martial arts fitness goal and objectives

OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And now you're making generalizations about the "type of exercises done at a tma class" - so all TMA instructors use the same types of exercise, in your world view? See, I know many who actually stay informed on fitness, stretching - and some even are well informed on dietary issues. Some have degrees, certifications, and other training in some of those areas - do you assume they actually throw away all that knowledge when they are teaching?
you were given a change to make your case for tma exercise and refused to do so

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you were given a change to make your case for tma exercise and refused to do so
I do not represent TMA. You're kind of making my point for me, here. What I do is different from what my instructor does, different from the last two TMA dojos I visited. Heck, I can only think of two dojos in the last dozen I've been in that did any of the same exercises as each other.

OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do not represent TMA. You're kind of making my point for me, here. What I do is different from what my instructor does, different from the last two TMA dojos I visited. Heck, I can only think of two dojos in the last dozen I've been in that did any of the same exercises as each other.
if you can't make a case for your own dojo, then you certainly can't make a case for tma in general having good fitness standards.
I'm not sure why you keep posting you won't discuss fitness goals and objectives for martial arts, but you seem to be stalking me round the board?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you can't make a case for your own dojo, then you certainly can't make a case for tma in general having good fitness standards.
I'm not sure why you keep posting you won't discuss fitness goals and objectives for martial arts, but you seem to be stalking me round the board?
I have no need to make a case. You seem to feel entitled to question how I do things. You are not. I'm happy to answer questions put forth politely with the intention to inform or understand. Yours do not appear to be such, and you immediately go into attack mode if you don't get the responses you want (and often, even if you do). I offered some information, and you took it upon yourself to implement some sort of inquisition. You aren't my boss, my student, my mentor, nor a regulatory body. You're not even well-informed. Why on Earth would I bother to try to educate someone with your attitude?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, show where I "keep posting" that I won't discuss that. And as for "stalking", perhaps look at what I respond to. You post, and if it is of interest to me, I respond. I respond to a lot around here that has nothing to do with you.

OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have no need to make a case. You seem to feel entitled to question how I do things. You are not. I'm happy to answer questions put forth politely with the intention to inform or understand. Yours do not appear to be such, and you immediately go into attack mode if you don't get the responses you want (and often, even if you do). I offered some information, and you took it upon yourself to implement some sort of inquisition. You aren't my boss, my student, my mentor, nor a regulatory body. You're not even well-informed. Why on Earth would I bother to try to educate someone with your attitude?
its,a discussion board, the object is to Discuss things. You just want to make a series a rhetorical statements and then get all arsy if you are asked to back them up with some sort of objective logic.
if you don't want to discuss the things I'm posting then please ignore me, at the moment its just,Adhom attacks that you are coming up with

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its,a discussion board, the object is to Discuss things. You just want to make a series a rhetorical statements and then get all arsy if you are asked to back them up with some sort of objective logic.
if you don't want to discuss the things I'm posting then please ignore me, at the moment its just,Adhom attacks that you are coming up with
No, I discuss things. You come in with ill-understood statements, then attack people who point out your errors. Then you ask questions not in a manner intended to discuss, but by first making blanket statements, hoping to drive people to defensiveness. I've provided logic, and you responded by saying my training wasn't good for fitness. I provided an example of people who remain on a plateau, and you responded with non sequitur statements, talking about what wasn't being developed (which had nothing to do with my statement, since I never claimed those people were getting total body fitness).

I think this has gone on long enough. Nobody is learning anything, and it probably isn't even entertaining to anyone who wanders in. You may do as you like with the remainder of the thread. Make what assumptions you will - my statements never had the power to change your conclusions, anyway.

OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, I discuss things. You come in with ill-understood statements, then attack people who point out your errors. Then you ask questions not in a manner intended to discuss, but by first making blanket statements, hoping to drive people to defensiveness. I've provided logic, and you responded by saying my training wasn't good for fitness. I provided an example of people who remain on a plateau, and you responded with non sequitur statements, talking about what wasn't being developed (which had nothing to do with my statement, since I never claimed those people were getting total body fitness).

I think this has gone on long enough. Nobody is learning anything, and it probably isn't even entertaining to anyone who wanders in. You may do as you like with the remainder of the thread. Make what assumptions you will - my statements never had the power to change your conclusions, anyway.
right you are now projecting your issues on to me
as a result im going to ignore your ad hom attacks, not by use of the ignore button, as I have will power, until you start to conduct yourself in a mature and rational way

Last edited:

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
work harding doesnt generaly result in weight loss, have you seen how many any fat plumbers there are

seriously though, you are unlikely to get fit or thin from the type of exercises done at a tma class, no matter how hard you work and given how fat some of the instructors are ,I'm not sure I'd take their advice on diet
Nice to approach things with your mind already made up, isn't it?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
it seems logical that people who are committed to tma are also committed to ancient training methods' and beliefs and so can't really be expected to realise that the world of,sports has moved on in the last hundred years ...
MA goal is to develop some "door guarding MA skills".

Modern is not always better than ancient. My question is, how will you use the modern method to enhance "2 arms twisting" power development?

MA technique that you try to "develop":

- Grab your opponent's shoulders or upper arms.
- Use your stealing step footwork to twist your opponent down to the ground.

MA tool that you use to "enhance" this technique:

In modern gym, the best that I can find is this. But it doesn't turn 360 degree and I can't train footwork with it.

rotate_machine.jpg

Last edited:
OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
MA goal is to develop some "door guarding MA skills".

Modern is not always better than ancient. My question is, how will you use the modern method to enhance "2 arms twisting" power development?

MA technique that you try to "develop":

- Grab your opponent's shoulders or upper arms.
- Use your stealing step footwork to twist your opponent down to the ground.

MA tool that you use to "enhance" this technique:

In modern gym, the best that I can find is this. But it doesn't turn 360 degree and I can't train footwork with it.

rotate_machine.jpg
your mis understanding my point, I'm a great fan of kettle bells, which are as old as the cannon ball.

its not so much the equipment, I also like,body weight training which is no equipment and,again very old.

its the methodology of training, a modern programe would take your gon training, periodise it against other training, work out the best progression's, and the most efficient frequency volume and intensity. Perhaps throw in some neural training and diet And then get far better performance out of the athletes as a result.

let's take a simple sport like the shot put, the standard keeps increasing, as the training methods' improve, whilst the basic exercise of throwing a cannon ball stays the same.

so my suggestion was to use sport science to develop the students, rather than just traditional methods' which are a 100 years behind how other sports train

I went to the local boxing gym, nothing very flash, just a lads club and the effort put into fitness was a real eye opener, most of these lads would make mince meat out of most traditional MAer. Not because they were very good, not because boxing is better than karate. Just the,sheer fitness and that's down to how their instructor trains them

Last edited:

Latest Discussions