My fight

M

muayThaiPerson

hmmm. id pass out. wat were his attributes? hieght, wieght, etc. and yours.

OP
Damian Mavis

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm 5 foot 9 and 70 kilos, he was slightly shorter (like an inch) and about 5 kilos lighter. He has lots of fight exprience though so I guess they figured that would even it out. He was cut like a mofo though and I have a little fat around my body (especially the love handles and lower tummy damnit) He was very muscular, i was surprised because alot of the Thai fighters have really muscular legs and abs but skinny arms and chest... but this guy was ripped and bulging.... I was pretty intimidated and so were my trainers. Just before I start one of them turns to me and says "don't mess around, this guy is the real thing". I was like "gee thanks! now I'm going to die" But as soon as the bell rung to start I put my fear aside and did my best.

My finger is only sprained luckily but I think my foot is going to take a month or so to heal, I was supposed to fight in Canada April 5th but I was overly optimistic about what happens to your body when you fight shin on shin..... welp now I know for next time.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations.

I have loved your posts, and I'm glad to know you've won.

Do you think you'll ever return to Thailand, or is that it?

OP
Damian Mavis

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Haha ya the ITF is probably real proud of me.... I'm sorry to say I don't think any of them give 2 patooties about anything that doesn't have to do with TKD. It's sad but I find most martial arts groups view other arts and their events with distrust and pessimism. The same goes for alot of my colleagues in the ITF.... but I do get it way worse from the Muay Thai guys back home.... they are so obviously closed minded and they don't care. The Muay Thai guys always tell me how TKD wouldn't work in the ring and that it's crap etc etc... I tolerated it up until now because they were more experienced than me (in Muay Thai) but after coming to Thailand and being trained by so many trainers that DON'T see anything worng with throwing in a TKD kick I realise that my poor friends in Muay Thai in Canada really don't have a clue about what they are talking about and are just being ignorant... hey, they are my friends but I call it like I see it.

Bod, if you want to see about my future plans for Thailand I have a thread labelled "ITF to WTF" in the Tae Kwon Do section. Basically I got a job offer to teach TKD here and I am seriously considering taking it.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

D

deacondad

Congrats Damien! Good luck on any future matches you may have.:asian:

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Damian Mavis
Haha ya the ITF is probably real proud of me.... I'm sorry to say I don't think any of them give 2 patooties about anything that doesn't have to do with TKD. It's sad but I find most martial arts groups view other arts and their events with distrust and pessimism. The same goes for alot of my colleagues in the ITF.... but I do get it way worse from the Muay Thai guys back home.... they are so obviously closed minded and they don't care. The Muay Thai guys always tell me how TKD wouldn't work in the ring and that it's crap etc etc... I tolerated it up until now because they were more experienced than me (in Muay Thai) but after coming to Thailand and being trained by so many trainers that DON'T see anything worng with throwing in a TKD kick I realise that my poor friends in Muay Thai in Canada really don't have a clue about what they are talking about and are just being ignorant... hey, they are my friends but I call it like I see it.

Bod, if you want to see about my future plans for Thailand I have a thread labelled "ITF to WTF" in the Tae Kwon Do section. Basically I got a job offer to teach TKD here and I am seriously considering taking it.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

So true. Every art thinks it is THE WAY, when in reality, it is just ONE of the many ways.

M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Damian Mavis

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD
You will be a great candidate for promoting tolerance. Most people fail to realize that a lot of the kicks are essentially the same, with small minor mechanical differences to get different attributes (such as reach and distance over power, speed, control, etc.).

Latest Discussions