My fight

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thankgod that is over...... I've been training for and stressing over my fight here in Thailand for the past 2 months and it is finally over! Unfortunately I only have 4 days left to really relax stress free until I go back to Canada but I'll make the best of it.

For those that don't know I fought a Muay Thai match last night here in Thailand. It was my very first full contact ring fight, the only protective gear we wore was boxing gloves. I've competed in Tae Kwon Do lots in the past but this was extremely different.... and scary as hell. My opponent was alot younger and fitter than me and cut like a Mofo... not too mention ugly too which just made him look more dangerous. They told me he had 40 fights. I was very nervous but the instant the bell went to start I calmed down. My competition experience helped out alot here I think because when I first started competing I use to get so nervous I would basically freeze up and blank out. After competing a few years I learned to stay focused and calm, which really paid off for me last night.

I won by body knock out in the second round. For all those Karate and Tae Kwon Do people here you will be pleased to know I won by using a turning sidekick (or 180 back kick or whatever someone calls it). It's a spinning kick to the ribs and I got him just at the right moment. I'd already kicked the guy full contact in the head bone on bone and punched him hard too but all he did was blink... I was pretty freaked out that this guy was too tough to take down but I got him with the sidekick.... thankgod. It's pretty scary when you nail someone in the head and they don't even flinch or move... I'll never forget that feeling. I was pretty happy with the whole experience, I would be happy even if I lost but winning definately is fun.

I got the whole fight on tape so when I get back I'll try to figure out how to put it on my website and people can watch it if they are interested.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

A

Angus

Congratulations!! That's extremely impressive, especially since very few Americans fight and win with much success in Thailand. That's awesome! Can't wait to see the video if you post it!

How long did the fight last? Where did you fight?

Regardless, congratulations again! Very cool.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Damian Mavis
Thankgod that is over...... I've been training for and stressing over my fight here in Thailand for the past 2 months and it is finally over! Unfortunately I only have 4 days left to really relax stress free until I go back to Canada but I'll make the best of it.

For those that don't know I fought a Muay Thai match last night here in Thailand. It was my very first full contact ring fight, the only protective gear we wore was boxing gloves. I've competed in Tae Kwon Do lots in the past but this was extremely different.... and scary as hell. My opponent was alot younger and fitter than me and cut like a Mofo... not too mention ugly too which just made him look more dangerous. They told me he had 40 fights. I was very nervous but the instant the bell went to start I calmed down. My competition experience helped out alot here I think because when I first started competing I use to get so nervous I would basically freeze up and blank out. After competing a few years I learned to stay focused and calm, which really paid off for me last night.

I won by body knock out in the second round. For all those Karate and Tae Kwon Do people here you will be pleased to know I won by using a turning sidekick (or 180 back kick or whatever someone calls it). It's a spinning kick to the ribs and I got him just at the right moment. I'd already kicked the guy full contact in the head bone on bone and punched him hard too but all he did was blink... I was pretty freaked out that this guy was too tough to take down but I got him with the sidekick.... thankgod. It's pretty scary when you nail someone in the head and they don't even flinch or move... I'll never forget that feeling. I was pretty happy with the whole experience, I would be happy even if I lost but winning definately is fun.

I got the whole fight on tape so when I get back I'll try to figure out how to put it on my website and people can watch it if they are interested.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Congradulations on Your Fight.
Sounds Like u had a Blast in more way's than 1
Good luck in the future.

M

MartialArtsGuy

Congratulations on the win.
I bet your looking forward to the next fight :D

:boxing:

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
WOO-PAH!

Congratulations Damian!
It sounds like your win was well-earned. (I bet he never saw that spining sidekick coming either. :D )

I'd love to see the video if you can put it on the web somehow.

So, is that a satisfying ending to your martial arts odyssey in Thailand? Or is it just the beginning?

D_Brady

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yor doing something most people only dream about, you knew what you wanted and you went for it .

You should proud of your self. I know we are.

Dan Brady.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing and congrats!

Cthulhu

E

Elfan

Thank you for sharring you experience. Why did you decide to compete in a full contact event?

A

Angus

Originally posted by tarabos
ah...but isn't Damian Canadian? :D

Ah, that's right! Well, it's all that much more impressive that an American wannabe can do it! Ooooooo! :D

M

MartialArtist

Oorah! Where are the vids? What stadium was it fought in?

OP
Damian Mavis

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thankyou very much everyone for the nice words. I'm in worse shape now 2 days later than I though. My lower shins took more of a beating than my body let me know until now... it hurts to walk and going down stairs is torture. My foot is all swollen up from respraining it and I go to the doctor here tomorrow to xray my finger to see if it is broken. At least my face and head are ok! Even with these injuries it was still way worth it. I'm very happy with how things went and that I put myself through this.

I wouldn't call the place I fought a stadium.... stadiums are usually where pro's go to fight. I'm just amatuer so fought at a smaller ring in Pattaya. There were probably only 200 people watching, the good part was that I was the main event! After my win half of Europe came up to me to shake my hand haha... well it felt like half of Europe. I tried to be as respectful to the Thai's as I could be and was happy that I didn't forget any of the traditions I wanted to remember.

This is a satisfying end to my martial arts experience here, I wish it could go on but I have to return to Canada in 3 days.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Latest Discussions