Intelligent film / movie ??????

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I havent' seen it mentioned yet, but one of George Lucas' very early works, "THX 1138" (where the whole THX thing came from) is an excellent movie. It hurt my brain. Robert Duvall does an excellent job in it.

It seems like many other good movies have already been mentioned.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
You could watch The Fountain , its a bit out there but it really makes you think , its got Hugh Jackman in it or as my japanese wife calls him Jack Human she thinks thats hilarious. :)

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can be so predictable sometimes
Ah my friend, I think ALL swordsmen say that line that just before they take off your head, yes?? :) Jenna

"The Other Sister", a truly wonderful movie about a young girl with a cognitive disability becoming a woman - and having to fight her family for her own life the whole way. One of my favorites.
Hey Kacey :) now this sounds like a right weepie? I wonder have you ever seen a film called The Diving Bell and The Butterfly?? About the editor of Elle magazine a true story? It is the kind of film I think you might like it is so poignant and beautifully and cleverly done.. And but thank you for your suggestion my friend I am compiling a wonderful list :) J

Then again, of course, I have what I could watch over and over again: "Ever After," "3 Musketeers" (90's version).... Oh my- I really could go on for a very long time, especially when they're not overloaded with special effects. I even could list off some really old ones. But, I'll leave my list as- is.

"The Orphanage" seems to be really scary at first, but only until towards the end, where things kind of fall in place. Then, it's not so scary- just suspenseful and sad.
Ah K my lovely friend :) now if you liked Ever After then you must have also liked Stardust?? Robert DeNiro was a gem though his English accent was LOLss.. Hey thank you again for your suggestions.. and are there more from your list? I would love to hear :) J

If you want to go for intelligent with a bit of a mind bend try "The Night Porter" or "A Night at the Opera".
"Metropolis" is a classic and amazing!
"Ju Dou " is breathtaking and very good
My favorite film is " The Art and Architecture of Doom" a study of how the both what was promoted and banned during 1932-1945 in Germany reflected the political landscape. Ok that may be a bit heavy.
Go for Metropolis!!
Lori
Metropolis the old sci-fi one?? I have never actually seen this. Is there a story?? Seemed like an experimental thing of the day? I am very ignorant I am afraid.. Oh, see now I have not heard of these films which is good.. Night Porter, can you direct me to it?? I only know Night Porter the song by David Sylvian. And Ju Dou sounds interesting also.. gosh you have a wonderfully cultural disposition in this selection and thank you very kindly indeed for your choices! :) J

"Pay It Forward" is one of my favourite films.

Also, "O Brother, Where Art Thou" (the Coens are creeping in again) and I have to mention "Dead Poet's Society" and "The Green Mile."
Oh, Pay It Forward I had forgotten that.. what a little gem it is too.. and what was the other one that slipped under radar with Kevin Spacey where he played the alien visitor in the asylum, that was top?? Kevin Spacey really is a class act.. saw him on stage in Moon for the Misbegotten.. a fantastic actor.. mind I did see Rob Lowe too in a stage version of A Few Good Men and oddly enough he was pretty good too.. but I digress, sorry :) Dead Poet's Society is well good.. good choices, thank you for your suggestions.. Lemon Meringue? Mmmm :) J

I havent' seen it mentioned yet, but one of George Lucas' very early works, "THX 1138" (where the whole THX thing came from) is an excellent movie. It hurt my brain. Robert Duvall does an excellent job in it.

It seems like many other good movies have already been mentioned.
Hey there :) this sounds cool too though it hurt your brain = 70s psychadelia?? I thought Space Odyssey was too claustrophobic liked 2010 though.. I like Rubert Duvall.. the one with Michael Douglas where he's the aged cop.. the one where he shoots up the burger place.. cool :) Thank you for this! :) J

You could watch The Fountain , its a bit out there but it really makes you think , its got Hugh Jackman in it or as my japanese wife calls him Jack Human she thinks thats hilarious.
Jack Human, ha! Hey my friend I wonder how did you find this film? And why do films with big stars slip by unnoticed? Sounds good.. "Out there" suits me just lovely :) Thank you for this :) J

lemon_meringue

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oh, Pay It Forward I had forgotten that.. what a little gem it is too.. and what was the other one that slipped under radar with Kevin Spacey where he played the alien visitor in the asylum, that was top??

