martial arts fitness goal and objectives

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so your argument is that using the correct terminology in a discuss on physics is incorrect and you should just be able to randomly make up any defintion you like
No, my argument was - and is - that it is best to use the words that best communicate the idea to those involved. Nobody was confused by the terms that were used in that discussion, in spite of your insistence that they were wrong (which wasn't entirely accurate, either).

A technical word is only useful if it actually communicates the needed information. If I tell you something about the Handshake technique, that's not useful if you know it by the Japanese name, and vice-versa. Words do not control the conversation - communication does.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is all so a tendency for them to develop unevenly, they do to much pulling and not enough pushing, which distorts their bodies and leads to muscle wastage in the under used muscles, so despite have reason my stage muscles in some area s that have a large proportion of muscles in constant,decay, and the joints tend to wear out from over use. That's not really fitness
That also has no bearing on anything I said in the series of posts you replied to.

OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When they get old, that's a change in the body's functioning. That's not nearly the same as stasis over a month's time.

And no, they don't do their maximum every day. They do their maximum early on, and then they do the same work over and over, but have developed their body to a point where it's no longer their maximum.

Your statement about loss when they take vacation is actually entirely in line with my earlier statements.

You're trying really hard to say something, and I'm not even sure what it is any more, since you keep shifting your point. You don't seem to actually grasp the concepts you speak of, beyond the ability to write a few sentences about them. You confuse short-term and long-term effects, among other things.
so you now know that NO work man uses maximal strengh every day.

OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That also has no bearing on anything I said in the series of posts you replied to.
it has every thing to do with it, your claiming they are in constant fitness, when there unused muscles are in decline

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it has every thing to do with it, your claiming they are in constant fitness, when there unused muscles are in decline
I never claimed they were in constant, complete fitness. I made statements about their muscular development based upon the level of exertion. Go back and re-read my posts before you mis-represent me any further.

OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's not what I said, and you know it. Unless you have a useful point to make, we're done here.
its exactly what you said, your making wild generalisations' and then back tracking,,, AGAIN

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its exactly what you said, your making wild generalisations' and then back tracking,,, AGAIN
Okay, you clearly have lost the ability to discuss this. You don't understand the concepts you are pontificating on, and don't understand the posts you're reading. I'm moving on.

OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I never claimed they were in constant, complete fitness. I made statements about their muscular development based upon the level of exertion. Go back and re-read my posts before you mis-represent me any further.
your whole point was to use workmen as an example of people who don't lose fitness with out constant,challenge.
and many do lose fitness because the work doesn't,challenge enough muscles, that is rather my point. They are decaying and losing muscle mass in the underused muscles

OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
this whole thing is based you you claiming that mechanics or lifters or what ever don't use maximal strengh on a daily basis and you have no way of knowing that. Have you ever tried putting gearbox on a car with out a jack or swinging a lump hammer about for a couple of hours

OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've mused over the last few posts, and on refection I can understand gpsymoures reluctance to accept to sports science
it seems logical that people who are committed to tma are also committed to ancient training methods' and beliefs and so can't really be expected to realise that the world of,sports has moved on in the last hundred years or so and the understanding of human biology has leap far since IP man and his kind did their thing.

if a modern runner was to train like a 1920s,runner, he would get 1920s performance, similarly the training methods' associated with tma are giving,suboptimal performance.

may be that's part of the reason aikido,win chin etc fair so badly against fighter who train using the latest science. It's less a problem with the art, its more the physical condition of the fighters?

my own instructor said he,couldnt understand why people train legs with weights, when they,could just do horse stance? Then he says he can't understand why i kick so hard,its because i dont live in the 1900s and use modern ideas to train train them

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've mused over the last few posts, and on refection I can understand gpsymoures reluctance to accept to sports science
it seems logical that people who are committed to tma are also committed to ancient training methods' and beliefs and so can't really be expected to realise that the world of,sports has moved on in the last hundred years or so and the understanding of human biology has leap far since IP man and his kind did their thing.

