Buddhist theory of ninja origin

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
I think at this point, Mr Calkins understands that I live in Japan. The problem seems to be that he complains about how people are talking about him lying about his past training history and saying that they are rude attacks on him. But when he accused me of lying about living in Japan, he feels that it is not a rude attack.
I cant find the post where he had said that you were lying about being in Japan. If he had, and you are, an apology is due as openly as the insult.

Edit and Note; Bruce, please refrain from returned attacks and accusations of insult to others here. If others do such to you first, then respond in polite decorum. In other words, I commend you for some things, please do not make my opinion of you fall short. You should be better than that. Understand?

OP
BruceCalkins

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Very True and Thank you MartialMan.. I never ment to insult. I truly was confused by the type that he ad posted.... To me the quote sounded like he was saying that he didn't live in Japan that he ws making it all up... I posted his words... Him living in japan an training there with some of the great masters in a long time dream for all martial artist icluding myself... Someday... I am just very proud of what I have learned and the training I have recieved... He just wants to take every opertunity and statement and bend it to make it look wrong.. Someone can change fact into opinion and make anyone sound wrong... for hiim to say I am Lieing about my training and history is nor fair.. He doesn't know anything about me and is not interested in learning. I have never posted a lie or fake statement on this forum and I will never. This I promise.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
SokeCalkins said:
Very True and Thank you MartialMan.. I never ment to insult. I truly was confused by the type that he ad posted.... To me the quote sounded like he was saying that he didn't live in Japan that he ws making it all up... I posted his words... Him living in japan an training there with some of the great masters in a long time dream for all martial artist icluding myself... Someday... I am just very proud of what I have learned and the training I have recieved... He just wants to take every opertunity and statement and bend it to make it look wrong.. Someone can change fact into opinion and make anyone sound wrong... for hiim to say I am Lieing about my training and history is nor fair.. He doesn't know anything about me and is not interested in learning. I have never posted a lie or fake statement on this forum and I will never. This I promise.
I think he is trying to help or understand you. IMHO, he is a lot nicer than a few others here. You still may owe him an apology for mis-understanding him in liu of he actually calling you a liar, exact word. Did he use such word? And that you understand that he is in Japan.

If you nevered meant to insult, you should direct this to him.

Peace
Richard

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
I cant find the post where he had said that you were lying about being in Japan. If he had, and you are, an apology is due as openly as the insult.

Post number 23 in this thread. Here is what it said.

This come from the man who types during the day in EST when it would be very late in Japen where he claims to be from... Training in the heart of Ninjitsu. Also a littel quote from one of his own posts..

"I can't warn you all too strongly about Don Roley. This man will go to any lenghts and do what ever it takes, including perpetration of the most massive fraud to trick people into thinking he actually lives in Japan"

These are his words typed today on a different post. and he is questioning my respect and attitude. I never claimed to be anything but what I am. Not a Student Livine in Japan training with a great master... So where in the Eastern Seaboard do you live???

I would think that if he says that I claim be from Japan as he does at the begging of his post and then ends it with his last two sentances that anyone could clearly see that it was an attack. Why do you feel differently?

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
I would think that if he says that I claim be from Japan as he does at the begging of his post and then ends it with his last two sentances that anyone could clearly see that it was an attack. Why do you feel differently?
Are you directing the latter question to me?

My post;

If he had said or implicated that you were lying, (post-If he had) about living in Japan (post-and you are) then Bruce owes you an apology (post-an apology is due as openly as the insult.)

Do you understand Don?

Also, I can't seem to find a post were you directly attack him as calling him a liar-did you?

OP
BruceCalkins

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
I think he is trying to help or understand you. IMHO, he is a lot nicer than a few others here. You still may owe him an apology for mis-understanding him in liu of he actually calling you a liar, exact word. Did he use such word? And that you understand that he is in Japan.

If you nevered meant to insult, you should direct this to him.

Peace
Richard
Mr. Roley’s quotes:

1) "I think at this point, Mr Calkins understands that I live in Japan. The problem seems to be that he complains about how people are talking about him lying about his past training history."

1. "I can't warn you all too strongly about Don Roley. This man will go to any lenghts and do what ever it takes, including perpetration of the most massive fraud to trick people into thinking he actually lives in Japan"
My replies…

1. Yes MartialMan he did out right call me a liar. Which I am not… My training is real and I have not made anything up. I swear on my Life. I’m telling the whole truth.
2) as for his post… I Believed him when he said that he was not from Japan… I was mistaken and for this I am sorry. I give a formal apology to Mr. Roley as I truly believe him when he states that he is posting and living in the great Pearl of the Orient.. I just wish I could visit again.. What I remember though fast paced.. was beautiful.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SokeCalkins said:
I Believed him when he said that he was not from Japan…

Mr Calkins, you are not making sense.

