Is paintball a martial art?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
After spending the day at the paintball range for the first time, I came away with the feeling that this was a martial art. The guys I played with were cool and some were in one branch of the service or the other. Others were there practicing tactics and learning how to fire their weapons better. It reminded me of the martial sports that we play now because they are removed from combat, but yet retain some elements. Paintball could be a martial art. What do you think?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know that I'd call it a MA. But it sure is fun.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
in a single word, NO, teaches some bad habits for real combat.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
in a single word, NO, teaches some bad habits for real combat.

Like what?

Regardless of the answer, doesn't Kendo also teach some bad habits for real swordplay? Yet, isn't it considered a martial art?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Paintball is, in fact, Paintball. And other obvious truths. It isnt a Martial Art, and it certainly isnt meant to be.
Its a Game played for Fun.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
After spending the day at the paintball range for the first time, I came away with the feeling that this was a martial art. The guys I played with were cool and some were in one branch of the service or the other. Others were there practicing tactics and learning how to fire their weapons better. It reminded me of the martial sports that we play now because they are removed from combat, but yet retain some elements. Paintball could be a martial art. What do you think?

Where did you play, at kualoa ranch? I used to play paintball there and it is definitely a martial art.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bellows. We had a Cub Scout function at the group camp. The paintball field is adjacent.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Can you call something a martial art if it has no formal, standardised pedagogy?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well as long as it is written down somewhere. Preferably on parchment. With a seal.

And a ranking system. Maybe that's what the different colors of paintballs are...

If that is the case, then would blue ball be a high or low rank?

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And a ranking system. Maybe that's what the different colors of paintballs are...

If that is the case, then would blue ball be a high or low rank?
I would imagine that would be a temporarily held rank. Least I would hope so. Also, I think there is a minimum age for paintball? Then that would preclude many potentially masterful under 14 paintball BBs.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Paintball, Chess ... Yeah. Why not. Both are trying to knock off your opponent, just with Chess you don't have to get out of your chair. Both could be called martial but are they really martial arts. :uhyeah:

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Paintball, Chess ... Yeah. Why not. Both are trying to knock off your opponent, just with Chess you don't have to get out of your chair. Both could be called martial but are they really martial arts. :uhyeah:
The kids game Tag is also a Martial Art, for You are hunting down Your fleeing opponent, then *tapping them*.

J W

Green Belt
Reaction score
Like what?

Regardless of the answer, doesn't Kendo also teach some bad habits for real swordplay? Yet, isn't it considered a martial art?

Paintballs don't fly anything like bullets (or nearly as far), so the strategies are completely different from combat. It's really more like hucking little water balloons at each other instead of firing weapons. I actually started to enjoy paintball more (and get better at it) when I stopped thinking of it as combat simulation.

I don't know much about Kendo, so I can't comment on that comparison. But with paintball, unless you join a team that trains regularly for tournaments and whatnot, there is no real training. You just pick up a marker and go shoot at people. No training = no martial art, I would say.

It is a hell of alot of fun, though. I need to go play paintball again.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's not a martial art, to me, but it's fun to think of it that way!
I haven't played in twenty years. Last time, there were forty of us. All karate guys and cops. We played indoors, in an huge abandoned shoe factory that a paintball company took over. There were four young men who were our hosts/referees. They were nice guys, played organized paintball across the country, and had their own customized paintball guns.

About an hour in, some of the guys with us (from different martial arts schools) got a little hot under the collar and lost their gentlemanly ways. It started to get ugly. The referees warned us once. When it happened a second time, a real fistfight was about to start when the refs took us to the woodshed. They just opened up on us. Their guns were faster, more accurate, and hit much harder. The suckers REALLY HURT. They also knew what they were doing. They chased us and just slaughtered us. Oh, what an *** whooping we got for about two minutes. Even though it was only a handful of guys who had gotten out of line, the refs figured we ALL deserved a lesson for not controlling each other. And they were right.

They finally stopped and asked, "You men want to behave, or would you like some more?" We waved white flags and apologized profusely, a couple of the guys even politely laughed and bowed. And we sure as heck behaved from then on out.

I've played a few times. I liked indoors more than outdoors, there was more, I don't know, tension maybe, going from room to room waiting to get bushwhacked. I see similarities to martial arts, but maybe because they're both a lot of fun.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The elements of paintball, marksmanship, running, evasion, stalking are martial in nature, marksmanship, of course being a martial art. Paintball, itself, however is not.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The kids game Tag is also a Martial Art, for You are hunting down Your fleeing opponent, then *tapping them*.

I use tag as a warm up for kids. Usually one person is "it" and they all try and catch that person.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Paintballs as much a martial art as most schools out there, in that 'close but no cigar' way.

It's as close to 'modern combat' as most people can ever get without joining the military.
There's strategy, pain-feedback, 1 shot 1 kill, strategy and tactics.
And if you're an *** like me, hand to hand and high tech (I once taped a paintbrush on my gun like a bayonet, and used a laser sight) :D

It's far removed as the fire is unpredictible, it is obviously a glorified game of tag, and what works in a game often won't work in 'reality'.

That said, it's a lot of fun, unless you have a little nose-picker with poor fire control spray n pray you point blank in the back.

Been a few years since I played last. Miss it, but it's an expensive hobby for someone living off forum revenues. LOL

Latest Discussions