Is Ninjutsu Real??

I

InvisibleFist

My apologies if this is a FAQ, but I've searched the net and gotten no good answer.

I've heard several authorites say that Ninjutsu is a made up style, based on 19th and twentieth century pop-cultural legends of the "ninja". That the "ninja" as such never existed...that there was no secret clan of invincible assasins with spiritual powers.

If that is in fact the case, where did the style come from?

OP
S

ShadowKnight

Im no history expert but im pretty sure there where ninja. I doubt they where like how they are mostly portrayed in the movies though. I suppose you could compare them to our special forces like Navy Seals, British SAS and so on. They where just highly trained experts who didnt exist on any sort of paper trail.

They probably didnt wear any flashy black ninja outfit like so often show in cinema but just some worn dark clothing and possibly a mask to cover their identity.

As for the spiritual powers, thats just fiction. Running on walls, maybe a couple steps IF they are REALLY good. Ive seen videos of a french "Street Climber" who can do some really amazing acrobatic stuff. There are some videos of him jumping from a 2 story climbing wall, running on walls, jumping from roof to roof.

In short, ninjas most likely did exist but probably not in the sense that Americans basterdized them like so many other things.

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
Short version:
Yes

Medium Version:
Ignore verified frauds, storytellers and con artists like Ashida Kim, Frank Dux, Robert Bussey, Rick Tew and HaHa Lung. They are 'Hollywood' without any real historical tie-in.

Look at information by people like Stephen Hayes, Dr. Hatsumi, and Richard Van Donk for example, who have legitimate ties to a tradition dating back several centuries.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ShadowKnight said:
As for the spiritual powers, thats just fiction. Running on walls, maybe a couple steps IF they are REALLY good. Ive seen videos of a french "Street Climber" who can do some really amazing acrobatic stuff. There are some videos of him jumping from a 2 story climbing wall, running on walls, jumping from roof to roof.

In short, ninjas most likely did exist but probably not in the sense that Americans basterdized them like so many other things.

here is a thread based on that person i belive
http://martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17432&highlight=chan+spiderman+jackie

OP
J

jibran

Ninjutsu is not real. It is fradulent and spelled wrong. Ninjitsu, on the other hand, is an actual art with great masters like Frank Dux, Ashida Kim, and Rick Tew; it is also spelled correctly. :D :D

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
InvisibleFist said:
I've heard several authorites say that Ninjutsu is a made up style, based on 19th and twentieth century pop-cultural legends of the "ninja".

If it's not from one of the so-called "X-Kans", then it almost certainly is.

That the "ninja" as such never existed...that there was no secret clan of invincible assasins with spiritual powers.

Now that statement, going strictly on the precise wording you used, is true.

If that is in fact the case, where did the style come from?

Here are a couple of bits from one of Hatsumi sensei's books, translated into English by Michael Asuncion. Even though (or perhaps even because) they're from a "children's" book, I think they're particularly appropriate to what you're asking and they may shed some light on your question:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mza/UM_articles_content.html#7

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mza/UM_articles_content.html#8

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is as true as any martial art to come out of Japan or China. It can be traced and its headmasters can be traced (to a point). It may have changed over the years but what art hasn't.
Now finding a ligit teacher and not someone who just calls what he dose Ninjutsu is another matter.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bester said:
Short version:
Yes

Medium Version:
Ignore verified frauds, storytellers and con artists like Ashida Kim, Frank Dux, Robert Bussey, Rick Tew and HaHa Lung. They are 'Hollywood' without any real historical tie-in.

Look at information by people like Stephen Hayes, Dr. Hatsumi, and Richard Van Donk for example, who have legitimate ties to a tradition dating back several centuries.

jibran said:
Ninjutsu is not real. It is fradulent and spelled wrong. Ninjitsu, on the other hand, is an actual art with great masters like Frank Dux, Ashida Kim, and Rick Tew; it is also spelled correctly. :D :D

..Ok, so who do we believe here? Which of you two is telling the truth? It's very confusing to those who wish to know and to have their questions answered as accurately as possible. Will the real Ninjas please stand up?

Ninjutsu/Ninjitsu however it's spelled; IMO is a legitimate martial art but the HYPE that goes around them (via hollywood) is just pure :bs:

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jibran was attempting to be funny, I believe. Ninjitsu is the spelling used by Kim, Dux, and other frauds...

Jeff

Bester

Reaction score
jibran said:
:rofl: Remember, all you need to know about martial arts, you too can learn playing "Power Ranger" in your back yard like "Sensei" Screw-Yew-Tew and Soke-on-a-Rope Frank "Daffy" Dux.

As to Ashida....Shhhh...he may already be here...someone check the closet and see if he is ready to come out.

:rofl:

Poof-cough-gag-stumble
I pass out!
-thid-.

OP
J

jibran

MACaver said:
..Ok, so who do we believe here? Which of you two is telling the truth?
Bester is; I was being sarcastic (hence the smileys).

