Intelligent film / movie ??????

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I loved it until the last 5 minutes. What an awful ending, they really butchered it compared to the book. I have no idea why they changed it.

I actually liked the ending very much. Not that I liked what happened, but I thought it was a very emphatic statement on the importance of keeping hope no matter how bleak the outlook.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi Jenna, you probably recognise Jack Kligman's name because he used to play Quincy on TV.

Other great movies that depend on more than just SFX tend to be the older ones. The current availability of astounding effects and the general decline in peoples ability to follow plot means that most modern fare is 'popcorn' - well, most from Hollywood anyway. Nothing wrong with popcorn, I hasten to add, indeed many of my favourite movies would fit that definition.

Have you watched "Shane" recently? Perhap's targeted as a bit of a 'man's' film when it was devised but I don't think that themes of honour, physical and moral courage and the tenacity of past choices to shape your life need apply only to men.

"One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" is another splendid morsel from times past, as is "To Kill A Mocking Bird" EDIT: Ah, I see Live True beat me to that one :D.

"Catch 22" and "MASH" are intelligent films with a military flavour whilst "Glory" is a wonderful delve into emotion and the bonds between soldiers when they are treated as the lowest of the low {I don't mind admitting that I always seem to get something in my eye by the end of that one :lol:}.
Quincy? Ahh.. ok TV.. thank you.. Yes I agree, nothing wrong with popcorn movies (I will happily admit to being a Steven Seagal fan, yes? :D) and but I have a mission that I chose to, um, accept urgent for this weekend and need some highbrow!! pffft.. well sort of :) And you know, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is right up near the very top of my top list.. I like your choices.. and so I wonder, tell me, can you answer for me a little specific question?? Can you tell me what is your
1. favourite
2. non-special fx film (or films)
3. of say the last 5 years.. ??
Ooh, is that too specific? :) J

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Intelligent film? Hmm... Dumb and Dumber??? (j/k)

Anything Cohen Brothers (Personal favs are: "The Man Who Wasn't There" & of course... "Fargo" yah!)

Most films by Humphrey Bogart (favs are: Sahara, Maltese Falcon, Big Sleep, Key Largo)

Anything Kurosawa (favs are: Stray Dog, Ran, 7 Samurai (natch), Ikiru, High and Low (modern day Japanese detective story... ok modern as in 1960's).

Just to name a few

A smart Japanese Horror that hasn't been translated to American Cinema (yet :rolleyes: ) is Audition... you'll never look at acupuncture the same way again.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was going to suggest The Usual Suspects, but you've already got it.

If you like twisted comedy, try The Big Lebowski, it's a Cohen Brothers film, and I think it's hilarious, but also intelligent, not just stupid humor.

Fargo also fits that same bill.

If you like Zombie films, try 28 Days Later, and the sequel, 28 Weeks Later, it's pretty compelling and gripping and disturbing at the same time.

I really liked Cloverfield, it's a new take on the Gigantic Monster Stomping Thru The City genre, pretty clever and filmed by a "participant" with a handheld camcorder in the same way the Blair Witch was done.

Kingdom of Heaven is a great movie if you like period pieces, it's a story set in the Crusades as a backdrop, with Orlando Bloom. Get the extended version. Very well done.

Desperado, with Antonio Banderas and Selma Hyack is one of my favorites, kind of dark comedy/action, kind of an unusual storyline, lots of fun. You could start with the original, El Mariachi, a low-budget film shot all in Spanish. Desperado was created as a sort of sequel, but you don't need to see the first one in order to enjoy the second one.
Hey my friend :) Thank you for these. Man you too have good tastes!! I do like the Coen Brothers. No Country For Old Men is one of my recent favs. I could not get with Cloverfield camerawork though the idea was sound, yes? Zombie films - though I am not a fan per se.. my dad loves 'em and so I have come to like Resident Evil (the lovely Milla......) and if you like these have you seen Sean of The Dead from right here in Blighty? Cool.. nice choices!! And if you were trying to, um, impress someone with your knowledge of like clever films what would you maybe pick?? :) J

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oops! Forgot about Insomnia, also by Christopher Nolan. Good movie, though I liked Memento more. (pun intended ;))

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey my friend :) Thank you for these. Man you too have good tastes!! I do like the Coen Brothers. No Country For Old Men is one of my recent favs. I could not get with Cloverfield camerawork though the idea was sound, yes? Zombie films - though I am not a fan per se.. my dad loves 'em and so I have come to like Resident Evil (the lovely Milla......) and if you like these have you seen Sean of The Dead from right here in Blighty? Cool.. nice choices!! And if you were trying to, um, impress someone with your knowledge of like clever films what would you maybe pick?? :) J

Sean of the Dead is EXCELLENT, but if you like Resident Evil, then definitely see 28 Days and 28 Weeks. I think they are MUCH MUCH MUCH better, way more gritty, disturbing, very sort of "un-Hollywood" when compared to Resident Evil. I saw the first two of those, but couldn't really get into them...

