Intelligent film / movie ??????

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If anyone has not watched "Metropolis" yet, then it really is a good one. For 'modern' film-viewers it might not click because it's pacing and story-telling is done with stage-craft rather than screen-craft.

However, if you choose the more recently remastered version, with soundtrack by Queen, then the music should keep you engaged as the story unfolds.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
• Try Pan's Labyrinth (in Spanish w/ subtitles!) If you like it, try The Devil's Backbone. Not quite as good as Pan's, but still very similar.

• Add my voice to those suggesting Kurosawa films — especially Seven Samurai.

It was "on my list" when it came on one night uncut (they even left in the 20 minute intermission!) on some movie classic channel. I ended up staying up to something like 3 a.m. because I just HAD to see the ending. A compelling watch, even with subtitles. (Rashomon followed it.. I considered watching it too and calling in sick to work the next day :D)

I also really liked Yojimbo and Sanjuro. Mifune is the man!

• "Soylent Green" is one of those movies that for some crazy reason (couldn't find a babysitter?) my parents took me to see when I was just a little feller. I still get a creeped-out feeling when some of those images pop into my mind.

• "Jack Human" hehehehehe. I'll have use that one ;) He is one of my GF's favorite screen hunks, so I've been calling him "Huff Jackson" (so often that I've actually got her slipping up and calling him that half the time ;) )

• If you got a spare 7 mins, try

I hear the writer is BRILLIANT and extremely good looking! (although he doesn't appear in the film ...) ;) ;) :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If anyone has not watched "Metropolis" yet, then it really is a good one. For 'modern' film-viewers it might not click because it's pacing and story-telling is done with stage-craft rather than screen-craft.

However, if you choose the more recently remastered version, with soundtrack by Queen, then the music should keep you engaged as the story unfolds.

I've wanted to watch that movie for a while. I've heard that its an absolutely seminal peice as it inspired a lot of the science fiction we see now days.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh yea: Ever watch Clerks?

Clerks II is also pretty good.. but on the raunchy side, too.

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score

I thought it was a marvelous film...but I also went to a high school of the arts and majored in drama....so maybe that is part of it?

Has anyone mentioned a Clockwork orange?

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Has anyone mentioned a Clockwork orange?
Hey Shana :) I always thought the most fascinating thing about Clockwork Orange was the whole Wendy / Walter Carlos oddity.. I think that was even more queer than the movie itself.. I love that old synth music.. Sorry, digression.. :) J

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I've been more into TV series than movies recently, if you have 13 hours to spare, try the first season of "The Wire" or "Rome," you won't regret it.

Lamont

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An interesting point, Blindside. A lot of creative quality comes out in series these days - tho' of course the Dreaded Bean Counters of Doom often dispatch good concepts before they've had a chance to flower :(.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love the idea that the very English films we make over here are appreciated ( and understood) 'over there'!

Ah now Simon Pegg is an interest we have in common then, yay! And I would not have thought he would have translated way across the ocean and but yes Hot Fuzz is just the funniest and wierdest, well after Shaun of the Dead.. your brain is farting?? I would take a big plate of tuna pasta bake, the tuna will boost your tryptophan and the pasta will make you drowsy and then you will sleep soundly and your brain will fart no more :) And thank you for these my friend :) J

I never really used to be into watching "foreign films" when I was younger, but things change... Also, I think generally speaking, any foreign film was placed a little far out of U.S. made films, therefore not many people would buy them or rent them. It also helps that a few have made it into our mainstream theaters.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shadow of the Vampire is a fascinating take on the vampire mythology that plays off of Nosferatu, and Willem Dafoe is amazing in it. Highly recommended.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm splitting my time at the moment between Martial Talk and "A Bridge Too Far" (1977) Dirk Bogarde, James Caan, Sean Connery and a host of other big names from that era. It's a good WWII film with humor in all the right spots. I always recommend Sands of Iwo Jima (1949) John Wayne and The Flying Leathernecks (1951) John Wayne. Being a huge fan of the Duke and a former US Marine it'd be almost blasphemous of me not to like those two.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good choices, Jeff. "A Bridge Too Far" is a particular favourite of mine.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Jen, If your going for "raw" grab them by the limbic region and shake violently till they run screaming, then grab the NIght Porter. I still get bitched out for "subjecting" (their word) friends to this flick. The NIght Porter makes The Machinist look Mr. Rodgers.
Smart but odd British film, very very quirky is "Brazil".
Lori

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey Shana :) I always thought the most fascinating thing about Clockwork Orange was the whole Wendy / Walter Carlos oddity.. I think that was even more queer than the movie itself.. I love that old synth music.. Sorry, digression.. :) J
hmmm...and now I think I'll have to put it on my netflix list again and re-watch.....thanks!:)

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is an oddly quirky Dutch film, with a very black sense of humour that kinda grows on ya: Antonia's Line. For older films To Kill a Mockingbird and Streetcar Named Desire (for different reasons) are both good flicks. I'd also recommend Juno and Dogma if you're looking for something with more modern flair.

Let us know what you watch and if you like it! I love hearing your opinions Jenna!

Shana,

Thanks for the recommendation of Antonia's Line. Got it from Netflix and the wife and thoroughly enjoyed it. If ya have any other suggestions let me know.

Latest Discussions