Information Behind Siu Lim Tao

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm forever staying behind in class and asking a tonne of questions, as well as asking if my form is correct in terms of movement.
How can it have no meaning? What use to me is knowing the form if I can't dissect it and know the name and correct application of it outside the form?

I just thought as this a forum for Wing Chun, you'd be able to help me with the basic functions of certain moves. Not in depth, but explaining to me why you Huen Sau, or something like that.

Don't just ask questions or if your form is correct, have your teacher SHOW you, if he/she is not doing that or just give you the "piece meal" ... either he don't know or just holding out for longer monthly dues.

I can safely say you knows just little more than the movements of the form, understand every aspects of it takes time and hard work ... you can't dissect it when you haven't the understanding of it.

That's just a few of them , for more applications you will have to purchase my upcoming five volume set of Dvd's titled HUEN SAU FOR DUMMIES for the amazing low price of only $850.99 available at all good DVD stockists (and some bad ones too)

That's a good one Mook, but should he not have gotten that from his teacher?:hmm: He did paid his dues after all.

OP
W

WC-Sam

White Belt
Reaction score
It does have meaning. It's just that it is a deeper meaning than can be adequately conveyed thru a quick forum like this. Just hearing the words doesn't give it meaning. Digging deeper, over time, will bring the meaning out and THEN the words will make sense. But that takes time and work and a good teacher.

but that kind of thing has no meaning on a superficial level.

The best way I learn is through finding out why its used first, it's purpose is more important to me than the physical aspect. If i understand its purpose, then I feel I learn better executing it.
Then seeing how it works it something else. If you disagree then fine, but I dont see why I cant be told some simple things on here, Im enthusiastic enough to try and learn outside the class.

You say "Then the words will make sense" but most of you have refused to throw information my way. If you're not going to tell me then whats the point in lecturing me about spending time of the form.
(Dont tell me why I need to practice the form, I already know)
I may aswell just continue asking my Sifu, most of you seem to not want to share anything.

altbus1

White Belt
Reaction score
Can I ask you for how long you are training WC?
My sifu for example starts with short syllabus before he explains SLT. He isn't holding back but feeds us little by little. He thinks it's better this way to absorb the information. I can understand that you want to understand the SLT but if you give it some time I think your foundations will be better. The first form is I think the longest part to master during your training.

Greetz

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The best way I learn is through finding out why its used first, it's purpose is more important to me than the physical aspect. If i understand its purpose, then I feel I learn better executing it.
Then seeing how it works it something else. If you disagree then fine, but I dont see why I cant be told some simple things on here, Im enthusiastic enough to try and learn outside the class.

You say "Then the words will make sense" but most of you have refused to throw information my way. If you're not going to tell me then whats the point in lecturing me about spending time of the form.
I may aswell just continue asking my Sifu, most of you seem to not want to share anything.

I don't know you, I don't know your shifu and I don't know your shigung but I will tell you this about some of the old school CMA teachers (particularly those trained in China) or those sifu trained by old school guys.

They know better than you do as to what you are ready to understand and learn and they expect you to work on what they gave shown you and when they believe you are ready they will explain and/or show you more. Until they know you are ready all asking does is frustrate you. Took me a few years to figure that one out, but when I did things got easier and I got better.

The flip side of that however is that your sifu may not know and if that is the case….leave and find another school.

izeqb

Orange Belt
Reaction score

I understand where you are coming from... I'm the same way...
What usually happen when I'm about to learn something new, my instructor show me how it's done, how it should feel etc. then we practice this stuff for a long time and even though my body may start to "remember" the feelings/movements, it isn't untill I mentally "get it" that it all comes together...

I guess some people need to be able to explain it, before they understand it... Some of us learn by doing, some by watching and some by understanding the concepts. For me, personally, wing chun is an intelligent system and I like to understand the concepts behind the stuff I'm doing... it gives me a kind of auto-correct feature :)'

It's not that people won't share... If you look around and read other threads, you'll find that some of the people that has playfully bashed you around, are some of the most helpful guys here on the forum.

The things is that you didn't asked the right questions... In your opening post, you asked like 20 questions at once.

Instead, ask about specific stuff and I'm sure you'll get the help you're after. Another thing, did you watch the videos? If not, do so...!

