An Aikidoka's controversial journey into MMA: Is it helpful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can't tell which side of this you're arguing at the moment, DB, so I don't know what to disagree with. :p

Just in general. If you are slick enough then defending doesn't matter. You still get caught.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MMA is a sport.

Aikido has been around for thousands of years.
Aikido has been around for about 80 years, depending where you count the beginning (when he first used the name? when he first started teaching his own material?). It's based on Daito-ryu, which is arguably a few hundred years old, at best. Most likely, its recognizable form dates from about the time of Takeda Sokaku, from what I've heard.

Today's MMA fighters are not magically tougher than every ancient martial artist or warrior

Getting angry, aggressive and running in trying to punch someone's head off only works in a ring, when life is not on the line, and no death strikes are allowed. Its like running into battle with your balls on your face. It's easy to beat someone up when they're not allowed to simply end you, and if you're sure they're not going to be using any environmental weapons or whatever they may be carrying. Masters of Aikido could take down Samurai
Death strikes???

I can't agree with anything in that paragraph. Nothing.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Riiight

Because Americans today are the baddest warriors ever to live.

In fantasy land.

Where you're apparently from.

That's really the epitome of ignorance and arrogance
Where, precisely, has anyone in this thread claimed any badassery of any kind?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you though

Were you engaged in mortal combat?

I suppose netflix on your sofa is the smarter move. More intelligent than fighting. So, you must either really be an elite grandmaster or it was just dumb luck.

Either way, good for you.
You have no idea, do you?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, as wanker, life is a bit different than that of a warrior

Claim to be as badass as you want to be. You're not proving anything until you are engaged in mortal combat And if you are engaged in mortal combat, you're simply lucky enough to be living after the engagement regardless of your skill level. Nobody who lived in Feudal Japan considered themselves a badass. That title is reserved for Americans on television.
Did you, on your first day, miss the tagline of this site, by any chance?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Indeed

As in, you're not.

Neither is any MMA or sport fighter

Thus, picking on traditional martial arts rooted with ancient warriors because you think you can kick their *** in the octagon at the UFC is absolutely asinine.
Nor, quite clearly, are most people anywhere in martial arts. Not sure why you think there are a bunch of them on the TMA side. (And before you lose you mind, I'm mostly from the TMA side.)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am not claiming moral anything at all
your waffeling on and on about. War zones and riots you've been in, as if these give you some,deep insight in to the effectiveness or otherwise of aikido and that they give you superiority over those you claim would run, in such a situation, I'm proud to say, I'm a runner,in fact I'm a not going in the first placer

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right. If trouble seems to follow you, it might be you.

The UFC is a Joke. Stop pretending its the example of a real warrior and the ultimate expression of being anything but guy in tight underwear trying to punch someone in the face as much as he can until his brain separates from his skull and makes him forget how to dress himself for the rest of his life

Its not even on the same page as most Martial Arts. Its creating rules where the winner is free to punch people in the face a bazillion times or teabag him into submission and nothing more
You don't understand sport, or the usefulness of competition in training, do you?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, may or may not be . Based on your quick Wikipedia research project

And that's entirely enough for you to run your mouth about it being made up recently.

You're not even on the same page as having anything remotely accurate or interesting to say, Wikipedia boy
Based upon actual knowledge, from people with actual knowledge of the art. Which you sadly obviously lack.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm simply stating you're not a badass, regardless of how far you get in the UFC.

There are no badasses in ancient warrior culture. That's your little internet fanboy culture. You live in tv land. Let's just leave it at that, Fanboy.
So, then, why did you introduce the term? Nobody was talking badassery until you showed up. Seems you have an obsession with the word, and with the UFC.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're implying that he thinks he's a bad *** without knowing him. You also implied martial d was american, and that i train sportfighting (ignoring my username), and use wikipedia (which i didn't but somehow would have been an issue if i did?). You may want to slow down on your accusations until you have some sort of evidence or logic behind then
Bah, information is overrated, KD!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guy comes on forum. In the same day accuses at 3 longtime members of being trolls while being the only one to troll at all.

Ah you've got to love this site. I wonder if football attracts this type of people to their forums
Nope. Not enough badasses there.

Status
Not open for further replies.