. What's the $3500 down payment for? Test fees?