As far as clever and obscure films, I'd probably go with Dogday Afternoon, as I mentioned in my second post. It's a good choice.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmm ... favourite non-SFX film of the past five years? That's a tough one given that so many of the 'big films' have been special effects driven.

That proviso rules out such splendid offerings as the Lord of the Rings trilogy and given that I'm a sci-fi geek rather limits things :lol:.

I was going to say "Prince of Jutland" but then realised that that was nearly 15 years ago rather than 5 :eek:. In similar vein, I very much liked "Tristan and Isolde". "Tears of the Sun" was good too but that is very much a 'moral' action movie - thought provoking but lots of violence. "Blood Diamond" is another like that.

If I had to pick just one from the last five years, I'd have to go for "The Last Samurai". I know that it has effects in it but given that I watch it about once a month I must like it a lot :lol:.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you don't mind the boring yet interesting (and true) kind, "Catch Me if You Can," I'd reccommend. It stars Leonardo DiCaprio, and it's about a young man that basically is a scam artist. I won't tell you more, though...

"Beautiful Mind"- another true story, but really good and not boring. "Good Will Hunting"- about a seemingly average guy... Again, anything with Will Smith- "Independence Day," "I Am Legend," can't forget "Men in Black"!

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Zombie films - though I am not a fan per se.. my dad loves 'em and so I have come to like Resident Evil (the lovely Milla......) and if you like these have you seen Sean of The Dead from right here in Blighty? Cool.. nice choices!! And if you were trying to, um, impress someone with your knowledge of like clever films what would you maybe pick?? :) J

For zombies... I really liked "Shawn of the Dead," and any of the "...Living Dead's"- both old and more recent. I don't know if it's out yet, but the Spanish film, "The Orphanage" is a good one.

I'm a HUGE movie goer, and like most film genres.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Coucou :) If anyone can help I would be very, very, very grateful.. I am desperately searching for an INTELLIGENT film / movie to watch and but I am going round in circles looking for stuff.. Maybe someone would have an idea?? I am in urgent need of this stimmmmulating film like by the weekend.. My shelf is full of the wrong stuff.. Seagal and Jet Li, pffft.. By intelligent I am not being pretentious but am needy of something with a plot, some decent acting, whatever, any genre, even if I have not heard of it, any little obscure films or new stuff that slipped under radar.. anything just NOT 90 minutes of effects.. I mean I watched In Bruges and which is like 5star all the way and but I mean the likes of No Country For Old Men, Pi, The Bank Job, Memento, Green Mile, Shawshank, Brazil or even Usual Suspects, Bourne, LA Confidential, Heat that kind of thing??? Anyone??? I am on a desperate mission for this weekend aaahh!
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna
One of my Faves is, "A Razor's Edge" with Bill Murry. I find myself thinking of it often. Give it a try.
sean

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Mystic River or The Departed might fit for you. "Mad Dog and Glory" was fun and a not-so-obvious role for both DeNiro and Bill Murray. Razor's Edge (another unusual role for Murray). the Godfather.

Eastern Promises. The Village. The Rules of the Game (Chevalier).

Satyricon (it might be "intelligent", maybe that depends on how you receive it and what yo umean by "intellignet")

you might like Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (Liz Taylor and Paul newman) or Long Hot Summer (more Paul Newman). both great "Southern Gothic" style.

I would go with either Mystic River or Eastern Promises, or Long Hot Summer if you are not in the mood for crime drama.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The Professional (Jean Reno)
Strange Days (Ralph Fiennes)
Blade Runner
The Hunted (w/ Christopher Lambert, John Lone) - one of the best samurai movies around, IMO

Didn't see these in the above, and they're some of my favorites... along with Usual Suspects, Memento, etc.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Intelligent film? Hmm... Dumb and Dumber??? (j/k)

Anything Cohen Brothers (Personal favs are: "The Man Who Wasn't There" & of course... "Fargo" yah!)

Most films by Humphrey Bogart (favs are: Sahara, Maltese Falcon, Big Sleep, Key Largo)

Anything Kurosawa (favs are: Stray Dog, Ran, 7 Samurai (natch), Ikiru, High and Low (modern day Japanese detective story... ok modern as in 1960's).

