Interesting Wed. evening test

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
A lot of you guys know that I am a real traditionalist and technique junkie. I mean, I am the guy that will not quit until I get it right. Well anyway most of you know that I study TKD and HKD under the President of Moo Sul Kwan.

Well, an interesting turn of events. I had been instructing the Grandmaster and another master in our org. who had been promoted to brown 1st in Yudo. I had been teaching them the last pieces they needed for their dan. So, Wed after class was over I tested them for their dan rank. I sat there for an hour and a half and gave them a real test over 7 techniques. I looked at it as I were testing any of my students. However, in retrospect it is quite humbling to have tested a man who is a 5th dan in hapkido and a 7th dan in tae kwon do. Along with another man who holds a 5th dan in tae kwon do and a 3rd dan in hapkido.

I took it very serious and they did as well. It was professionalism at its best. Question........has anyone else been in the same situation before? If so how did you handle it? How did it feel to you?

Just curious, to me it was awe inspiring to see two of my closest friends treat the test with just honor and dignity. True martial artists, I am now teaching the actual kodokan cirriculum to another friend who is a 5th dan tae kwon do and a 3rd dan hapkido.

I am but a lowly (Nidan), 2nd dan and it proves to me one thing. The greatest attribute of a martial artist is humility along with graciousness.

By the way I will be assistant teaching for two days at our national convention. I helped teach last year as well. Anyway, I have been told I will be testing for purple next time their is a tae kwon do test. Good stuff. I don't want to "Fall behind" so to speak in tae kwon do. I have a 2nd dan in yudo and purple in hapkido as well as do a lot of teaching. However, I am driven to do well. It is just sometimes exhausting.

Oh well enough of my ramblings.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, if you do it right you know that everybody is a student and a teacher...

Gratz. Not everybody is willing to start over in this manner and be student again.

But your schedule sounds exhausting.... ;)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like a great experience to have been part of! Congratulations. If your GM and the other master did not think well of your skills, they would not come to you for instruction, no matter your higher rank in another style.

I am but a lowly (Nidan), 2nd dan and it proves to me one thing.

This is the only thing you've said I disagree with - I said the same thing about myself when I was a II Dan... and was strongly corrected by my own sahbum for referring to myself in the same way. You are not a "lowly" anything - how many people around you have reached comparable status through hard work and determination? Do not belittle yourself in this fashion.

The greatest attribute of a martial artist is humility along with graciousness.

Agreed - and very nicely stated.

Well, if you do it right you know that everybody is a student and a teacher...

Gratz. Not everybody is willing to start over in this manner and be student again.

Indeed.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes you are a student in TKD & Hapkido, but you have substantial rank in Judo. I agree with Kacey, you're not a "lowly" anything.

In Judo, these high ranking TKD & Hapkido folks have to come to you. You have much more experience than they do. Humility isn't thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less. It will balance out in a few days when you go to them for help on your next form or technique.:wink1:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I salute them and you on this experience.
They show the true spirit of a martial artist by continuing to learn and you have shown the same spirit by teaching and learning and not being afraid of instructing those of high rank in different systems

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks all for your replies. I agree, I don't truly think of myself as lowly.....I am being humble, for these men have been like family for me since the 70's. Plus, it showed that indeed "Everyone is always a teacher and a student." They took the test not as brown 1st's testing for dan but more like the determination you see of the white belts going for yellow."

After I congratulated the 2 gentlemen the GM told me "You are such a great instructor, you have listened since childhood to all of us 'old guys' and it certainly shows. You are stern yet gracious and humble at the same time."

The Master told me "Those are qualities you don't teach, they come to you or they don't. I am honored to have been promoted by you."

However, as my pop always says "It is always better to be humble and let what you do, not your mouth speak for you."

Again, thanks all.