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
jibran said:
Originally Posted by MACaver
..Ok, so who do we believe here? Which of you two is telling the truth?
Bester is; I was being sarcastic (hence the smileys).
Well okay then... sheesh... :lol:

A while back I mentioned that I had a friend that was taking up Ninjutsu and he was telling me about how they're able to do this, do that and all that. No, I wasn't taken in by any of it. I knew that it was a legitimate martial art but the stuff of being able to make a weird hand sign and vanish only to re-appear behind your opponent and blending "through" (not with) a tree for camoflague... aww man plueeezzee His list went on and on. And, I was soooo privaledge because he "trusted" me not to be repeating this. :rolleyes: Makes me shake in my boots thinking that he might be reading this and will appear to me on one dark night for breaking the vow:ninja: .
About four or five months later we meet up again and I ask him how's his study going. He says that he's a black belt. He said that the art is different because they advance more rapidly based on personal skill and motivation to learn by studying hours and days of it. Again I bit my cheeks to keep from laughing in his face. After all he was "totally serious." He's a good friend man, you just don't dis on some b.s. that he's laying on you because he sincerely believes it.
Makes me wonder the guy he's learning from isn't chuckling to himself while enroute to the bank. :rolleyes:

It must be hard to find a serious instructor that will show the REAL stuff when you got all this hype tossed out by Hollywood and crap that's out there. Sigh.
Good luck to you guys that are studying the REAL art. :rolleyes:

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MACaver said:
A while back I mentioned that I had a friend that was taking up Ninjutsu and he was telling me about how they're able to do this, do that and all that. No, I wasn't taken in by any of it. I knew that it was a legitimate martial art but the stuff of being able to make a weird hand sign and vanish only to re-appear behind your opponent and blending "through" (not with) a tree for camoflague... aww man plueeezzee His list went on and on. And, I was soooo privaledge because he "trusted" me not to be repeating this. :rolleyes: Makes me shake in my boots thinking that he might be reading this and will appear to me on one dark night for breaking the vow:ninja: .
It amazes me that these frauds can attract students. It sounds like your friend was mixed up with one of the Ashida Kim types. They focus on the esoteric at the expense of getting on the tatami.

It must be hard to find a serious instructor that will show the REAL stuff when you got all this hype tossed out by Hollywood and crap that's out there. Sigh.
I know I was a bit skeptical when I found my first instructor. I'd read some of Hayes' stuff, and seen Kim's silly books, and my first thought when I read an ad in the local paper promising "authentic ninjutsu" was "Yeah, right!" Luckily, he turned out to be one of the good guys...

Jeff

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MACaver said:
Not hard at all... there are whole lists like the one at www.winjutsu.com , you just have to be willing to look and research so some film-flam man doesnt do a ninja-pickpocket routine on your wallet.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Not hard at all... there are whole lists like the one at www.winjutsu.com , you just have to be willing to look and research so some film-flam man doesnt do a ninja-pickpocket routine on your wallet.
Unfortunately, the frauds seem to target the younger crowd. Sure, you and I can point out how silly their lineage claims or techniques are, but a young person can be suckered in by the Hollywood aspect.

Jeff

OP
E

Elizium

One book I read in a bookstore was of Kim's "let us all be ninj3rz" type of book. It was making perfect sense until page 16 when he turned round and said to concentrate on the muscles on your ***. By keeping them clenched, you can live longer. I then got a PC and Internet connection and stole his book of a P2P downloader. :idunno:

But ninjas did not exist. The people did, the word did not. Try Shinobi instead. It is more fun to learn the history of Shinobi than ninja.

Bester

Reaction score
Hey, I played Shinobi at the arcades in the 80's.

Oh wait, you mean a different Shinobi. Sorry. :ninja:

OP
E

Elizium

Bester said:
Hey, I played Shinobi at the arcades in the 80's.

Oh wait, you mean a different Shinobi. Sorry. :ninja:
That's the one.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MOD NOTE

The Same Post is Posted Multiple times in all 3 Forums of Ninjutsu. I am removing all but the first post. Please be aware that this type of cross-posting is against the rules of the Forum.

-TECHNOPUNK
-MT MODERATOR

Bester

Reaction score
Actually, I did see in the rules that upto 3 cross posts were allowed for posts that fit.

Of course, Mr. Tews "Marital Science" system has nothing to do with the forus of this forum (Traditional Ninjutsu) as Mr. Tew and his followers have stated repeatedly that what they do is NOT a traditional system. In fact, by posting here as he did, it was little more than SPAM, which clearly indicates his "Quality".

The following threads in the Horror Stories forum (where the frauds are) will clearly define Mr. Tew and his "System" as well as indicate what type of "person" follows him.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19028
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19505
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19191

Perhaps since he has finally decided to grace us with his experience, he will visit those threads and answer the questions that his customers, err, I'm sorry, his "students" could not?

Otherwise, please "Morph" somewhere else. :rofl:

Thank you TechnoPunk for "taking out the Trash". :asian:

Latest Discussions