Infected toe

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I found a few free clinics in the area i will give them a call monday and see if they are able to help me out.

Good! Oregon licenses naturopaths who are often much cheaper and more likely to have a sliding scale but are also much mor elimited in scope of practice.

Don't forget nurse practitioners--again, less expensive, but in the mainstream and (under physician supervision) able to prescribe broadly.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
medication alone will not solve the problem. if the infection is not treated directly, it will most likely get worse and worse. when it's so bad that even sleep is impossible, that would be the latest one should wait to seek a doctor. if a smaller infection is not treated for a long time, the lymph nodes closest to the infection may swell up. like at armpit for arms, inner theigh for legs top of jawline for head. that would also be a warning sign.
but normally, it would take a very long time for it to get really dangerous.

depending also on the type of infection. in the case of an infected toe, it is about the safest place you could have an infection. however, any infection can pose risks of eventually becoming too intensely developed and even spreading.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
The advice you've gotten so far is excellent. I'd like to add a couple pieces if you're doing your own treatment for the moment...

1. There's an old medical saying - "Piss and pus must be drained".
  2. Antibiotics at the feed store come off the same assembly line as the ones in the drugstore. The difference in price can be an order of magnitude.
  3. Some people are still getting onto the Oregon Health Plan.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would not normally reccomend this course of action, but in extreme circumstances it calls for extreme measures. Do you have anybody in your family with some leftover antibiotics, ie. keflex, cephlexan,...? You may want to get them and start taking them. Infections get out of control very quickly. I had a cut go to a Staph infection and landed me in the hospital.

OP
BrandiJo

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would not normally reccomend this course of action, but in extreme circumstances it calls for extreme measures. Do you have anybody in your family with some leftover antibiotics, ie. keflex, cephlexan,...? You may want to get them and start taking them. Infections get out of control very quickly. I had a cut go to a Staph infection and landed me in the hospital.

my family is all in the Midwest. However i have an appointment for Tuesday 7PM at the local free clinic, so i should be ok.. and they have a sliding pay scale so it looks like sense im unemployed it will be a donate if you can type thing ... so we should be good there too :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Apart from the entire issue of this being illegal... it's also dangerous and unwise. All taking random, partial courses of antibiotics is likely to do is produce antibiotic resistant infections.

Short term, laymen's treatment should be limited to keeping it clean, and possibly using OTC treatments like triple antibiotic cream (Neosporin, etc) or other topical antibiotics, like hydrogen peroxide, Mercurochrome, and so on.

If the infection is dramatically worse, or is causing fevers, etc, go to the ER. Just about every ER will treat you and collect later. Many hospitals will work payment plans out with you.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Apart from the entire issue of this being illegal... it's also dangerous and unwise. All taking random, partial courses of antibiotics is likely to do is produce antibiotic resistant infections.

Short term, laymen's treatment should be limited to keeping it clean, and possibly using OTC treatments like triple antibiotic cream (Neosporin, etc) or other topical antibiotics, like hydrogen peroxide, Mercurochrome, and so on.

If the infection is dramatically worse, or is causing fevers, etc, go to the ER. Just about every ER will treat you and collect later. Many hospitals will work payment plans out with you.

That is why I said I would not normally rec. that course of action. But getting a blood poisoning is the lesser of the two IMO.

OP
BrandiJo

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
ok, so i went in... they poked and squeezed at it and made it even more oozy :( gave me a 7day supply of antibiotics eww cipro and im supposed to keep soaking it in ebsome salt twice a day and rinse it with peroxide and rubbing alcohol in the morning.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have peroxide and rubbing alcohol on hand Vinegar i can pick up from the store rather cheaply .. not sure about tea tree oil.. if i remember right that come in a small vial and is rather spendy. But i will try a foot soak of the vinegar tmrw .. thats for the advice all :) keep it coming please, id rather nip this now then have it become painful again.

Epsom salt soaks, as hot as you can stand. Check that, hotter than you can stand.

Tea Tree oil is a few bucks, but so little goes so far. Worth the investment.

Worst Case Scenario, soaking it, softening all that crap up, and debreding it may be what you need to do. Get all that dead crap outta there that's holding in the infection, let the pressure off. It'll hurt, esp since it's already so tender, but sometimes it has to be done.

I would recommend getting this done by a medical professional. Maybe a nurse or paramedic friend.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ok, so i went in... they poked and squeezed at it and made it even more oozy :( gave me a 7day supply of antibiotics eww cipro and im supposed to keep soaking it in ebsome salt twice a day and rinse it with peroxide and rubbing alcohol in the morning.

Great the antibiotics will differently help, let us know how it is going in a couple of days.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I'm glad you went in - keep it clean, soak it as much as you can stand, and make sure it's able to drain; all that stuff has to go somewhere.

Feel better soon!

OP
BrandiJo

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
ok finished the antibiotics a few days ago, and im still soaking it once a day and going at it with peroxide and rubbing alcohol. It is looking much better, its not nearly as red and poofy, but i can still get stuff to drain from it. It bleeds now too when i drain the icky stuff out, a good sign iv been told. Yay :)

Oh yes and the rubbing alcohol burns like no other now ~ a new development from when i first started doing it.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
The blood and the burning are good signs under the circumstances. Glad it's being taken care of.

Latest Discussions