I'm sorry, but this whole "Anti-Grappling" thing horrifies me

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No offense, but again another statement that makes no sense? Let say I learn how to drive a car. Later I decide To race in a formula one car. Then I jump in a off-road Baja 1000 truck. Then I decide to race Nascar? Do the principles really changes? Or do I just have to adapt those same principles to that given situation? Of coarse Im not going to get my learners permit this week and next week race top fuel dragsters. But the principles are still there. Principles that fundamentally do not change. Instead are built upon.

On road off road the principles change.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Racing is racing fighting is fighting. If you have a good foundation things don't change much. I like you I agree with a lot you say but, I think you look at things very one dimensional. Through maybe your experiences only?

Last edited:

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just because your Karate didn't work on the ground doesn't mean ground fighting and stand up principles don't OVERLAP. Notice I don't say are exactly the same. There is some adaptation.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Racing is racing fighting is fighting. If you have a good foundation things don't change much. I like you I agree with a lot you say but, I think you look at things very one dimensional. Through maybe your experiences only?

Through my experiences of doing mma which is precisely about bridging the difference between striking and grappling.

Ok. So why do experienced strikers get mauled on the ground?

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
What about actual off road. Could your formula one skills stop you being bogged?
Yes good throttle control and riding the clutch. I'm the wrong guy to argue cars and racing with. Haha I have raced on pavement and off-road.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Through my experiences of doing mma which is precisely about bridging the difference between striking and grappling.

Ok. So why do experienced strikers get mauled on the ground?
Not always. If they are delusional and think they will never end up on the ground yes. But if they train and become comfortable fighting on the ground and adapt no

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think we are too far off the same page here. Overlap overlap overlap. Things don't change that much on the ground if you know energy structure and sensitivity..Last week I was working standard arm bars with grapplers. I could feel openings. I could feel when the pressure goes away a little. I could feel when opponent moves I can take his balance on the ground and escape? Same things I feel on my feet in the clinch?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not always. If they are delusional and think they will never end up on the ground yes. But if they train and become comfortable fighting on the ground and adapt no

What are they adapting if it is the same principles? So side control escape. What is the stand up principle being used.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think we are too far off the same page here. Overlap overlap overlap. Things don't change that much on the ground if you know energy. Last week I was working standard arm bars with grapplers. I could feel openings. I could feel when the pressure goes away a little. I could feel when opponent moves I can take his balance on the ground and escape? Same things I feel on my feet in the clinch?

Which escape were you using? I do the shoot my head between his legs and go into guard or hail Mary roll.

Neither of which I attempt standing.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes good throttle control and riding the clutch. I'm the wrong guy to argue cars and racing with. Haha I have raced on pavement and off-road.

Actual off road? Because there are some specific Skills involved inthat.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Which escape were you using? I do the shoot my head between his legs and go into guard or hail Mary roll.

Neither of which I attempt standing.
You are thinking techniques. So arm bar, lift shoulder press head into mat step over knees together arch hips extend arm thumb up? The step over part requires moving? If I move with you instead of fighting you I can take your balance and move to half guard or whereVer? If I'm standing same principles apply. I don't have a bag of techniques. I have sensitivity. You do to. You do chi sao and you don't even realize your doing it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are thinking techniques. So arm bar, lift shoulder press head into mat step over knees together arch hips extend arm thumb up? The step over part requires moving? If I move with you instead of fighting you I can take your balance and move to half guard or whereVer? If I'm standing same principles apply. I don't have a bag of techniques. I have sensitivity. You do to. You do chi sao and you don't even realize your doing it.

Thumb down if what you are describing is a hail Mary. (I will find a vid)

Sensitivity overlaps. Fitness overlaps,strength overlaps. The issue is you can generalize to the point where the principles match but don't help.

The key to boxing is punching them and not letting them punch you. But it is not very helpful advice.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok. On my other little bug bear I have. Using bjj for anti grapple.

Test the technique works but is this really the go to side control escape you would teach a soldier?

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thumb up for guy doing the arm bar to straighten arm? I like the video.
That's it!! I challenge you to death match? This is the only way we can resolve this!!!! Hopefully I don't get banned.?cause I'm JK!

I'm just playing around, arguing is making my head hurt. Your not wrong . I don't disagree completely. I guess I just look at things in a different and slightly weirder way.

Latest Discussions