I'm sorry, but this whole "Anti-Grappling" thing horrifies me

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I actually haven't seen very many videos of strikers knocking grapplers out.
Just do a youtube search for top strikers in the UFC or Top MMA strikers you'll see.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are no strikers in the ufc who aren't also competent grapplers.
Look at the method in which they are beating their opponents. It's about what they are strongest in that determines if they are strikers or grapplers. Anderson Silva knows grappling but you can tell by his fights that he know and understands his strengths as a striker.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Look at the method in which they are beating their opponents. It's about what they are strongest in that determines if they are strikers or grapplers. Anderson Silva knows grappling but you can tell by his fights that he know and understands his strengths as a striker.
how do you think Floyd may weather would do in an Mma match against anyone in the ufc? I think he would have zero chance of winning because he is not well rounded. Terrific pure boxer. One dimensional mixed martial artist. He would be next to helpless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
how do you think Floyd may weather would do in an Mma match against anyone in the ufc? I think he would have zero chance of winning because he is not well rounded. Terrific pure boxer. One dimensional mixed martial artist. He would be next to helpless.
Really? that doesn't make sense. You are picking someone from an entirely different sport where kicking, throwing, tripping, elbows, kneeing, and sweeping is not allowed and then put that person in a fight where it is allowed. That's not even a comparison. If I asked how would a grappler do against Floyd May Weather if the grappler had to follow boxing rules? You'll be all upset that the scenario takes the grappler out of his element.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Really? that doesn't make sense. You are picking someone from an entirely different sport where kicking, throwing, tripping, elbows, kneeing, and sweeping is not allowed and then put that person in a fight where it is allowed. That's not even a comparison. If I asked how would a grappler do against Floyd May Weather if the grappler had to follow boxing rules? You'll be all upset that the scenario takes the grappler out of his element.
The point is that there are no pure strikers or pure grapplers competing at an elite level in MMA. They are all well rounded. You take a pure striker, even one of the best ever, and drop him in MMA, and it's ridiculous. As you say, it doesn't even make sense. :)

A pure grappler would flounder, as well. Remember, my comment was in response to your post suggesting that the UFC has a lot of examples of strikers defeating grapplers. I disagree, and am asserting that anyone at an elite level of MMA is well rounded. Further, the grappling skills create opportunity for effective striking, and vice versa.

And I've still not seen very many (can't recall any) videos of a competent striker with no grappling experience ever knocking out a competent grappler with no striking experience. I've seen plenty of videos of the converse, where grapplers take advantage of striker's discomfort in a clinch or on the ground. I'm sure there are some out there, and wouldn't mind taking a look.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The point is that there are no pure strikers or pure grapplers competing at an elite level in MMA
I never said that there were pure strikers or grapplers in MMA.

They are all well rounded. You take a pure striker, even one of the best ever, and drop him in MMA, and it's ridiculous
If you put a pure grappler in a boxing ring and have that grappler fight according to boxing rules, then the grappler will rule. It doesn't have anything about being well rounded because the MMA and Boxing have different rules. Put an well rounded MMA fighter into a boxing ring with a professional boxer, fighting by boxing rules, then that MMA fighter will be at a disadvantage. Trying to compare the 2 fighters makes no sense, not because of the skill level but because they aren't the same sports.

I disagree, and am asserting that anyone at an elite level of MMA is well rounded.
This doesn't matter either the fact that people get KOed in MMA means that striking is going one. If Anderson Silva hits knocks out a fighter with a kick, elbow, knee, or a punch then that means striking is happening. It doesn't matter if he has a ground game or not because it was the strike that caused the KO.

And I've still not seen very many (can't recall any) videos of a competent striker with no grappling experience ever knocking out a competent grappler with no striking experience.
Once again. If Anderson Silva knocks out a fighter with a kick, elbow, knee, or a punch then it's the striking that knocked him out not the grappling.

If you and I were to get into a fight and you punched me in my face and knocked me out. It was your striking that did it, and not your ground game.

The fact that there are KO's in MMA means that someone is striking.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you knock someone out with a punch, kick, elbow, or knee then that is striking. It doesn't matter what grappling skills they have, it was the striking skills that knocked them out. If you knock someone out without punching, kicking, elbowing, or kneeing the it's the grappling skills that knocked them out.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
1st round knock outs

Gracie Fighter knocked out while trying to grapple

More KO, caused by striking

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
More KOs caused by striking not Grappling

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score

I'd pay to see Ronda Rousey kick his butt. Or Chuck Norris.

Last edited:

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
The point is that there are no pure strikers or pure grapplers competing at an elite level in MMA. They are all well rounded. You take a pure striker, even one of the best ever, and drop him in MMA, and it's ridiculous. As you say, it doesn't even make sense. :)

A pure grappler would flounder, as well. Remember, my comment was in response to your post suggesting that the UFC has a lot of examples of strikers defeating grapplers. I disagree, and am asserting that anyone at an elite level of MMA is well rounded. Further, the grappling skills create opportunity for effective striking, and vice versa.

And I've still not seen very many (can't recall any) videos of a competent striker with no grappling experience ever knocking out a competent grappler with no striking experience. I've seen plenty of videos of the converse, where grapplers take advantage of striker's discomfort in a clinch or on the ground. I'm sure there are some out there, and wouldn't mind taking a look.
You got to admit well rounded MMA strikers are way more fun to watch in the UFC. Although black belt level straight grappling is pretty cool like this.

Grappling in the UFC, or lower level tends to be pretty boring.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If you knock someone out with a punch, kick, elbow, or knee then that is striking. It doesn't matter what grappling skills they have, it was the striking skills that knocked them out. If you knock someone out without punching, kicking, elbowing, or kneeing the it's the grappling skills that knocked them out.
I understand now and disagree that it doesn't matter in Mma what grappling skills someone has. I don't understand how you could think otherwise.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes, but what if? She would grab his butt and slam him on the concrete.
I can't stand Floyd so anyone that can pound him would be entertaining. He's got the attitude that makes people what to hit him in his mouth. What surprises me the most is that Floyd calls out Rhonda out of all of the MMA fighters out there. That's the one he's got to prove something to.

Him losing to a woman would do justice to destroying his ego.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
disagree that it doesn't matter in Mma what grappling skills someone has
This is what you say

If Anderson Silva hits knocks out a fighter with a kick, elbow, knee, or a punch then that means striking is happening. It doesn't matter if he has a ground game or not because it was the strike that caused the KO.
This is what I'm saying.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
JowGaWolf, you should really watch the first Chael Sonnen vs Anderson Silva fight. Here you had a wrestler, Chael Sonnen, swarm Silva throughout the entire fight. The only thing that saved Silva was his extensive background in Bjj. Through that, he was able to utilize the guard to neutralize Sonnen's size and wrestling advantage, and ended up tapping him out with a triangle choke.

That is a textbook example of someone who is known for striking in MMA showcasing the fact that just about every fighter in elite MMA is either a high level wrestler, or a purple to black belt in Bjj (sometimes both).