Ah yes, K-Pax. I've seen it 3 or 4 times I think! :)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Kacey :) now this sounds like a right weepie? I wonder have you ever seen a film called The Diving Bell and The Butterfly?? About the editor of Elle magazine a true story? It is the kind of film I think you might like it is so poignant and beautifully and cleverly done.. And but thank you for your suggestion my friend I am compiling a wonderful list :) J
Actually, it's really not a weepy... not the way you're thinking, anyway.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Jen, another 20 minutes of Metropolis was discovered and a re-edit done just recently. There is very much a story line.
The Night Porter is German and is quite popular.You should be able to find it at anyplace that has a decent selection of foreign films.
One more if your in the mood to laugh your *** off with some friends is "Meet the Feebles. I have 2 copies of that one and never get tired of it.
Cheers,
Lori M

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jen, another 20 minutes of Metropolis was discovered and a re-edit done just recently. There is very much a story line.
The Night Porter is German and is quite popular.You should be able to find it at anyplace that has a decent selection of foreign films.
One more if your in the mood to laugh your *** off with some friends is "Meet the Feebles. I have 2 copies of that one and never get tired of it.
Cheers,
Lori M
Hey Lori :) Meet the Feebles? Hey you trying to subvert me? :) I am just a little naif my friend, ha! I need something that is kind of impressive if you follow.. Metropolis sounds interesting and you say there is more to it than just like monorails and like retro spaceships?? I still cannot pinpoint Night Porter, there are a few?? Thank you though.. it is appreciated :)
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah K my lovely friend :) now if you liked Ever After then you must have also liked Stardust?? Robert DeNiro was a gem though his English accent was LOLss.. Hey thank you again for your suggestions.. and are there more from your list? I would love to hear :) J

I really liked Stardust, too... You mean he was actually trying an English accent?!? I just thought he sounded weird... Wow, that's all I can say to that one. I'm going to have to re- watch it, and listen for the accent.

I like romantic movies, but only if they have action in them, and back to zombie movies- they litterally give me nightmares for some strange reason, unless I watch a comedy right after. I also like The Princess Bride, Hot Fuzz is funny (yes, I believe I'm starting to turn into a Simon Pegg "fan"), Jewell of the Nile- funny/romantic/adventure as well as Romancing the Stone... Hmm.... You'll have to wait for more, I'm afraid- brain is farting once again...

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
Have you seen Inside Man with Clive Owen or Eastern Promises with Vigo Mortensen?
Two amazing movies and definetely two of the best I've ever seen.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Jen, Subvert? Well yes. As far as I know there is only one Night Porter. It stars Dick Bogart and Charrrlote Rampling. It has been described as "a long slow Dance Macabre" and Utterly Depraved and Utterly Fascinating." If you want to Impress some one I need more info. Ju Dou is beautiful and smart. The Night Porter is a serious mind ****, very twisted but smart as hell. "Terror at the Opera" is another good one. One of the best horrors I've ever seen. Your friend wouln't like the Feebles? Hmmmmmm, thats kinda too bad. The Night Porter might scar him for life. "Ju Dou " is the tamest of the lot, Metropolis is the Coolest.
Have fun, let me know what you think if you pick any of these up.
Lori:ubercool:

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Jen, 2 more to add that may be easier to find, " Sex, Lies and Videotape" with James Spader and "Blue Velvet" with Dennis Hopper. I don't think this is Dennis Hopper acting. I think this is Dennis Hopper just being himself. No subtitles but they are very thought provoking films. I'd go for Blue Velvet but I'm a bit of a sadist.
Lori

Hyper_Shadow

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you can find it look for 'Seven Samurai'. Best samurai film ever. It's black and white, it's got a fantastic mix of characters and is by far the most accurate and stimulating martial arts film I've ever seen.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I really liked Stardust, too... You mean he was actually trying an English accent?!? I just thought he sounded weird... Wow, that's all I can say to that one. I'm going to have to re- watch it, and listen for the accent.

