Rounds of Congratulations are in Order

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
At our MSK National Convention banquet we had many good instructors get promoted. 1. Grand Master Jim Sautel, Colorado to 7th dan. 2. Master Rick Schutt from 5th to 6th dan in Tae Kwon Do.
3. My father from 5th dan to 6th dan in Hapkido.

That is all cool, however I found out quickly after the banquet that GM Hildebrand 7th dan TKD and 5th dan HKD has gotten promoted to GGM - 8th dan and 6th dan respectively.

The most notable part is this "He never talks about himself." I have many times spoke for him in the aspect of the old days in the 70's. He would always say something to the effect of "Yeah, whatever and continue drilling."

Even though we belt slow in Moo Sul Kwan it is, has and always be my favorite organization. Yeah, I was "Lucky" to do well in Greco and Yudo while on the USMC teams, etc. However, without humility you never become better. It was truly amazing, GM Jim Sautel and his brother came to me after the banquet and said to me "Mr. Morton, we would be honored to have you come to Colorado and teach Yudo at our convention.

The big deal to that is he is a 7th dan. I am a lowly 2nd dan. He showed pure humility. That is what the M.A.'s are truly all about I believe, being humble and not limiting your challenges but to challenge you limits. It is never about you, it is about your class and how well they do that truly matters.

By the way "GGM Hildebrand has been with MSK for 42 yrs. always active without break and is just now receiving his 8th dan." That to me is a huge deal. Considering I have seen so many TKD schools where people were "8th dan by 25."

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Matt you are right a big Congrats are in order. GM Hidebrand has been around a longtime and glad to see someone get what they deserve after such a longtime.

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks Terry and Miles,

After dad promoted under GGM Park, (Btw: He began hapkido in May of 1973), for 3rd dan(Hapkido) in 1985 he told me....."I will only accept rank now, not because I am entitled or deserve it......I will accept it so my students can continue to grow."

GM Sautel and GGM Hildebrand are no different in their psychology or methodologies. After all, after 3rd dan it is all about what you contribute to the art, school and organization.

Thank you both again, you are true Master's and gentlemen.