Interesting Situation I Was Put In, What Would You Do?

wtftkdfanatic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi All,

This past Saturday at the AAU District Championships I was put in an awkward situation right before my sparring match. The man I was supposed to spar at first refused to spar me but said he needed to spar someone to pass a belt test, and after a long time of confusion he finally agreed to spar me in an exhibition match but begged me to 'take it easy on him' and 'not hurt him'...also keep in mind this was before he had even seen what kind of skill set I had at all. With this being said, I ended the match in the first round with a 7-0 gap and literally did 'take it easy' on him not to hurt him.

After I was done though and had time to think, I wondered what if this whole thing was a bluff and he was going to try and knock me out? Or frankly just was trying to get me out of my zone before the match. I've decided I did the wrong thing and should've just sparred him at full force regardless.

My question to all of you is what would you have done? OR, a lot of people here probably have been faced with similar situations and how did you handle this? I feel if you're at a tournament to compete then you shouldn't be able to make such excuses as they just make the other competitor uneasy about things.

Thanks

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The fact that you won 7-0 says you were much better than him, in retrospect. Before the match, of course you don't really know. For me, I would guess beforehand that the guy probably is saying the truth about a belt test, and I would hold back the strength and not the technique. For instance, a roundhouse to the head would be a tap and not a hard hit. I would guess initially that anyone who says "take it easy on me" probably isn't bluffing - he just wants to go home without a broken rib or face. So contrary to your 2nd guessing of yourself, I would say you did the right thing by holding back a bit but still winning decisively.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe you already have the reputation of a bruiser ;)

But, with hindsight being 20/20 why do you think you needed to clobber the man?

Most of us have day jobs and simply can't afford to get hurt playing.

Coming from a club with light/medium contact, I see how one can exhibit technique (including the roundhouse etc. to the head) without sacrificing control.

You did ok holding back, no need to second guess.

BTW, having participated in a few tournaments, I have run into a few dark horses (matter of fact most my matches). You just have to learn to read your opponent, not falling asleep and assuming anything.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You should not have been talking with him. Go by tourney rules. Let his coach throw in the towel if needed. If he can't stand the heat he should get out of the kitchen.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I would have played it by ear, but if it was clear to me that the person was out of his depth, I would take it easy on him. There's no reason to embarrass him or create any ill will. Sounds like you won easily, and no harm was done.

As Granfire asked, why would you think you handled it poorly and should have sparred him full force?

OP
wtftkdfanatic

wtftkdfanatic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Definitely did not want to clobber anyone..as someone that is going to school to study medicine my mission is to help and treat others not hurt them! LOL. however, the fact remains that in tournaments you've no clue who you're going against most of the time. My point was that the man could have been someone that was bluffing, and it definitely did effect my mind and overall zone before the match. Thanks!

OP
wtftkdfanatic

wtftkdfanatic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You should not have been talking with him. Go by tourney rules. Let his coach throw in the towel if needed. If he can't stand the heat he should get out of the kitchen.
I agree with this, it was my biggest mistake. I understand if he doesn't want to get hurt, I definitely don't want to get hurt either! And I understand that many people have school and day to day jobs and family to take care of just as I do, but can I not argue with the question of why are you competing in a tournament if this is the case? Luckily, I respect the man's honesty and am glad both he and I are injury free and he will now be promoted. Was a very nice man!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guy could have been trying to sand bag you. Go in ready -- but don't pound him mercilessly, either. When you got close to the mercy rule, let him score a point or two. Don't throw the match, but give him an opening for a point or two. Especially since he eventually was talked into fighting as an exhibition; let him have something to show, too.

It's like when you realize you'll be facing a classmate in the ring. There are a couple of ways you can go: you can both go all out, and take what happens. The junior can bow out to the senior. Or you can both move together, and essentially put on an exhibition. Personally, I never bowed out. We always agreed, depending on who was involved, which way we'd go with it ahead of time.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can usually tell in the first 20 seconds if you have someone that is good vs. a newbie. I no longer compete but I coach and I tell all my students to be aggressive right off the bat until they or I can tell what we have in front of us. You did the right thing. Most people won't tell you to take it easy on them, and this guy was only competing to pass a criteria for his next rank level also. No one would make up that elaborate story. Not everyone wants to compete but still like the arts.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's a hard line to toe.