Just to name a few

A smart Japanese Horror that hasn't been translated to American Cinema (yet ) is Audition... you'll never look at acupuncture the same way again.
Ahh yes Coens are a given I think. I do not know much Humphrey Bogart and but Sinatra On The Town was highly watchable and one of my fav films ever I bet you have never seen How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying ?? (it is a musical movie). If you have seen this I will be impressed.. And yes natch to Seven Samurai and Rashomon also.. crackly films are fun.. man you have seen a lot of films also! Thank you for your suggestions :) J

Oops! Forgot about Insomnia, also by Christopher Nolan. Good movie, though I liked Memento more. (pun intended )
Insomnia? I have not heard of this one my friend. Pacino?? Yes Memento takes a little beating does it not. I liked Guy Pearce in LA Confidential too and he did the Count of Monte Cristo too which was not so good and but then making the world's greatest book into a equally great film is never a possibility :) Thank you again :) J

Sean of the Dead is EXCELLENT, but if you like Resident Evil, then definitely see 28 Days and 28 Weeks. I think they are MUCH MUCH MUCH better, way more gritty, disturbing, very sort of "un-Hollywood" when compared to Resident Evil. I saw the first two of those, but couldn't really get into them...

As far as clever and obscure films, I'd probably go with Dogday Afternoon, as I mentioned in my second post. It's a good choice.
Hey my friend :) oooh I did not like 28 Days was it not a little tooo grim?? You have a stronger constitution than I!! Dogday Afternoon, I checked imdb, this is the one with Pacino?? Hmmm.. Pacino as a gay bank robber? Pacino?? Man that is an unusual find for sure! I will go check it :) Thank you J

Hmm ... favourite non-SFX film of the past five years? That's a tough one given that so many of the 'big films' have been special effects driven.

That proviso rules out such splendid offerings as the Lord of the Rings trilogy and given that I'm a sci-fi geek rather limits things .

I was going to say "Prince of Jutland" but then realised that that was nearly 15 years ago rather than 5 . In similar vein, I very much liked "Tristan and Isolde". "Tears of the Sun" was good too but that is very much a 'moral' action movie - thought provoking but lots of violence. "Blood Diamond" is another like that.

If I had to pick just one from the last five years, I'd have to go for "The Last Samurai". I know that it has effects in it but given that I watch it about once a month I must like it a lot .
Hey Suke.. Man I just KNEW you would pick The Last Samurai!! ha! Yes, a great show absolutely! And but I would have to take Jet Li Fearless instead and but do not slice me up that is just my opinion :) Oooh Tears of the Sun is good Monica Bellucci... that reminds me of what was the name of the one with Owen Wilson where his plane ditched in former Jugoslav .. Gene Hackman too I think.. I cannot remember the name but good show.. Prince of Jutland and Tristan and Isolde I will go and look these up.. thank you again my friend! :) J

If you don't mind the boring yet interesting (and true) kind, "Catch Me if You Can," I'd reccommend. It stars Leonardo DiCaprio, and it's about a young man that basically is a scam artist. I won't tell you more, though...

"Beautiful Mind"- another true story, but really good and not boring. "Good Will Hunting"- about a seemingly average guy... Again, anything with Will Smith- "Independence Day," "I Am Legend," can't forget "Men in Black"!

For zombies... I really liked "Shawn of the Dead," and any of the "...Living Dead's"- both old and more recent. I don't know if it's out yet, but the Spanish film, "The Orphanage" is a good one.

I'm a HUGE movie goer, and like most film genres.
Catch Me If You Can is a super film. See, LDC can act! John Voight was his dad, no, the other guy.. the guy from the Fatboy Slim video where he flies around the hotel lobby. Was that a hotel lobby? Anyways.. Oooh I Am Legend left me all hollowed out at the end.. dunno what I was expecting?? Zombies are too gross for me I am afraid! I really can put my hands over my eyes and my thumbs in my ears at the same time, and that is not a good way to spend cinema money!! :) The Orphanage?? Is that a scary one. The title suggests so?? Share some more K my friend, yes?? J

Donnie Darko.
Good choice! :) J

One of my Faves is, "A Razor's Edge" with Bill Murry. I find myself thinking of it often. Give it a try.
sean
Aaahh Sean I cannot find this one for looking. Can you point me to it??? I did like Lost in Translation and him singing the Bryan Ferry choon :) J

Mystic River or The Departed might fit for you. "Mad Dog and Glory" was fun and a not-so-obvious role for both DeNiro and Bill Murray. Razor's Edge (another unusual role for Murray). the Godfather.

Eastern Promises. The Village. The Rules of the Game (Chevalier).

Satyricon (it might be "intelligent", maybe that depends on how you receive it and what yo umean by "intellignet")

you might like Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (Liz Taylor and Paul newman) or Long Hot Summer (more Paul Newman). both great "Southern Gothic" style.

