Interesting Situation I Was Put In, What Would You Do?

OP
wtftkdfanatic

wtftkdfanatic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This is happened to us many times!!! We have had sand baggers...always cautious at first!!! We had a kid try a trap spin hook out of the gate!!! Intent to KO my son after we had agreed to go lightly!!! It was s stupid kick and missed by a mile!!!! Charlie made him pay!!!! He hit him in the stomach so hard the kid puked!!! Match was stopped in about 30 seconds!!!

Most people are well intentioned not all!!!!

This was my exact worry, glad the kick missed!

Appreciate the replies everyone! Nice to see everyone's view on such a situation.

OP
wtftkdfanatic

wtftkdfanatic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If all parties agreed that this would now be an exhibition match, then you did exactly what you were supposed to do.

Agreed. I will say though that regardless of an exhibition match or not I can't get the fact out of my head that you still have no clue who you're facing in the ring. I recall back in the day a guy hitting a back kick right to an opponents nose in an exhibition, completely breaking it. Sad thing was, the guy started celebrating as if he'd won gold or something. Sick people...gotta watch out for them...

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi All,

This past Saturday at the AAU District Championships I was put in an awkward situation right before my sparring match. The man I was supposed to spar at first refused to spar me but said he needed to spar someone to pass a belt test, and after a long time of confusion he finally agreed to spar me in an exhibition match but begged me to 'take it easy on him' and 'not hurt him'...also keep in mind this was before he had even seen what kind of skill set I had at all. With this being said, I ended the match in the first round with a 7-0 gap and literally did 'take it easy' on him not to hurt him.

After I was done though and had time to think, I wondered what if this whole thing was a bluff and he was going to try and knock me out? Or frankly just was trying to get me out of my zone before the match. I've decided I did the wrong thing and should've just sparred him at full force regardless.

My question to all of you is what would you have done? OR, a lot of people here probably have been faced with similar situations and how did you handle this? I feel if you're at a tournament to compete then you shouldn't be able to make such excuses as they just make the other competitor uneasy about things.

Thanks

Of course you did not know from his words alone his intentions but by agreeing to an exhibition match, you behaved honorably. That speaks volumes. It could have been his first match and he was worried. Think about how it must have hurt him to swallow his pride and express what he did to a stranger. Local tourneys bring all kinds of different folks out. Not everyone there is seeking to compete. For many it is a learning experience.