In post #23 you started with the statement..

This come from the man who types during the day in EST when it would be very late in Japen where he claims to be from...

So, you said I claim to be from Japan, and now you say I was saying that I was not from Japan.

Does this seem like a contridiction?

And you may want to take the time to see that I was not calling you a liar. I was refering to all the people who are calling you a liar.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bruce (I am trying to refrain from calling you Mr Calkins. Mr, like Soke are too formal) ,

If Don, insulted you, in any form, or for that matter, anyone else, it may be in your best interest to remain passive. Do not become one to respond in any form to warrant an attack, nor give one. Become better or remain focused.

However, your training has truths, some of what other info you have is questionable and controversial.

For example, the Eagle Federation would not give me Sokeship or certification, because I would not have such desire to seek this. Being a member or receiving a title/rank from this organization, or any like it, will not grant me better ability. Seeing that such title/rank is questionable and controversial, I will not want this type of recognition.

Also, whatever ranks you have from whatever actual training instructors, if these ranks are low, so be it. You need not have to use title/higher rank, to set presidence on who you are or your ability.

Because you are a founder of a system, doesn't mean to have yourself recieve/obtain, title and high rank from other organizations. Nor does it mean to use terminology out of context.

IMHO, you should have not sought such title/high rank, and left well enough alone. You should just call your self- Bruce Calkins, founder of........

And last, this is my way of trying to help you.

Peace
Richard

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SokeCalkins said:
He just wants to take every opertunity and statement and bend it to make it look wrong..

Bruce,
You seem to be under the impression that correcting your mistakes is some sort of attack. By responding and pointing out the flaws in what you wrote whenever you do so, I am trying to help you come to an understanding of the subject matter you do not presently have. I am also trying to prevent the many mistaken impressions you are parroting from becoming even more widely believed.

OP
BruceCalkins

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Bruce (I am trying to refrain from calling you Mr Calkins. Mr, like Soke are too formal) ,

If Don, insulted you, in any form, or for that matter, anyone else, it may be in your best interest to remain passive. Do not become one to respond in any form to warrant an attack, nor give one. Become better or remain focused.
His Insults go unnoticed... If I make a wrong comment it is bad... I did say I was soory for the Not believein he was from Japan.. But His Post said it and I believed him... Now he has said that that was a Joke... and I believe him that he in and always has been in Japan...

However, your training has truths, some of what other info you have is questionable and controversial.

Everything in life does.. I can't explain it all but It is the truth.. even the part of my training in a Camp... I never knew they used the same name in a Movie I really have never seen it. But the time shows that my training there was before thet.. I know that I can put different dates but I didn't I promise you that.

For example, the Eagle Federation would not give me Sokeship or certification, because I would not have such desire to seek this. Being a member or receiving a title/rank from this organization, or any like it, will not grant me better ability. Seeing that such title/rank is questionable and controversial, I will not want this type of recognition.

In the area where I live there are several very nasty Martial Artist and everything has to be Listed somewhere with someone... and One of my instructors told me it would be a good idea to be part of an affiliation or orginazation... Most were Way to expencive for my pocket... And the ones that were not seemed to fake... I spoke to several other members of the WCMAA and they said that Eagle Fed.. Will look into your background and check out the basis of your new system to see if it seems lagit. Not just give you recognition.. And that is what Iwas looking for. The Liniage of a new style starts with me and I wanted a federation to root it. Then I would make it grow from there. Title was awarded.. and I have heard many other American Martial Artist over the years use the title Soke as System Founders.. So I accepted it for myself. and I am proud of it.. I make me remember that I worked hard and this system is from my sweat.

Also, whatever ranks you have from whatever actual training instructors, if these ranks are low, so be it. You need not have to use title/higher rank, to set presidence on who you are or your ability.

I don't that is why when I go to different schools to teach or train I only wear a solid Black Belt.. Nothing fancy and they call me Mr. Bruce.. or Sir.. Only

Because you are a founder of a system, doesn't mean to have yourself recieve/obtain, title and high rank from other organizations. Nor does it mean to use terminology out of context.

As I had posted the only reason I took the 10th degree is so I could oneday train someong to my styles upper ranks. I have never hidden the fact that this was a rank that came with the system and the Highest rank I had before was 7th.

IMHO, you should have not sought such title/high rank, and left well enough alone. You should just call your self- Bruce Calkins, founder of........

And last, this is my way of trying to help you.

Thanks

Peace
Richard

OP
BruceCalkins

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you have any other corrections I would be glad to hear them...

