Fighting with a bulging disc?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How you read that into what I said I have no idea,

This:
I think your last sentence hit the nail on the head; (once I'm in great shape, flexible, strong core, great cardio/endurance,etc.)
So you understand this Has to come first.

You blatantly outright said it. You said that being in great shape, flexible, having a strong core, great cardio/endurance, etc. "hit the nail on the head." That means it is exactly correct.

While I agree with what everyone else has said that the injury needs to be taken care of first, there are things on that list that don't pertain to the back injury. There's also a high standard of fitness set with "great shape, great cardio/endurance." You literally said that has to come first. Not even "should come first" but "has to come first."

but you are consistently... you.

Are you already sick of me again?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This:

You blatantly outright said it. You said that being in great shape, flexible, having a strong core, great cardio/endurance, etc. "hit the nail on the head." That means it is exactly correct.

While I agree with what everyone else has said that the injury needs to be taken care of first, there are things on that list that don't pertain to the back injury. There's also a high standard of fitness set with "great shape, great cardio/endurance." You literally said that has to come first. Not even "should come first" but "has to come first."

Are you already sick of me again?
Getting there; you are doing an excellent job. I can make 2020 before I block you though.

I directly quoted the OP; I read in to it differently, hopefully deeper. That you cannot do that is of no surprise.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Getting there; you are doing an excellent job. I can make 2020 before I block you though.

I directly quoted the OP; I read in to it differently, hopefully deeper. That you cannot do that is of no surprise.

When you make it personal like this, it's hard to take you seriously. Both in this thread (because you look like you're just reacting emotionally instead of actually thinking about anything), and in the threads where you've said "I miss skribs." I'm starting to think you just missed a punching bag.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I make an apology to everyone. Petty pissing contests is not what this forum is about. Some of us have to be more mindful of our comments.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I make an apology to everyone. Petty pissing contests is not what this forum is about. Some of us have to be more mindful of our comments.

To be honest, I don't think you have anything to apologise for.

While it's possible to be offensive, actual offence is something that is taken, not given - hence the phrase "to take offence".

You've directed comments at me that I could certainly have taken offence at, but what would the point have been? It would have only served to annoy me - far better to bounce it back and forth, all the while agreeing about other subjects.

Everyone can find something to disagree about with everyone else - but focussing purely on that is counterproductive.

Likewise, being too 'mindful' with what you say just in case someone takes offence is dishonest. The whole idea of "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing" is something I fundamentally disagree with.

Considering skribs had a flounce over a perceived breach of forum netiquette being the last straw (which, as someone who has started forums that are still running after over a decade I can say wasn't a breach at all - the op commenting on a thread that's been dormant for 6-12 months isn't necroposting - bringing back a thread from 5 years ago when all the participants have left the forum is) and how this forum isn't "safe space" enough he's putting an awful lot of effort into being confrontational, argumentative and borderline abusive.

If I was more snowflakey I would have reported a few of his replies to me or been overtly abusive in response...

But again, what would be the point?

At least this new persona is a bit less whiny. Sort of. A bit.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
@hugh jameson

Back to the topic...Have you thought about looking for a PT with a martial arts background?

That maybe could help better guide you in what to avoid in training.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

While it's possible to be offensive, actual offence is something that is taken, not given - hence the phrase "to take offence".

You've directed comments at me that I could certainly have taken offence at, but what would the point have been? It would have only served to annoy me - far better to bounce it back and forth, all the while agreeing about other subjects.

Everyone can find something to disagree about with everyone else - but focussing purely on that is counterproductive.

Likewise, being too 'mindful' with what you say just in case someone takes offence is dishonest. The whole idea of "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing" is something I fundamentally disagree with.

Considering skribs had a flounce over a perceived breach of forum netiquette being the last straw (which, as someone who has started forums that are still running after over a decade I can say wasn't a breach at all - the op commenting on a thread that's been dormant for 6-12 months isn't necroposting - bringing back a thread from 5 years ago when all the participants have left the forum is) and how this forum isn't "safe space" enough he's putting an awful lot of effort into being confrontational, argumentative and borderline abusive.

If I was more snowflakey I would have reported a few of his replies to me or been overtly abusive in response...

