Striking and selfdefence with my Sifu

ice84

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi to all group here i post a video for showing you some of my sifu (you can find more new videos on the channel)

you could find him on his fan page too Pietro Di Rauso Facebook and for all info about or asking me

all the best courious to see what do you think about

Best
Vincenzo

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
How different it would be had the attacker thrown the same type and amount of strikes for the attack that the Di Rauso rather than 1 punch and just standing still.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very fast! But I find it curious that he is up on his toes...and leaning the upper body back at the same time!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That was real nice. Don't worry about any replies, everyone's a critic. :) I am, too. The music sucks. :)

As for up on toes and leaning back - you tend to do that when trying to not actually hit when using speed striking (like in a demo), especially against a taller target.

Thanks for posting it, bro.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
The thread title is "Striking and selfdefence [sic] with my Sifu"
Where are the attacks for one to defend against?
Where are the examples of self-defense?
A person presents a single or two punch movement with no intent and the other goes off on a speedy striking outburst against a person just standing with his arms down. Not wanting to be a kill joy but 'That is not self-defense.'

OP
ice84

ice84

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Danny T this is just a demo and my Sifu did the ecercises very fast and with fantastic control like you can see. But like i wrote you could find more videos of my sifu in his YouTube channel sure you like something.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, ice84, I notice that since you joined MartialTalk over a year ago your only postings have been to promote your instructor and his videos. Why not stick around and actually join some of the discussions instead of just trying to advertise for Mr. Di Rauso?

OP
ice84

ice84

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Tony i usually see all the posts of this forum and i think like you can see i have never spamming.. Just i don't like comment masters i don't see from real

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The thread title is "Striking and selfdefence [sic] with my Sifu"
Where are the attacks for one to defend against?
Where are the examples of self-defense?
A person presents a single or two punch movement with no intent and the other goes off on a speedy striking outburst against a person just standing with his arms down. Not wanting to be a kill joy but 'That is not self-defense.'

What I think is a bit more of an issue is the other guy eats a demonstration flurry and his hands just flop down to his waist. Covering doesn't affect the demo. Gives the puncher a bit more to work with. And trains in an "I am eating punches hands up" response.

OP
ice84

ice84

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
first part of video is all about some striking and Selfdefence
About my classmate Christian (rugby player too) he has my same problem.... Our sifu is very fast and you can understand i think only from real you could be shocked but this is just my opionion i suggest to prove directly

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Unlike the "grappling art demo" that you take your opponent down ASAP and start from there, the "striking art demo" always has the same issue. Since you can't show your punching power by knocking your opponent down by one punch, you try to show your speed instead. The concern is, when you make 6 moves, your opponent is still "frozen" and not even moving back, the demo will look un-realistic.

IMO, the best demo should be

- You make 1 move, your opponent responds with 1 move. Your 1 move may be just a little bit faster than your opponent's 1 move. Your opponent's defense fails, your fist meets his face, and knock him down (at least your opponent can pretend that he is knocked down). That will be a clean and realistic "striking art demo".

Last edited:
OP
ice84

ice84

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Unlike the "grappling art demo" that you take your opponent down ASAP and start from there, the "striking art demo" always has the same issue. Since you can't show your punching power by knocking your opponent down by one punch, you try to show your speed instead. The concern is, when you make 6 moves, your opponent is still "frozen" and not even moving back, the demo will look un-realistic.

IMO, the best demo should be

- You make 1 move, your opponent responds with 1 move. Your 1 move may be just a little bit faster than your opponent's 1 move. Your opponent's defense fails, your fist meets his face, and knock him down (at least your opponent can pretend that he is knocked down). That will be a clean and realistic "striking art demo".

maybe this is ok for you ?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But like i told you i suggest to see from real my sifu believe me...

Not very likely though, since we (on Martialtalk) are scattered all over the world. But regardless, I also liked the second demo clip better. However, I'm long past the point where fast and aggressive techniques alone wow me. At my age (almost 60), speed and strength are not increasing. I'm more interested in building on concepts like efficiency, economy and practicality... stuff that can help me improve without asking for the impossible.

Oh, I forgot to mention deviousness. Deviousness and treachery are really important as you get older! ;)

Latest Discussions