NINJA TERMS

1.) SHINOBI-IRI = ART OF ESCAPING AND HIDING
2.) TEKAGI = USE OF NINJA CLAWS
3.) IGA = NINJA TRAINING CAMP
4.) ONSHIN-JUTSU = ART OF INVISIBILITY
5.) JONIN = TOP TEACHER (NOT MASTER)
6.) KAGINAWA =SMALL GRAPPLING HOOK & SMALL ROPE
7.) OBI = BELT OR SASH
8.) SHOZOKU = NINJA GI
9.) TONKI = NINJA TOYS (nuisance weapons)
10.) KAI-KI = SMALL MULTIUSED WEAPONS
11.) TETSU-BISHI = SPIKE MINES (caltrops)
12.) HOJO-JUTSU = ART OF IMMOBILIZING WITH ROPE
13.) METSU-BISHI = SIGHT REMOVERS
14.) KI = LIFE FORCE
15.) KUNOICHI = FEMALE NINJA
16.) CHIGI-RIKI = SHORT 3' STAFF WITH 3*4 ' CHAIN
17.) SAMURAI = JAPANESE WARRIOR OR GUARD
18.) SUI-REN = WATER NINJA TECHNIQUES
19.) NINJATO = COMONLY KNOWN NAME FOR A NINJA'S SWORD OR BLADE
20.) TABI = NINJA SHOES
21.) DOTON-JITSU = ART OF CAMOUFLAGE
22.) FUKIYA = WOODEN NEEDLES or DARTS
23.) TSUNGATA = COUNTRYMEN (farmer type)
24.) YOKO-ARUKI = ART OF SIDEWAYS WALKING
25.) HENSO-JUTSU = ART OF DECOY & DISGUISE
26.) ITAKEN = FLAT BAR**1 POINT SHURIKEN

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SokeCalkins said:
If you have any other corrections I would be glad to hear them...

Where to begin???

Seriously Bruce, if you want some of us to correct all the mistaken impressions you have you should show the proper attitude and stop with the mean spirited attacks. If you admited that you were wrong about things from time to time and tried to meet us with proving your claims you might recieve better treatment.

At this point, I have a duty to prevent bad information from becoming accepted more widely. Helping you to understand ninjutsu is a courtasy I extend to you as long as you show proper attitude and respect. It is enough to say that you are largely incorrect to fufill my duty.

The mere fact that you did not find the time to insert a "please" into the above quote is proof that you do not have the proper outlook for one in your position yet. And it is too late to add it now. Manners are the first step in the path of martial arts and you should perhaps meditate on your attitude and the troubles you have caused with your mean- spirited attacks on this forum before demanding others help you to discard all your mistaken notions.

OP
BruceCalkins

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is Only A Joke....... Not to be thought of as real ! ! !

NINJA ETIQUETTE
  • Ninja never bring a gun to a sword fight. Ninja don't use guns. Ever.
  • The only way to end a ninja clan is to break the head ninja's sword.
  • Ninja never show their real face. If the need to show a face arises, it should be a very shiny mask. This is the only possible substitute.
  • Bullets can't kill a ninja. Even 1 million bullets can not kill a ninja. (See the training video "Ninja 3: The Domination" for demonstration!)
  • When attacking a single ninja with a clan of ninja (more than 4, less than that is only a posse), it is proper ninja etiquette to fight with only one ninja at a time. This makes for a much nicer fight to the death.

NOTE: if you are planning to fight the mack daddy ninja, be sure to bring lots of lesser ninja to warm him up for your grand entrance.
  • When fighting with bow and arrows, a proper ninja will always destroy his bow if one of his arrows is cought in mid-air, and then broken over one knee of another ninja.
  • Ninja stars and sake are a perfectly good currency for ninja payments.
  • Ninja always use 4 pointed ninja stars. The fancy stars with more than for points are for the lesser ninja.
  • Ninja can only use their special dissapearing powers in combination with a smoke bomb. This is not negociable.
  • When training with other ninja, it is proper to group off into different colors. Stay with your color at all times! Failure to keep with your color results in a circle kicking, where you are in the center of the circle.
  • Ninja always wear tabi boots. Even when they sleep.
  • When confronting other ninja, always try to wear a different color than that of the ninja you are attacking. It is proper ninja-ettiquette to give "home" color to the defending ninja.
  • Ninja don't sleep. I know I said they do above, but I lied.
  • It's expected that ninja will lie from time to time.
  • When encountering large falls and leaps it is appropriate to always give the right-of-way to the first ninja to jump.
  • With that said it is equally appropriate to give the needed time and space for the following ninja to jump and catch up.

