Infected toe

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ok, I am well aware i should go to the Dr, However my husband and i are both un emoplyed at the moment and money is tight to say the least. So its really not an option ...

So here is my problem, I have an infected toe, i had an ingrown toenail removed and the site has became infected. Does anyone have any idea how i can at home treat this. So far i have soaked it in ebsome salt, applied triple antibiotic ointment and and taking lots of garlic (started that today as today was when it became notably worse) I have suspected it has been infected for a few weeks now but only today did it start to leak out puss like stuff when squeezed ( i have been checking it daily) it however has been red and poofy for a few weeks.

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd say you are doing about everything you can safey at this point on your own. Keep it clean and make sure the infection does not spread. Even with money being tight I would get in and see a Doc ASAP.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BJ,

My ex and I were without insurance when I had a similar issue. I went to the podiatrist and told him my situation and asked for a payment plan and he gave it to me, referred me to the clinic for oral meds.

Do the same.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tea Tree Oil should kill about anything. Vinegar and a couple of other herbs and such. My teacher told me use Tea tree oil. Saw a couple use some strong vinegar to kill some fungus on their foot pretty cool.
all othe Herbal formulas I can not think of right now and I also hate giving them out online.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
infections most always need to be cleaned.
if there is a piece of nail stuck inside or more likely if the nail continues to grow inside, you have to physicaly remove it by either cutting it away or lifting it out by stuffing something like cotton under. you can get an idea of just how bad it is by lifting the nail a bit and seeing how much pain/ infection there is.

although i haven't had this condition since my early teens, i actually helped a few people who had it. -but one of them was too chicken to get completely healed.

infection needs to be cleaned. it won't get better unless space is created and the missshapen nail that is pressing down on side must be removed. you can cut away at it slowly little by little.
many doctors will actually remove a piece of your nail from the base nailbed. i think this sucks because it will permanently change the appearance of your nail by making it less wide. unless the infection is at the very base of the nail and very bad, i would not opt for that. most likely, the nail can be cut away and lifted out.- also, there may be pieces of detached nail causing infection. that is why, the entire area needs to be cleaned. for this procedure, a bottle of disinfectant and some sharp tools tweezers and tools for scraping, be in order.

the nail can be considered a foreign object.

j

setboy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If it was me, I would soak my feet in Tea Tree Oil, Vinegar, Hydrogen Peroxide, chamomile tea, or a combination of all/some of them. I would soak up to there times a day.

Raphael

OP
BrandiJo

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
infections most always need to be cleaned.
if there is a piece of nail stuck inside or more likely if the nail continues to grow inside, you have to physicaly remove it by either cutting it away or lifting it out by stuffing something like cotton under. you can get an idea of just how bad it is by lifting the nail a bit and seeing how much pain/ infection there is.

although i haven't had this condition since my early teens, i actually helped a few people who had it. -but one of them was too chicken to get completely healed.

infection needs to be cleaned. it won't get better unless space is created and the missshapen nail that is pressing down on side must be removed. you can cut away at it slowly little by little.
many doctors will actually remove a piece of your nail from the base nailbed. i think this sucks because it will permanently change the appearance of your nail by making it less wide. unless the infection is at the very base of the nail and very bad, i would not opt for that. most likely, the nail can be cut away and lifted out.- also, there may be pieces of detached nail causing infection. that is why, the entire area needs to be cleaned. for this procedure, a bottle of disinfectant and some sharp tools tweezers and tools for scraping, be in order.

the nail can be considered a foreign object.

j

I have already had the infected nail removed by a Dr. still paying on that bill (ouch) the problem is the site became infected after wards. How would you recommend cleaning it out if there is no nail there to be removed?

I have peroxide and rubbing alcohol on hand Vinegar i can pick up from the store rather cheaply .. not sure about tea tree oil.. if i remember right that come in a small vial and is rather spendy. But i will try a foot soak of the vinegar tmrw .. thats for the advice all :) keep it coming please, id rather nip this now then have it become painful again.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hey.

