Independent Instructor looking for someone to test me for 3rd Dan

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Even if he is fishing, who cares? What exactly is he going to do with the knowledge that someone is willing to test him for 3rd Dan?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seems there is a hidden agenda.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Seems there is a hidden agenda.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Not to be disrespectful, but he's an independent 2nd Dan. (Not that there's anything wrong with that). What does his agenda mean to the wider taekwondo community? Nothing.

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm a independent school instructor in Tae Kwon Do in the Cincinnati Ohio area looking to get tested for 3rd Dan. I came from a Chung Do Kwan school and I'm currently a 2nd Dan. So if anyone can help I would much appreciate it.

Let me ask you.......

.....is this what you've been training in?

Last edited by a moderator:

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That is way too fast for my liking. Is that how the pattern is supposed to be done?

Last edited:
OP
dcsma

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score
For starters my internet connection has been hit and miss and is getting looked at come Friday. So hopefully to that will resolve that laps in a response. Secondly no hidden agenda here just looking for someone to be able to test for 3rd Dan with out going underneath a governing body. For personal reasons I wont get into here, but I wish to stay independent and not fall under a governing body. For the video that is posted above no that is not the style of Tae Kwon Do I have trained in. I was brung up on the Pal Gwe Poomse but now learning the Tae Guk Poomse as well. Hopefully I will have a better internet connection come Friday to be able respond better.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For starters my internet connection has been hit and miss and is getting looked at come Friday. So hopefully to that will resolve that laps in a response. Secondly no hidden agenda here just looking for someone to be able to test for 3rd Dan with out going underneath a governing body. For personal reasons I wont get into here, but I wish to stay independent and not fall under a governing body. For the video that is posted above no that is not the style of Tae Kwon Do I have trained in. I was brung up on the Pal Gwe Poomse but now learning the Tae Guk Poomse as well. Hopefully I will have a better internet connection come Friday to be able respond better.

If you don't want to align with an organization, why do you want one to verify or validate your rank? I see you as having two options: 1) promote yourself, or 2) bring a couple of independent senior taekwondo instructors to come in and test or evaluate you. I simply can't see a meaningful ranking coming from an organization that doesn't require you to become a member of it... After all, if their name is on your rank, they're probably going to want to influence and monitor how you train, no?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you don't want to align with an organization, why do you want one to verify or validate your rank? I see you as having two options: 1) promote yourself, or 2) bring a couple of independent senior taekwondo instructors to come in and test or evaluate you. I simply can't see a meaningful ranking coming from an organization that doesn't require you to become a member of it... After all, if their name is on your rank, they're probably going to want to influence and monitor how you train, no?

This. Absolutely.

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Thats not TKD, thats Chung Do Kwan.
You said you had trained in CDK so thats why I posted that vid.

I would like to know why TKD?

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The real Chungdokwan currently endorses the kukkiwon Taekwondo curriculum. Chung Do Kwan most certainly is Taekwondo.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh....ok.....wasnt aware of that because Ive seen CDK schools that still do the TSD katas.

If that was a Kukkiwon form, it was so bad I didn't recognize it. :uhyeah:

Lots of schools call themselves Chung Do Kwan, doesn't really mean anything. the CDK is currently basically a social club, like the Chang Moo Kwan (my background)

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Lots of schools call themselves Chung Do Kwan, doesn't really mean anything. the CDK is currently basically a social club, like the Chang Moo Kwan (my background)

We're all in social clubs.

Why wouldnt Chung Do Kwan mean anything?
Especially if they're not following TKD's curriculum.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Not quite correct. The Chung Do Kwan in Korea is basically a social club, just as is true of the other original Kwans. However, there are certainly active groups with Chung Do Kwan roots who may or may not practice TKD in accordance with the KKW standard.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We're all in social clubs.

Why wouldnt Chung Do Kwan mean anything?
Especially if they're not following TKD's curriculum.

It doesn't mean anything consistently, except the particular club has CDK roots. Chung Do Kwan as a federation doesn't teach or endorse anything outside kukkiwon taekwondo.

Not quite correct. The Chung Do Kwan in Korea is basically a social club, just as is true of the other original Kwans. However, there are certainly active groups with Chung Do Kwan roots who may or may not practice TKD in accordance with the KKW standard.

The Chung Do Kwan in Korea is the continuation, more or less, of the original school, that's what I meant. the other CDK federations just have CDK roots.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Chung Do Kwan in Korea is the continuation, more or less, of the original school, that's what I meant. the other CDK federations just have CDK roots.

That's one way to view it. Another way is that the CDK (or MDK or whatever) that is still more than just a social club is the continuation, more or less, of the original school.

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It doesn't mean anything consistently, except the particular club has CDK roots. Chung Do Kwan as a federation doesn't teach or endorse anything outside kukkiwon taekwondo.

Oooooohhhhhhh.......ok.
Gotcha.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's one way to view it. Another way is that the CDK (or MDK or whatever) that is still more than just a social club is the continuation, more or less, of the original school.
But then that goes back to saying CDK is not TKD. It is. A continuation of the original school would be a school that adheres to KKW standards. That is what GM Lee Won-kuk decided on the direction of the school. You may have CDK schools that have not adhered to the Taeguk forms, but the forms they practice are old TKD forms. The only exception to this may be GM Son's CDK school. I do not know if they still practice his forms or if they have shifted to Taeguks by now. It is also why I was asking if the person in the video was part of GM Son's school because I did not recognize that as any Taeguk or Palgue form, though I admit my memory of Palgue forms are very rusty.

Latest Discussions