I'm so sick of watching stupid kicks MMA

cane56

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I watch MMA to see it evolve. Most of the time I see the expensive mats, all the great gear that I never had. And a bunch of crap on the walls. Today I watched a YouTube video telling me, me that sidekicks don't work! I'm almost 65 and never competed in MMA. But in my Dojo we spared full contact. Sure you were supposed to pull some punches to the head. But times were different then. You wanted to know what you could do when you got rocked. Now this YouTube masterpiece has had 54k people watch it. Sidekicks don't work! I've folded a boxer that was ranked number 8th in the world with a front leg sidekick. This video, if he was taught that, whatever he is doing from a instructor, he should get a full refund. He is throwing this kick and showing no power. How about you twist your back foot and not stay in your horse stance, what if you rotated your hip. Your hip is where the explosion is. Please if your going to make a video, and your going to tell me at 64, with 50 years of practice that sidekicks have no power. Go to college and take a physics class.

OP
cane56

cane56

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I watch MMA to see it evolve. Most of the time I see the expensive mats, all the great gear that I never had. And a bunch of crap on the walls. Today I watched a YouTube video telling me, me that sidekicks don't work! I'm almost 65 and never competed in MMA. But in my Dojo we spared full contact. Sure you were supposed to pull some punches to the head. But times were different then. You wanted to know what you could do when you got rocked. Now this YouTube masterpiece has had 54k people watch it. Sidekicks don't work! I've folded a boxer that was ranked number 8th in the world with a front leg sidekick. This video, if he was taught that, whatever he is doing from a instructor, he should get a full refund. He is throwing this kick and showing no power. How about you twist your back foot and not stay in your horse stance, what if you rotated your hip. Your hip is where the explosion is. Please if your going to make a video, and your going to tell me at 64, with 50 years of practice that sidekicks have no power. Go to college and take a physics class.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you talking about Sensei Seth's video from August 12, 2020? That has a little over 54K views and I can't find any other videos along those lines. If so, you should note a few things ...

1. Seth is not an MMA fighter or coach. He's a karate instructor.
  2. He's not saying side kicks don't work. He's saying snap side kicks don't work. (i.e., they might look good in a kata or score in a point fighting competition, but they don't generate enough power).
  3. The whole reason he doesn't like them is because they don't involve that hip rotation you're looking for which generates power.
  4. He does in fact like side kicks and use them in sparring. He just doesn't use snap side kicks, he uses side thrust kicks, with hip rotation.
  5. The only reason he made the video in question was at the request of his fans who apparently have the side snap kick in their systems and wanted some insights into it.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I watch MMA to see it evolve. Most of the time I see the expensive mats, all the great gear that I never had. And a bunch of crap on the walls. Today I watched a YouTube video telling me, me that sidekicks don't work! I'm almost 65 and never competed in MMA. But in my Dojo we spared full contact. Sure you were supposed to pull some punches to the head. But times were different then. You wanted to know what you could do when you got rocked. Now this YouTube masterpiece has had 54k people watch it. Sidekicks don't work! I've folded a boxer that was ranked number 8th in the world with a front leg sidekick. This video, if he was taught that, whatever he is doing from a instructor, he should get a full refund. He is throwing this kick and showing no power. How about you twist your back foot and not stay in your horse stance, what if you rotated your hip. Your hip is where the explosion is. Please if your going to make a video, and your going to tell me at 64, with 50 years of practice that sidekicks have no
power. Go to college and take a physics class.
There is no video attached to your post for us to watch but I will say biased mindsets bash what they have been fed or taught. Or, more accurately Not been taught correctly.
I think most of the time it is a case of simply not working a technique to proficiency because they have been busy working other skills/styles.
Conversely, I had seen many TKD folks who will never have a devastating 'insert name' kick. More of an anatomy thing for them.
Augmenting a weakness is more important than improving any one strength for most people outside the ring.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’ll also comment that you don’t need a college physics class to understand a side kick. You just need some quality martial instruction.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is an interesting argument, because I could imagine that a side kick could be problematic due to grappling in MMA. However, spinning back kicks have worked in MMA, so who knows?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Compare to front kick, or roundhouse kick, the side kick is more risky. When you throw a side kick, your body is turning side way, at that moment, your back arm won't be able to reach to your opponent.

When you throw a side kick, if your opponent

- blocks your side kick,
- pushes your leading arm to jam your back arm,

he can punch your head with the other hand while you have no arm to block it.

When you throw a

- front kick, or roundhouse kick, your opponent may be afraid to move in (because he is afraid of your both punching arms).
- side kick, your opponent can move in to you (because he is not afraid of your punching arms. Even your leading arm can not throw a powerful punch at that moment).

IMO, a side kick can invite your opponent to attack you.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I’ll also comment that you don’t need a college physics class to understand a side kick. You just need some quality martial instruction.
😆 you don't even need a coach. Find some one with a good side kick and get nailed. Or the person can watch people on YouTube get their ribs cracked by the kick. I think about of the "don't use in a fight videos" use that title to get people to watch. I would get a lot of views if I create a video "don't use Bjj in a fight. "

Latest Discussions