Is it important to prepare for the martial arts?

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you are not in shape and want to take up martial arts, is it good idea to at work out a couple of weeks to get your cardio up, lose
a couple a couple and have better flexibility before starting your class or just jump in?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you are not in shape and want to take up martial arts, is it good idea to at work out a couple of weeks to get your cardio up, lose
a couple a couple and have better flexibility before starting your class or just jump in?
I had people who came to my class and told me that this was exactly what he was looking for. 1 week later, he would tell me that his body was not in good enough shape to train. He will come back when his body is in better shape. I have never seen him since then.

OP
K

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I had people who came to my class and told me that this was exactly what he was looking for. 1 week later, he would tell me that his body was not in good enough shape to train. He will come back when his body is in better shape. I have never seen him since then.

Maybe he is still working on getting in better shape? :)

There are people who catch quicker in martial arts because they are in shape. There is an advantage of being in shape.
But you are going to lose weight, you are going to get more flexible and your cardio is going go up if you are always training in martial arts. Might as well jump in.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would say yes to both.

Training is easier and more effective if you are fit.

But less effective if you don't turn up.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too many people wait until "they're ready" for lots of things. "I'll start martial arts when I'm in shape." "I'll join a gym when I lose 10 pounds so that I don't feel self conscious."

Encourage them to start. They'll get in shape for your classes as they learn and train.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes to both. If you're going to train in a MA, then go train in it. Your conditioning will improve. There's certainly no reason to delay starting class.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just go for it. You might have a harder time at first, but do what you can and your fitness will get better. I've got one student that was pretty obese when he started, and he's lost a good 50 lbs. He's not skinny, but he's probably moved from obese to just overweight, and definitely has better cardio and flexibility.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is just one little preparation. Don't show up drunk. I say this because my cousin kept trying it, and he couldn't figure out why I stopped showing up to take him. :)

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just go for it. While getting in shape is a by product (in theory) of training it is not a pre-requisite to start. Like anything worth while it takes time.

Enjoy the Journey.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jump in. I was in terrible shape when I took my first martial arts class.

OK, I wasn't in shape. In fact, my physical abilities were awful. But training linked me with instructors. Real instructors. Rather than just dismissing it as "just do it", they showed me how I can get in better shape. Oh, I can't do standard push ups? Start by doing them from the knees, then work towards doing standard pushups. Just surviving a class was a workout, then once I could do that I was motivated to reach for bigger and better things.

I'm now hiking the highest peaks in the Northeastern United States, with the goal of reaching the 48 highest before I turn 48. Jumping in is good :)

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

Doing martial arts will get you in shape.

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just jump in or 'trying to get in shape before I start' will always be the excuse/reason why you never start.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I realised the other night that being competitive can actually have a massive effect on the mind. I managed to do 17 press ups at JKD rather than the usual 10 at Box-Fit. Jumping in there despite being very embarrassed about my lack of fitness, has given loads of confidence. I don't just feel like the fat bloke in the corner sweating like a Pig.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I realised the other night that being competitive can actually have a massive effect on the mind. I managed to do 17 press ups at JKD rather than the usual 10 at Box-Fit. Jumping in there despite being very embarrassed about my lack of fitness, has given loads of confidence. I don't just feel like the fat bloke in the corner sweating like a Pig.

The motivation of the group. :)

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score

Depends on your personality. I went to a kung fu school that had a lot of high kicks, and everyone there was already flexible. I took my time...didn't push myself...and eventually became one of the most flexible students there. I didn't quit and come back when I was flexible enough. Then again, I know not everyone thinks that way. That is why a lot of people I know don't go to the gym: they are intimidated to be around all the people there who are already fit. (Well, that is the excuse they use anyway. LOL)

As long as you don't get intimidated by everyone around you already having flexibility and better cardio, just go and get started!

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I say just jump in, the training alone should get you into better shape. I work out on a fairly regular basis with both weights and cardio, but the training in the dojo/dojang is something different. It hits different muscles and taxes you cardio wise that you don't normally get from other workouts.

Latest Discussions