Ninja never wear headbands with the word 'ninja' printed on them. This would be a dead give away when trying to blend in. NOTE: Sometimes as a joke the elder ninja make the geek of the clan wear such a headband. Sort of like a "dunce" cap.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Bruce,
You seem to be under the impression that correcting your mistakes is some sort of attack. By responding and pointing out the flaws in what you wrote whenever you do so, I am trying to help you come to an understanding of the subject matter you do not presently have. I am also trying to prevent the many mistaken impressions you are parroting from becoming even more widely believed.
I have to agree.

Bruce...please read and understand this...please.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
A.) If you admited that you were wrong about things from time to time and tried to meet us with proving your claims you might recieve better treatment.

B.) At this point, I have a duty to prevent bad information from becoming accepted more widely. Helping you to understand ninjutsu is a courtasy I extend to you as long as you show proper attitude and respect. It is enough to say that you are largely incorrect to fufill my duty.

C.) The mere fact that you did not find the time to insert a "please" into the above quote is proof that you do not have the proper outlook for one in your position yet. And it is too late to add it now. Manners are the first step in the path of martial arts and you should perhaps meditate on your attitude and the troubles you have caused with your mean- spirited attacks on this forum before demanding others help you to discard all your mistaken notions.
A.) Yes, we all have wrongs/mistakes. However, I do not require proof. I realize that he has been misled in certain issues and understand why. I have enough to go on to not warrant proof in order to do this.

B.) Yes. You have a grand duty and patience. You can lead a horse to water, but you cant make him drink. Especially if the horse doesnt know the difference from freshwater and sea water

C.) Well, I didnt take or find the lacking of the word, please, insulting. It sounded like he looked forward to hear correctons. The word "glad" seemed to warrant sincerity.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Be careful of where you get your definitions.

Stephen Hayes has indicated that some of his earlier books had some errors. I'm not sure if those errors were corrected in later editions.

Anything by Ashida Kim or HaHa Lung is suspect. Both are not considered to be very accurate sources for anything...Frank Dux, Robert Bussey and Rick Tew are also in the same "take it with a grain of salt" camp.

If it's from one of the X-kans, I'd count it as reliable.

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wow.

Really, that much confusion?

Reading comprehension is important, ne?

Anyhoo, just to address a little pet-peeve of mine, SokeCalkins: If you are going to copy and paste things from another web-site, at least provide a link to the site. This not only shares your sources, so we can see them ourselves, but it also gives credit to the author - not doing so is plagiarism.

For example, I think the "Ninja Etiquette" article is from entertheninja.com, but I can't remember for sure. Where did you find that (terribly innacurate) list of 'Ninja Terms'?

Ok, with that out of the way, I'll go ahead and play with this one.

NINJA TERMS

1.) SHINOBI-IRI = ART OF ESCAPING AND HIDING

No, "iri" means entering.
escaping and hiding is "tongyo" or "tonpou"​

2.) TEKAGI = USE OF NINJA CLAWS

Not necessarily ninja claws, "te" = hand, "kagi" = hook. Also called "shuko"​

3.) IGA = NINJA TRAINING CAMP

No, Iga-shu is a region of Japan.​

5.) JONIN = TOP TEACHER (NOT MASTER)

"jonin," "chunin," "genin" have nothing to do with teaching.​
Jonin means leader - specifically a ninja leader.​

6.) KAGINAWA =SMALL GRAPPLING HOOK & SMALL ROPE

I don't know why it has to be small, but ok.​
"kagi" = hook, "nawa" = rope.​

8.) SHOZOKU = NINJA GI

Without the word, "shinobi" before it, "shozoku" just means 'costume' or 'personal appearance, and is not a reference to a training uniform, "keiko-gi"​

9.) TONKI = NINJA TOYS (nuisance weapons)

A part of "tonpo" (ninja art of escape), tonki are implements/tools to aid in that practice - not necessarily weapons, and not necessarily for nuisance.​

13.) METSU-BISHI = SIGHT REMOVERS

it's metsubushi

18.) SUI-REN = WATER NINJA TECHNIQUES

suiren = water training / swimming practice​

20.) TABI = NINJA SHOES

tabi are not ninja shoes​
tabi are split-toe socks​

21.) DOTON-JITSU = ART OF CAMOUFLAGE

part of the gotonpo, dotonjutsu is the art of hiding in the earth​

22.) FUKIYA = WOODEN NEEDLES or DARTS

specifically for blowguns, and not necessarily wooden​

23.) TSUNGATA = COUNTRYMEN (farmer type)

?​

10.) KAI-KI = SMALL MULTIUSED WEAPONS
16.) CHIGI-RIKI = SHORT 3' STAFF WITH 3*4 ' CHAIN

Never heard of these, don't know if they are correct or not.

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm a little late to this party, but if anyone cares where Don Roley lives, I can state with certainty and from personal experience that he does, indeed, live in Japan.