Is it legal to knock someone out with a capoeira kick in WT Taekwondo?

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My hunch feeling says yes. And by capoeira kick I mean one of those grade mark with hands on the ground wheel kickS

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think hand on the ground would be considered "falling", which is penalized.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My hunch feeling says yes. And by capoeira kick I mean one of those grade mark with hands on the ground wheel kickS
I’m not sure what you mean by “grade mark”. And by “wheel kick” I am interpreting your meaning to be a circular motion, striking with the back of the heel.

The kick that it seems to me you are describing is called “meia lua de compasso”.

Many kicks in capoeira are done with the hands on the floor. The capoeirista is not falling while doing these. He/she is merely using the floor as a bracing platform with the hands. How this would translate into the rule set of a WT TKD tournament, I have no idea.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Every time I throw a spinning heel kick close range my palm touches the floor.
Never had an official protest or seen one raise issue.
I come from a WTF competition background though.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting. Back in my competition days that would have been considered off balance and would not have scored. Akin to the 'falling away' kick. They work/worked very well. So well the rules were changed because of them.
So you are saying a hand on the floor during a kick is allowed now?

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Interesting. Back in my competition days that would have been considered off balance and would not have scored. Akin to the 'falling away' kick. They work/worked very well. So well the rules were changed because of them.
So you are saying a hand on the floor during a kick is allowed now?
I have no idea what the rules are now.
I don't think it was technically legal back when I did it haha but no one complained.

Its not very noticeable since it happens quick and not really of balance at all. My head drops down as quickly I can and my hand grips the floor somewhere just in front of my toes and I spin myself around to get up immediately. I could just add easily grab my foot but my habit is the floor lol

My friend dislocated his shoulder practicing while I was sharing this one with him. I hadn't thought to caution him about something like that but I know now lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I set that up by throwing a hammer fist at their thigh first.

Latest Discussions