Old TKD competition clip

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
ooooooooohhhhhhhhh i like the spinning back kick. thats one of my favorite kicks. :boing1::boing2:

turtle

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Can that really be from 1962? It looks like it's taking place in the Kukkiwon auditorium (built in 1974) and the chest gear looks a little too modern.

Cool clip though - pre-head gear days!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can that really be from 1962? It looks like it's taking place in the Kukkiwon auditorium (built in 1974) and the chest gear looks a little too modern.

Yeah I noticed that about the hogus as well. In '62 they were made from bamboo. Or so I hear.:uhohh:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm thinking early 70's not 1962 but then again I could be wrong.

turtle

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, seventies looks more appropriate. The 1962 in the graphic is referring to the first date that the club the commentators are talking about participated in a national event. The clip seems to be of a national high school championship.

OP
F

foot2face

Green Belt
Reaction score
I thought the same thing, that’s why I didn’t write anything about the date, but I wasn’t positive so I didn’t bring it up. It looked a lot like pictures I was shown of competitions in the early-mid seventies. It’s still a pretty old clip and fun to watch.

Yeah I noticed that about the hogus as well. In '62 they were made from bamboo. Or so I hear.:uhohh:
Yeah, form what I understand the first ones were just modified kendo armour then they used vest with bamboo plates finally they settled on padded protectors similar to what we are familiar with today.

Yeah, seventies looks more appropriate. The 1962 in the graphic is referring to the first date that the club the commentators are talking about participated in a national event. The clip seems to be of a national high school championship.
This is a good bit of information. Thanks. So they are just a couple of high school kids…not bad.

turtle

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, the skill level is impressive for teenagers.

turtle

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Nice - I love that kick toward the end that changes up from an axe kick to something like a push kick to the face.

The jumping back kick (second fight?) might be Chung Kuk Hyun?

Latest Discussions