I like romantic movies, but only if they have action in them, and back to zombie movies- they litterally give me nightmares for some strange reason, unless I watch a comedy right after. I also like The Princess Bride, Hot Fuzz is funny (yes, I believe I'm starting to turn into a Simon Pegg "fan"), Jewell of the Nile- funny/romantic/adventure as well as Romancing the Stone... Hmm.... You'll have to wait for more, I'm afraid- brain is farting once again...
Ah now Simon Pegg is an interest we have in common then, yay! And I would not have thought he would have translated way across the ocean and but yes Hot Fuzz is just the funniest and wierdest, well after Shaun of the Dead.. your brain is farting?? I would take a big plate of tuna pasta bake, the tuna will boost your tryptophan and the pasta will make you drowsy and then you will sleep soundly and your brain will fart no more :) And thank you for these my friend :) J

Have you seen Inside Man with Clive Owen or Eastern Promises with Vigo Mortensen?
Two amazing movies and definetely two of the best I've ever seen.
Inside Man? Ooooh Jodie Foster yes please :D and Clive Owen too I was thoroughly taken at his part in Sin City.. These are good picks thank you my friend :) J

Jen, Subvert? Well yes. As far as I know there is only one Night Porter. It stars Dick Bogart and Charrrlote Rampling. It has been described as "a long slow Dance Macabre" and Utterly Depraved and Utterly Fascinating." If you want to Impress some one I need more info. Ju Dou is beautiful and smart. The Night Porter is a serious mind ****, very twisted but smart as hell. "Terror at the Opera" is another good one. One of the best horrors I've ever seen. Your friend wouln't like the Feebles? Hmmmmmm, thats kinda too bad. The Night Porter might scar him for life. "Ju Dou " is the tamest of the lot, Metropolis is the Coolest.

Jen, 2 more to add that may be easier to find, " Sex, Lies and Videotape" with James Spader and "Blue Velvet" with Dennis Hopper. I don't think this is Dennis Hopper acting. I think this is Dennis Hopper just being himself. No subtitles but they are very thought provoking films. I'd go for Blue Velvet but I'm a bit of a sadist.
Lori
Oh I remember Charrrlotte Rampling and those eyes I think :) Though surpassed for me by Tilda Swinton in Constantine for some reason.. Yes something impressive arty.. but not arthouse, sexy.. but not sex, funny.. through clever script and not played for laughs, I dunno, gosh, raw like Trainspotting, weird like The Machinist?? Something clever.. stimmmulating, if you follow.. think more girl clever than guy clever maybes.. These suggestions of yours are great btw.. Ah, Dennis Hopper see now you have me thinking Easy Rider, ahh.. And I think there are no actors who act. Only folk being themselves in different ways. Robert DeNiro is always Robert DeNiro regardless of what he is in. Oh Sex Lies and Videotape, AND Blue Velvet??? See now I am getting a crystal picture of you my friend ;) The Marquis would be overjoyed :D J

If you can find it look for 'Seven Samurai'. Best samurai film ever. It's black and white, it's got a fantastic mix of characters and is by far the most accurate and stimulating martial arts film I've ever seen.
I wholly agree my friend :) and thank you for your kind suggestion :) J

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the idea that the very English films we make over here are appreciated ( and understood) 'over there'!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you like Le Carre's spy novels, you'll probably like The Constant Gardener.

If you want to go back a few years, and want something really intelligent... try to find Mindwalk which features Sam Waterston.

World Trade Center is pretty good, too. You might also be able to find Rosencrantz and Guilderstone are Dead or... for something QUITE different... try to dig up Penn & Teller Get Killed, the one and only film made by the magician team.

And you can never go wrong with The Princess Bride!

Last edited:

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love the idea that the very English films we make over here are appreciated ( and understood) 'over there'!

Appreciated, yes. Understood? Well, it usually takes the first 10 minutes of the movie to begin to understand what people are saying. ;)

Trainspotting and The Full Monty =
icon14.gif

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
Another excellent movie that I found I had to think (sometimes way to hard)...is The Ipcress File with Michael Caine.

Latest Discussions