I would go with either Mystic River or Eastern Promises, or Long Hot Summer if you are not in the mood for crime drama.
Hey there :) thank you for these. Another vote for Razor's Edge. I cannot seem to locate it, can you point me to it? Satyricon I have not heard of and which is good!! Thank you! Intelligent? I think I have watched an intelligent film if I have not ended up doing wrist stretches or bowling my M&Ms down the aisle half way through :) .. maybe something with dark humour or impressive acting or clever scripting.. have you ever seen a film called Local Hero?? I think it was a British film, old 80s stuff, though it did have Burt Lancaster as cameo and Denis Lawson (Ewan MacGregor's real life uncle and you can hear the accent) and but that was a really cleverly written script, sly humour and an inspiring ending.. that kind of thing.. I am not looking much.. and the moon on a stick please :D Thank you for your suggestions.. you certainly have a lot of diverse films under your belt! :) J

The Professional (Jean Reno)
Strange Days (Ralph Fiennes)
Blade Runner
The Hunted (w/ Christopher Lambert, John Lone) - one of the best samurai movies around, IMO

Didn't see these in the above, and they're some of my favorites... along with Usual Suspects, Memento, etc.
Oooh Jean Reno.. yes I like whatever he does.. Ronin, Leon.. I think he did MI too if I am not mistaken now that is what I am talking about !! Thank you also for these my friend :) J

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey my friend :) oooh I did not like 28 Days was it not a little tooo grim?? You have a stronger constitution than I!! Dogday Afternoon, I checked imdb, this is the one with Pacino?? Hmmm.. Pacino as a gay bank robber? Pacino?? Man that is an unusual find for sure! I will go check it :) Thank you J

Yes, 28 is pretty grim, maybe that's what I liked about it. Been sort of "into" the apocalyptic/end of civilization sort of novels and whatnot lately and this just fit right in.

Dogday with Pacino, you wouldn't know he's gay until the right time in the movie. It's very well done and rather funny in it's own sort of way. Do check it out, I think you won't be disappointed.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey my friend :) oooh I did not like 28 Days was it not a little tooo grim?? You have a stronger constitution than I!!

"28 Days" was excellent. One of the best of it's genre. "28 Weeks" was less great, trying to do an Alien-to-Aliens type sequel, changing up from suspense to action and not quite managing it.

Hey Suke.. Man I just KNEW you would pick The Last Samurai!! ha! Yes, a great show absolutely! And but I would have to take Jet Li Fearless instead and but do not slice me up that is just my opinion :)

I can be so predictable sometimes :lol:

Oooh Tears of the Sun is good Monica Bellucci...

Mmm ... Monica Bellucci ... ahem ... erm .. sorry ... where was I? :D

that reminds me of what was the name of the one with Owen Wilson where his plane ditched in former Jugoslav .. Gene Hackman too I think.. I cannot remember the name but good show

"Behind Enemy Lines". It's pretty much a modern remake of a film Hackman did a while ago called "Bat21" - that is also very much worth a watch.

Oh and how could I have forgotten about "Ronin"?! That's a 10 out of 10 movie.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
"28 Days" was excellent. One of the best of it's genre. "28 Weeks" was less great, trying to do an Alien-to-Aliens type sequel, changing up from suspense to action and not quite managing it.

I see your point, but I really liked 28 weeks. I felt it was an appropriate next step for the impending disaster...
icon10.gif

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"The Other Sister", a truly wonderful movie about a young girl with a cognitive disability becoming a woman - and having to fight her family for her own life the whole way. One of my favorites.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Catch Me If You Can is a super film. See, LDC can act! John Voight was his dad, no, the other guy.. the guy from the Fatboy Slim video where he flies around the hotel lobby. Was that a hotel lobby? Anyways.. Oooh I Am Legend left me all hollowed out at the end.. dunno what I was expecting?? Zombies are too gross for me I am afraid! I really can put my hands over my eyes and my thumbs in my ears at the same time, and that is not a good way to spend cinema money!! :) The Orphanage?? Is that a scary one. The title suggests so?? Share some more K my friend, yes?? J

Good choice! :) J

Then again, of course, I have what I could watch over and over again: "Ever After," "3 Musketeers" (90's version).... Oh my- I really could go on for a very long time, especially when they're not overloaded with special effects. I even could list off some really old ones. But, I'll leave my list as- is.

"The Orphanage" seems to be really scary at first, but only until towards the end, where things kind of fall in place. Then, it's not so scary- just suspenseful and sad.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you want to go for intelligent with a bit of a mind bend try "The Night Porter" or "A Night at the Opera".
"Metropolis" is a classic and amazing!
"Ju Dou " is breathtaking and very good
My favorite film is " The Art and Architecture of Doom" a study of how the both what was promoted and banned during 1932-1945 in Germany reflected the political landscape. Ok that may be a bit heavy.
Go for Metropolis!!
Lori

Latest Discussions