Internal Arts Represented Here

Which Internal Art do YOU study?

• Xingyiquan (Shanxi, Honan, Hubei, etc.)

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • Taijiquan (Chen, Yang, Sun, Wu, Hao/Wu, etc.)

Votes: 48 54.5%
  • Baguazhang (pick a style, any style!)

Votes: 33 37.5%
  • Liuhebafa

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Yiliquan

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Other

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • Not Applicable

Votes: 8 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Why isn't internal? There's individual qi qong exercises & each form has them as well. Iron wire form is dedicated to moving qi through out the body. Body connection is an essential principle for generating ging. It's a misconception that Hung-Ga is purely external.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Why isn't internal? There's individual qi qong exercises & each form has them as well. Iron wire form is dedicated to moving qi through out the body. Body connection is an essential principle for generating ging. It's a misconception that Hung-Ga is purely external.

I am not saying it is purely external, many CMA style have an internal side and they are not considered an internal style.

Tai Chi, Bagua, Xingyi, Yiquan are considered internal styles.

I have also done some long fist and Wing Chun that have an internal side yet they are not considered internal, I recently have started Sanda/Sanshou, which is decidedly external, but the dantian is still a very important point.

Internal and external has more to do with where and how the Qi is focused and used

Internal (Neijia)
http://www.answers.com/topic/neijia

Gaoguy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
cup,
From whom are you learning Gao style?
Buddy
Yizong baguazhang

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I do a snake hand style of Baguazhang that originated in Siquan. It is not related to the classical form and we don't really know how it came to be, but it was practised at a monastery of the Hsuan Shu sect.

I also practise Golden Bell Cover Qi Gong.

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi all;

I practice Ba gua with Master Shao Zhao Ming in Melbourne. (Tai chi Wushu Institute) Have to say that i was so relieved to find an awesome practitioner who was also a great teacher! Our classes mix up styles quite a bit within the Ba gua class - we also train some Xing yi, Chinese wrestling (Think it's called San shao?) and Sun style Tai chi. I think the idea is to give us a broad grounding in Nei jia, in order to improve our Ba gua.

I've only been at TWI for the last 2 years, prior to that i'd spent time at other schools that offer Ba gua. Consiquently, i've now practised three different sets of palms - rather confusing, although noticing the similarities/differences between them all is quite instructive. I've also dabbled in Liu he, Zi ran men (nature boxing) and Mantis boxing in my rather chequered past, but not to any great effect.

cheers... great thread!

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey there! Well, I just had my first ba gua class tonight. Yes- I'm still doing TKD, it's taught by a shotokan instructor, and I know about hard and soft styles not being the easiest combo. I did some asking around though, and also thought it through.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hey there! Well, I just had my first ba gua class tonight. Yes- I'm still doing TKD, it's taught by a shotokan instructor, and I know about hard and soft styles not being the easiest combo. I did some asking around though, and also thought it through.

Please let us know how it goes.

As to hard and soft styles: I do Taiji (soft)and Sanda (hard) I also do Xingyi which is classified as a hard/soft style.

kaustabh

White Belt
Reaction score
I practice Hsing-I Chuan, Yang Tai Chi Jian, San kai Jian. I am in Kolkata, eastern part of India. I mainly train Chinese internal arts and traditional Indian arts. Have a little exposure to Pa Kua too.

Latest Discussions