if a modern runner was to train like a 1920s,runner, he would get 1920s performance, similarly the training methods' associated with tma are giving,suboptimal performance.

may be that's part of the reason aikido,win chin etc fair so badly against fighter who train using the latest science. It's less a problem with the art, its more the physical condition of the fighters?

my own instructor said he,couldnt understand why people train legs with weights, when they,could just do horse stance? Then he says he can't understand why i kick so hard,its because i dont live in the 1900s and use modern ideas to train train them
Ah, and so now you add the presumption that I use only traditional training methods. Now you're speaking entirely without knowledge (as opposed to your previous statements, which had some knowledge, but no understanding of it).

OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah, and so now you add the presumption that I use only traditional training methods. Now you're speaking entirely without knowledge (as opposed to your previous statements, which had some knowledge, but no understanding of it).
its a fair conclusion based on your last few posts, your justification for the non challenging nature of the "fitness program you inflict on your students is it works for manual labour?????????????.

manual labour is not a new trend in sports science. So then to give you the benefit of the doubt , which modern fitness programmes are you using to train your students.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its a fair conclusion based on your last few posts, your justification for the non challenging nature of the "fitness program you inflict on your students is it works for manual labour?????????????.

manual labour is not a new trend in sports science. So then to give you the benefit of the doubt , which modern fitness programmes are you using to train your students.
Wow. That's a lot of incorrect assumptions and baseless accusations in a single post. You should be proud of that achievement.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow. That's a lot of incorrect assumptions and baseless accusations in a single post. You should be proud of that achievement.
What's so different about that post than any other one of his posts? He's a real rocket surgeon.

OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
they are not assumptions, they are conclusions based on assumptions. The assumptions arise from the refusal to actually tell what moderns training methods you use, leading to the assumption you don't. AND the statement you made a few posts back that you are not concerned about the fitness requirements of your students, leading to the assumption that you are not concerned about your students fitness.
hence why you peddle discredited fitness methods'

if this conclusion is baseless, please correct it

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they are not assumptions, they are conclusions based on assumptions. The assumptions arise from the refusal to actually tell what moderns training methods you use, leading to the assumption you don't. AND the statement you made a few posts back that you are not concerned about the fitness requirements of your students, leading to the assumption that you are not concerned about your students fitness.
hence why you peddle discredited fitness methods'

if this conclusion is baseless, please correct it
Incorrect reference to a refusal I haven't made, admission of assumptions you made (even as you claim not to be making assumptions). You're doing well. Keep going.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
wouldn't that then require the instructor to be honest ?

student, yes I'm looking to get fit and loose weight,instructor,, this is clearly not the place not enough cardio. Try water arobics
Honesty would be the instructor saying if you are willing to work your butt off and strive for self-improvement every day, you will lose weight as a benefit from your training. Combine your training with a good diet plan and you'll do even better.

OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Honesty would be the instructor saying if you are willing to work your butt off and strive for self-improvement every day, you will lose weight as a benefit from your training. Combine your training with a good diet plan and you'll do even better.
work harding doesnt generaly result in weight loss, have you seen how many any fat plumbers there are

seriously though, you are unlikely to get fit or thin from the type of exercises done at a tma class, no matter how hard you work and given how fat some of the instructors are ,I'm not sure I'd take their advice on diet

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
work harding doesnt generaly result in weight loss, have you seen how many any fat plumbers there are

seriously though, you are unlikely to get fit or thin from the type of exercises done at a tma class, no matter how hard you work and given how fat some of the instructors are ,I'm not sure I'd take their advice on diet
And now you're making generalizations about the "type of exercises done at a tma class" - so all TMA instructors use the same types of exercise, in your world view? See, I know many who actually stay informed on fitness, stretching - and some even are well informed on dietary issues. Some have degrees, certifications, and other training in some of those areas - do you assume they actually throw away all that knowledge when they are teaching?