I'd take him at face value right off, maybe slow down if you feel it's necessary.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is happened to us many times!!! We have had sand baggers...always cautious at first!!! We had a kid try a trap spin hook out of the gate!!! Intent to KO my son after we had agreed to go lightly!!! It was s stupid kick and missed by a mile!!!! Charlie made him pay!!!! He hit him in the stomach so hard the kid puked!!! Match was stopped in about 30 seconds!!!

Most people are well intentioned not all!!!!

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi All,

This past Saturday at the AAU District Championships I was put in an awkward situation right before my sparring match. The man I was supposed to spar at first refused to spar me but said he needed to spar someone to pass a belt test, and after a long time of confusion he finally agreed to spar me in an exhibition match but begged me to 'take it easy on him' and 'not hurt him'...also keep in mind this was before he had even seen what kind of skill set I had at all. With this being said, I ended the match in the first round with a 7-0 gap and literally did 'take it easy' on him not to hurt him.

After I was done though and had time to think, I wondered what if this whole thing was a bluff and he was going to try and knock me out? Or frankly just was trying to get me out of my zone before the match. I've decided I did the wrong thing and should've just sparred him at full force regardless.

My question to all of you is what would you have done? OR, a lot of people here probably have been faced with similar situations and how did you handle this? I feel if you're at a tournament to compete then you shouldn't be able to make such excuses as they just make the other competitor uneasy about things.

Thanks

If all parties agreed that this would now be an exhibition match, then you did exactly what you were supposed to do.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You obviously had the skills to read him early in the match and keep from getting sand bagged. It was an honorable way to deal with an opponent who was clearly out of his depth and may have even given him the opportunity to increase his experience safely.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
... We had a kid try a trap spin hook out of the gate!!! Intent to KO my son after we had agreed to go lightly!!! It was s stupid kick and missed by a mile!!!! Charlie made him pay!!!! He hit him in the stomach so hard the kid puked!!! Match was stopped in about 30 seconds!!!

Most people are well intentioned not all!!!!
It sounds like you are proud of that. Why try to hurt the kid? Clearly if he missed by a mile, he really wasn't that good in comparison. Why not just have good hits that win but don't do damage? For me, I wouldn't say with multiple explanation marks that my kid made another kid puke. But I suppose that is the hypocrisy or perhaps paradox of martial arts - only for self defense, then we cheer little Johnny when he KO's someone.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hm. In my opinion, he was probably sincerely worried. Thats cool. If he had more aggressive intentions, he would have been going for you. It makes no sense to set up an advantage like that, then not even score one point.

He was taking it easy, i think. Because he didnt want you to go hard. Think about it :)

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It sounds like you are proud of that. Why try to hurt the kid? Clearly if he missed by a mile, he really wasn't that good in comparison. Why not just have good hits that win but don't do damage? For me, I wouldn't say with multiple explanation marks that my kid made another kid puke. But I suppose that is the hypocrisy or perhaps paradox of martial arts - only for self defense, then we cheer little Johnny when he KO's someone.

There are lots of people who train for lots of reasons other than self defense.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
There are lots of people who train for lots of reasons other than self defense.
True, I joke that if I were training for self defense, I would take up track and field, specifically 200 metre running!

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

The opponent lacked integrity and tried to get an advantage by other means than skill--poor sportsmanship at best. It was a cheap shot, and I'm fine with making whoever takes a cheap shot puke. As a coach, I would also have something to say to the other athlete's coach and master. That kind of crap has no place in any sport, much less one where injury can result. He's lucky he only got kicked in the gut and not knocked out.

Replying to the OP, I've been in that situation and handled it like you did. It's a judgment call whether to take someone at their word, but you get a good read in the first 20 seconds of a match.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The kids was more skilled than the Master let on!!!! It was a body shot!!! He could have KO'd the kid!!!! The way his master was acting it made Charlie mad so he put a little extra on the body shot!!!!

Not proud but if you pull a fast one you should pay!!!!

I love these !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are jus strange part of my poor writing style!