, you'd have to see how infected it is. it's worth it to give it a shot. if you make sure to disinfect with alchohol, iodine. -i'm not such a fan of peroxide myself i would rather take some kind of highpercentage alchohol beverage.
whatever, the opinions will be differernt for this.

last time i had to do some disinfecting on myself, it was my fingers after three days of archery. i had to make around 50 little pokes and cuts, because i was too chicken and unwilling to make one bigone. the problem was that it wasn't an real infection yet, but if was starting and swollen and painful already.
my worst infection was after a bout of antibiotics where i didn't follow the instructions and finish the course. so now i know why to finish the antibiotics. i had to learn the hard way.

sorry, this has nothing to do with it. but infections, need to be cleaned, meaning, they need to be bleed out. you need to remove all the nasty stuff scraping and cutting until you have a fresh wound again bleeding preferably flowing with fresh clean blood. then you can disinfect and close it up again in a clean way. there is no better way.

basically, you have a wound there that is infected. so start to reopen that wound and allow it to bleed out fully. all the infected parts should be removed and the entire area disinfected.

j

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The doctor who did the procedure will need to know it's infected, BrandiJo - have you called him/her?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have already had the infected nail removed by a Dr. still paying on that bill (ouch) the problem is the site became infected after wards.

Go back to him. This is part of the treatment of that nail and he should at least look at it as part of your normal follow-up care. Check with his nurse first but argue that there was a problem and he needs to check and make sure that it isn't a result of the initial care. At the least, call and ask.

In these days of MRSA it's worth being on antibiotics if it's gone on this long. More than just a toe is at risk.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with shesulsa - you need to contact the doctor who removed the ingrown toenail in the first place. Many doctors consider infections that follow treatment to be part of the same issue, and the office visit cost is either greatly reduced or eliminated. Since you're already on a payment plan with this doctor, that would be the person to follow up with; s/he is already aware of the source of the concern, and should be open to prescribing antibiotics, as well as to extending the payment plan if needed. If it's as bad as you say it is, external treatment is probably not going to be enough; it sounds like the infection is already well established.

Also, while the topical and internal remedies you're using are, individually, not expensive, over time they're going to add up to a cost as significant as medical treatment, and are likely to take longer and be less effective. Get this taken care of now, before it gets worse and requires even more - and more expensive - treatment.

If you're unable to see the doctor who performed the original removal for whatever reason, check in your local area for free/reduced cost clinics - they specialize in under- and uninsured patients, and will be willing to set up a payment plan for you. But I would still start with the doctor who removed the toenail in the first place.

Keep us up to date on what you've done and how you're doing.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes by all means go back to the original doctor and let him finished what he started or she, sorry bad habit always referring to a him.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Like others have said -- go back to the original doctor. At the very least, he or she should be able to give you a prescription for antibiotics, and possibly even some samples to at least start the treatment. The doctor may also be able to refer you to a low cost/free clinic or other options to get the meds.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes by all means go back to the original doctor and let him finished what he started or she, sorry bad habit always referring to a him

this may well be the wisest course of action whatever you end up doing.

j

OP
BrandiJo

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My first Dr is in Nebraska and my husband and i just moved to Oregon :(

Any one from the Portland area wanna recommend a clinic or something preferably with a sliding pay scale? or a personal Dr who is rather understanding?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't recommend a doctor - but I would recommend calling the first doctor and explaining the situation to him - he may well be able to prescribe something for you over the phone; if he can't, what have you lost? I'd just be sure you know the name and number of a local pharmacy.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My first Dr is in Nebraska and my husband and i just moved to Oregon :(

Any one from the Portland area wanna recommend a clinic or something preferably with a sliding pay scale? or a personal Dr who is rather understanding?

I'll do some asking around for you, BrandiJo

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't recommend a doctor - but I would recommend calling the first doctor and explaining the situation to him - he may well be able to prescribe something for you over the phone; if he can't, what have you lost? I'd just be sure you know the name and number of a local pharmacy.
Or, if he's unwilling to prescribe something over the phone (and I wouldn't blame him), he very likely knows a doctor in your area. He may be able to arrange for that doctor to handle the follow up with you.

OP
BrandiJo

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I found a few free clinics in the area i will give them a call monday and see if they are able to help me out.