Edit: just saw your reply in a earlier post, regarding the videos :)

If you want people to share their "gems", start by sharing some of your own findings first, it often helps :)

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Don't be discouraged, especially if this is the first time you've ever been on a forum. It's just that there's a lot of people asking questions that they don't realize have other implications or that well, should be answered within their own practice and sifu. If you want additional info, better you can practice learning how to use the search on the forum too. It's a good tool and might have answered some questions even without needing to ask. If searching still can't find it, you can always try asking on the forum. But if you want more indepth stuff that well, should be learned from your teacher, you'd better ask him/her. Otherwise you can PM me and I'll tell you what you want to know for a reasonable fee ;-)

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
SLT is a tool used to teach you proper body mechanics and structure. In my opinion, it is a mistake to look for techniques and hidden voodoo hoodoo within the form. If you want to learn what the form is supposed to teach you then do the form many, many, MANY, times with great precision until your body does it naturally. At that point, you will "get" what the form has to teach you. Until then it is all theorycraft, and as such, next to useless. Don't make things more complicated than they have to be. Learning Wing Chun is hard enough without adding to it.

There is a lot to Wing Chun, but the truth is, until you absorb it into your mind and body we could tell you every little detail about it that we know, but you would not truly understand what we were telling you.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
As the title says, I'd like to know all of the information behind Siu Lim Tao.
Everything from, why you Fut Sau, what it means, and how it's used outside of the form, to the double Tan Sau. Every possible piece of information that their is to be known on the moves featured in Siu Lim Tao.

Aswell as the fundamentals of SLT. e.g Training your root, chi energy etc.

Ofcourse I understand, that their may or may not be certain moves featured in my lineage.

Thanks for any input!

Move to Greenville/Spartanburg SC, pay me $5,000, and train with me for 5 years, then you will know all you need to know about Siu Nim Tao. It's that easy.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Move to Greenville/Spartanburg SC, pay me $5,000, and train with me for 5 years, then you will know all you need to know about Siu Nim Tao. It's that easy.

Are you out of your mind? It'll way less expensive just buy all of Mook's INSTRUCTIONAL DVDs. :hammer:

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are you out of your mind? It'll way less expensive just buy all of Mook's INSTRUCTIONAL DVDs. :hammer:
I forgot to mention they also come with a free complimentary autographed poster of me performing the Siu Nim Tao in the nude , so that you can observe how well developed my "root" is.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I forgot to mention they also come with a free complimentary autographed poster of me performing the Siu Nim Tao in the nude , so that you can observe how well developed my "root" is.

Buyer beware warning: DON'T open or look at the poster! It may cause you to go blind ... however, the up tick is that you'll never ever needed blind fold to perform master level chi sao. :p

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score

True, true, it would be much cheaper. But just remember, you get what you pay for. $5000 and you get lots of personal training or you can opt for 2 DVD's, and a poster of a naked man.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score

I'm trying to remain professional here :) Killed me.

mesar

White Belt
Reaction score
http://wcats.com/WCLessons/SLT/SLTmove1-3.php
Lot of good information on that site.
Siu Nim Tao is relative. What you first learn, you'll apply differently as your training progresses. You'll discover things within the form, nuances you didn't see at first. Or different ways of looking at it. I first started looking for angles, geometry, now I look for concepts, principles.

Jean Marais

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That is a dissapointing response. Every major religion in the world had a tomb codifying its teachings even if it is open to literal and or metaphorical interperatation(s). Ironically, not a single martial arts system I know of has sought to put to paper it's teachings in this way in the modern age. With the mediums other than paper available to us in this age, this is inexusable. Living and practicing is a far better teacher than reading, but reading could greatly suppliment the learning. I too would go about learning the forms by first understanding them.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a dissapointing response. Every major religion in the world had a tomb codifying its teachings even if it is open to literal and or metaphorical interperatation(s). Ironically, not a single martial arts system I know of has sought to put to paper it's teachings in this way in the modern age. With the mediums other than paper available to us in this age, this is inexusable. Living and practicing is a far better teacher than reading, but reading could greatly suppliment the learning. I too would go about learning the forms by first understanding them.
It's a bit off topic in this thread -- but that's quite far from accurate. Many Japanese arts have scrolls of teachings that are for the most senior students; in fact, The Book of Five Rings is one of them! There are extensive books about Karate (like Karate-do Kyohan), and many other arts have lots of writings about them. American Kenpo has their Big Red Book...

In fact... I think I'm stealing your question and topic and taking them over to the General Martial Arts to see how many we can come up with!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
There are books in traditional Chinese marital arts with history but historically they were not made public, they were copied by a student with permission of his shifu.

Beyond that making an art public, in writing, was not always in the best interests of the shifu. Also take into account even Chinese religions did not write things down until later. Originally they too depended in their rights, training and history being passed on by word of mouth, teacher to student

Latest Discussions