Thank you.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I think it's funny how you call me the abusive one when you go on a several paragraph off-topic rant about me. Shall I get you a mirror?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it's funny how you call me the abusive one when you go on a several paragraph off-topic rant about me. Shall I get you a mirror?
i think its funny that two of the most likely people to take offence are locked in a death fight about who is most offended

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
i think its funny that two of the most likely people to take offence are locked in a death fight about who is most offended

You're offended and so's your face :p

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would far more trust people on here who have bulging/herniated discs and who also fight.
My brother had this and he had to get surgery. I've had it and I usually screw my back up lift stuff like boxes. I don't do this anymore because my gut creates bad structure for my spine.

My thoughts is that I would listen to PT. They may not know much about fighting and martial arts but they know about your back and they know what type of actions will most likely injure you again. My suggestion to you is to heal first train / fight later. If you really want to fight that bad then you need to first focus on healing your back and fix any body issues that may be cause you to injure back more than a normal person. After you get that stuff handle, then I would really work on building the strongest core that you can you so your spine isn't supporting all of the weight and movement.

Only after those things are fixed would I consider fighting. You can train and spar but not at a high intensity level where it's almost like fighting. Sparring should light. I definitely wouldn't be trying to lift anyone who is struggling to prevent from being lifted. That's worse on your back than just lifting weights.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bolded a couple extra words for you. He says "I've always wanted to fight", which makes it sound like he hasn't been in a fight yet. He doesn't mention any martial art he's trained, or how the back injury affected his training. It sounds like he hasn't even started training martial arts.

If you look at his last sentence, it makes it clear that "in good shape for fighting" doesn't mean martial arts training. It means cardio, flexibility, core and strength work.

I didn't take much time reading between the lines. I read "I've always wanted to fight" and "I'm working out" and "what martial art should I take?" and came to that conclusion.

Yes, he used the word "fight" instead of "take martial arts class." But I used a spritz of brain power and concluded based on everything else that he said, that he's wondering what martial art to train. Just like when people walk into my Taekwondo dojang and tell their kids "I'm gonna drop you off at the dojo for Karate class." It takes me barely any time to read between the lines and tell why they're there.

And? You attacked a fellow poster and you were wrong, get over it.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And? You attacked a fellow poster and you were wrong, get over it.

You can't just say "you were wrong." You need to actually counter the points I said.

This is the level of debate I expect on Reddit, not Martialtalk.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't just say "you were wrong." You need to actually counter the points I said.

This is the level of debate I expect on Reddit, not Martialtalk.

Get over it. Frankly, I will say what I want, I will not be lectured on what I can and can't say by a tyro, especially when I had already explained. I'd suggest working on your anger issues and go see a nice film with friends.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Get over it. Frankly, I will say what I want, I will not be lectured on what I can and can't say by a tyro, especially when I had already explained. I'd suggest working on your anger issues and go see a nice film with friends.

Tez3 said some stuff.
I made logical arguments to counter said stuff.
Tez3 says "you're wrong" instead of trying to address what I said.
I point out that there is no substance added to the debate.
Tez3 calls me a tyro and says I need to work on my anger.

This is what you just did. You couldn't come up with anything to attack my points, so you just attack me instead. And you say I have anger issues?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:
Return to the original topic and keep the conversations polite and professional. Otherwise threads will be locked and points will be issued.

Mark A Cochran
@Dirty Dog
MartialTalk Senior Moderator

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had to click on this thread because the only part that I could see in the menu was 'Fighting with a bulging di'. Phew. :)
Hahaha. I love awkward-looking thread titles...

But I tell ya what! Put me in a fight with a bulging disc and I'll show it who's the better fighter!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tez3 said some stuff.
I made logical arguments to counter said stuff.
Tez3 says "you're wrong" instead of trying to address what I said.
I point out that there is no substance added to the debate.
Tez3 calls me a tyro and says I need to work on my anger.

This is what you just did. You couldn't come up with anything to attack my points, so you just attack me instead. And you say I have anger issues?

You obviously didn't recognise the 'anger issues' quote then.

I did point out (not attack) where you were wrong, I even made a post about it. I quoted from the OP to show where you were wrong in thinking the OP's post was about starting martial arts, it wasn't, it was about fighting.

Latest Discussions